Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Default Long term sleever success thread

OK, I named the other thread too much like the 1 + year post accountability thread. Here's the new one. This is for the experienced sleevers to tell us what they normally eat, how much and other tips. We don't want to gain the weight back! I'm 6 months post op.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default Re: Long term sleever success thread

I had my surgery April 2012.... Lost 140 lbs in one year... at 16 months I got pregnant with my now 6 month old son.. Gained 35 lbs through my pregnancy and lost it all within 3 weeks after giving birth... The last few months I have gained about 8 lbs... Lack of sleep, job stress, etc....

All in all.... I can still stay having this surgery was the best decision I ever made! Totally changed my life.. I can eat whatever I want..and yes... that includes JUNK!!! Definitely lead with protein as it fills you up faster.. Can I eat more now? YES!! I've had to make a conscious effort to really cut back on the junk.. I have 3 teenage boys in the house now so cooking healthy unfortunately took a back seat to convenience and picky palates!

Hoping to get back on track soon.... I would like to lose the 8 lbs that I have gained plus about 7 more... 15 lbs total...and back into my size 12's!!

5. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for this thread Lee6Lee!

For me, I am two years out, so the luster of the weight loss high has worn off, I am back to life and back to reality. For me I stay so busy with my companies keeping track of every little thing isn't something that I do. Instead I set limitations for myself, any time I I go down a size in clothes, I give the clothes that are loose to people who want to need them...that way when my new sizes start to feel tight, I know it is time to crack down and watch my habits.

The next thing that I do is set a weight regain limit, that limit is 5 lbs, I still weigh regularly, so that is the one I tend to notice quickly. Once I start edging towards that 5 lbs, I start tracking again, hit the gym, increase water intake etc. Realistically, I eat like most other people, but I think the moderation of the sleeve is what helps me maintain.

I think the biggest thing is just paying attention and remembering that regaining can sneak up on you quickly, so if you don't pay attention a regain is easy to go unnoticed. My doctor recently put me on a round of steroids, they told me because I was a wls patient they reassured me that I would gain weight, but the weight would come off when I stopped the steroids...I gained 8 lbs, and it has yet to come off. So my plan of action is eating veggies with lean meats cooked in coconut oil, or in a salad, drink only water, and protein shakes...and I will be back at the gym first thing tomorrow.

Lastly, I made a technology program that tracks every aspect of my weight loss. It is custom built by my company to my specifications, for beta testing...it is amazing, and makes the process SO much easier for me to keep up with with my busy life.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Thank you to you both...very enlightening! We need to hear all of these positive things and follow them. No regaining! That has to be our motto.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Melanie, you must let us know about your new program that tracks weight loss!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Blog Entries

You guys will be the first to know when the programming and beta testing is finished

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Bump

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I said I was going to stop posting, but, I can't help myself here. Mainly because the 3-4 month newbie "veteran" sleevers can't type an opinion about this subject. Actually, I may have spoken too soon. There are some who are so argumentative on here that they will try to convince everyone that 3-4 months is "Long Term". Actually, there are some newbies on here who will type a response to every post every time and then respond to the responders every time. So, I guess even this thread isn't safe.

But once again.....I digress.

So...here's my take. I'm 26 months post op. I had an issue come up the other day that actually made me gasp. I got on the scale to weigh this past Monday. I hadn't weighed in about two weeks. In that time frame, I took a three day fishing trip and completely sat on my ass for two more days. The fishing trip was extremely tiring and physical. However, after all of that in two weeks, I gained almost 10 pounds. I was eating horribly. Popcorn, lots of liquor, over eating, you know...typical vacation stuff. I broke every cardinal rule there was, and every piece of advice I give in my mantra. I paid the price.

So, I went back to the mother ship. Eating correctly, for me, (LOL for the "veteran sleevers"), moderate to light exercise, 100 ozs of WATER a day, 80 ozs of protein, supplements, and not over eating.

Result?

