Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    08-12-2020 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 243 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

Default Re: Long term sleever success thread

Great advice here. This is a fantastic thread. I love hearing from those of you who are more experienced and long term success stories. I not only want to lose the weight, I want to keep it off. I do not feel like I am dieting. I am making healthy choices, most of the time, but overall I am eating what I think my body needs.

I can tell you with Halloween Friday, I will treat myself to a piece or two of my favorite candy. But I will do so after I eat so that I cannot eat the bowl. And if I do eat more than I should, I will get myself back on track fast. It sounds like that is key from what I read above.

It's ok to indulge (especially once your goal is met) but as soon as you are impacted, stop and reset by better habits and you will be fine.

Wise words. Thanks again everyone!
    Day of Surgery 7/22: 201
    Month 1: 187
    Month 2: 176
    Month 3: 166
    Month 4: 158
    Month 5: 150
    Month 6: 143
    Month 7: 138
    Month 8: 133
    Month 9: 130 (reached target goal)