I am already down 7 lbs in three days and i know for a fact I'll be back to my normal weight by the end of the weekend. Oh.....and I did all that without stalling.....lol. Or resetting my pouch and eating centers in my brain.....(again...another shot at the newbies)

So, not only did my methods work for me to begin with, it worked for me when I needed it to the most. Make a plan, work the plan, own the results, and change as necessary. Since I invested the time to find out how my body needs to be fed in order to lose weight, I was able to quickly fix my problem instead of continuing to gain weight. That's precisely why I say you have to make your own plan as quickly as humanly possible. Without it, you can't fix it if you don't know how it works or why it broke.

So, in all seriousness. The weight gains can happen to all of us at any time if we let our guard down. But, because of this precious tool we all purchased, that weight gain does not have to be permanent. It's only permanent if you let it become permanent.

When you are at your goal weight, remember how you got there. That method that you came up with and succeeded with will serve you well for the rest of your life.

One more thing. This is for SethP. You wrote something very nice about me on another thread. I'm not going to respond to it on there, but I will here.

I appreciate your sentiments and I know for a fact that you are one of the Rock Star Losers on this board. You've already done a fantastic job and you strike me as the kind of person who will make it work for the rest of your life. Again...thanks for the kind words.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Tinman, thank you for all of your information! I wish I knew how to highlight and paste on here. But your post is here for everyone to read. Thanks for making the thread relevant.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 05:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey tinman. Please forward me your pre op/post op diet. It will be highly appreciated. Thanks an advance.

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Bump.
    I'm not a long-term sleever (just 6 months out), but am so grateful for this tool. I will never be overweight again IN MY WHOLE LIFE.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

25 months out. I have lost 100lb - my lightest was another 4lb lower but I'm happier this few pounds heavier. I fluctuate up and down by about 5lb.

Two years out I eat in a fairly flexible way. I prioritise protein, I take my multivitamins. I try to eat whole and unprocessed foods for my meals. I occasionally buy fast food, but perhaps once or twice a month. I eat out at restaurants regularly, and I can always find something. I don't bother with doggy bags (not so much the norm in the UK), but I am fine with leaving food on my plate.

I don't count anything - grams of protein, calories, amounts of liquid etc. I have general guiding principles and that's working so far.

I do eat treats almost daily but in small amounts. I don't keep them at home - I buy what I intend to eat at any given point, which stops me having more than I planned and also makes it a very conscious choice to get up and walk down to the local corner store. I avoid grazing (I think this is the most important thing for me). There are lots of slider foods and I can eat them all damn day if I allowed myself too.

Every now and again I take a break from junk and treats and eat clean for a few days at a time. I do this to remind myself that I can and to give my body a break from processed stuff. I almost never feel guilty about food and eating any more. Like Tinman describes above - I can balance it out if I have a period of poor eating.

I drink small amounts when I eat. I know that's against guidance but I find my mouth very dry if I am having a fairly dry meal without a drink. I have small sips, perhaps have 1-2 oz. I'm not recommending this, I'm just pointing out that this hasn't stopped me being successful.

I have also taken up exercise in a very regular way. Mostly running, but also swimming and cycling as I do short-course triathlons. I don't view it as weight management, but as health management. However undoubtedly it helps keep my weight down, my muscle mass up, improves my sleep and stress (big triggers for eating for me), and it also keeps me busy.

I am currently training for a half-marathon in December, and I've registered for the Paris marathon next April. I will probably reduce processed foods further to help my body be in better condition by feeding it less crap. I am starting to understand the concept of treating your body like a temple.

I love the quality of life I have obtained through the surgery.

Finally, I don't attribute all of my success to me. I think I'm lucky with how well the surgery has happened to work for me. The restriction works well for me - better than other people I know. Perhaps because I was normal weight until my late twenties I've been able to adjust better, who knows. Anyway, just want people who might be struggling more to know that some of this is luck. Yes I'm making it work for me, but I know other people who've worked hard and haven't happened to hit their goal. Any health improvement is worth it and is a success. Goal weight isn't the only measure of success.

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Great thread! I am not a long-term sleever yet, but I do appreciate all that has been said thus far.

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm over 1 year out now and hit my goal range after 9 months. "Losing" has never been my issue. Although I'd never reached goal (healthy BMI) before the sleeve, I'd lost the same 60 pounds several times over to at least put me in a place where I didn't have weight related health problems. Problem is, I'd gain it back with interest within a year Every. Damn. Time... to eventually land me in a place I had an armload of medicated health problems not completely controlled by the meds.

I look at it like this... I have been maintaining for 4 months. I'm still a noob at this. Maybe I'll feel more like a veteran when I've been maintaining for a couple of years! What do I eat? It's horrifying, I know, but I eat what I like in small quantities. I've never felt like I was on a "diet" or had to "give up" anything in this process. I lost like that and I maintain like that. While I was losing I tracked everything religiously, (mostly to keep an eye on my protein intake). Today, I track more loosely but still focus on protein first while working in the other things I want, (bread, veggies and the occasional indulgence).

I began a real exercise program at about 3 months out. Not a gym rat, I get up an hour early and spend some time on my stationary bike with Netflix and do some basic strength training, (regular pushups, crunches, chair dips, free weights). I do this 5 days per week. It is a habit I refuse to break. From the beginning I've weighed once per week and no more. Another habit.

Like @tinman, I went on vacation, ate like crap, drank like a fish and gained a little weight. I was horrified for about a second, then screwed my head on straight, continued my exercise habit, tuned up my tracking, cut back on the snacks and lost the 5 pounds I'd put on by the next week.

I'm pretty sure this is how "thin people" do it. They don't over eat. They move their bodies. They don't aim to be perfect, but make more healthy choices than low nutrition ones. Most weigh occasionally to "check in" and make sure they're not too far off track, and they take corrective action when necessary.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    08-12-2020 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 243 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

If they need more beta testers, and if it made sense, I'd be on board in the future to help you test it. Intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by zmdh39 View Post
    Thanks for this thread Lee6Lee!

For me, I am two years out, so the luster of the weight loss high has worn off, I am back to life and back to reality. For me I stay so busy with my companies keeping track of every little thing isn't something that I do. Instead I set limitations for myself, any time I I go down a size in clothes, I give the clothes that are loose to people who want to need them...that way when my new sizes start to feel tight, I know it is time to crack down and watch my habits.

The next thing that I do is set a weight regain limit, that limit is 5 lbs, I still weigh regularly, so that is the one I tend to notice quickly. Once I start edging towards that 5 lbs, I start tracking again, hit the gym, increase water intake etc. Realistically, I eat like most other people, but I think the moderation of the sleeve is what helps me maintain.

I think the biggest thing is just paying attention and remembering that regaining can sneak up on you quickly, so if you don't pay attention a regain is easy to go unnoticed. My doctor recently put me on a round of steroids, they told me because I was a wls patient they reassured me that I would gain weight, but the weight would come off when I stopped the steroids...I gained 8 lbs, and it has yet to come off. So my plan of action is eating veggies with lean meats cooked in coconut oil, or in a salad, drink only water, and protein shakes...and I will be back at the gym first thing tomorrow.

Lastly, I made a technology program that tracks every aspect of my weight loss. It is custom built by my company to my specifications, for beta testing...it is amazing, and makes the process SO much easier for me to keep up with with my busy life.
    Day of Surgery 7/22: 201
    Month 1: 187
    Month 2: 176
    Month 3: 166
    Month 4: 158
    Month 5: 150
    Month 6: 143
    Month 7: 138
    Month 8: 133
    Month 9: 130 (reached target goal)
    Month 10: 126
    Month 11: 126
    Month 12: 123
    Month 13-18: 121-123 (weight range on maintenance)

Current goal: maintain weight in low 120s. Exercise 6 days a week - weight lifting, yoga, biking, running, paddleboarding, and just being active.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast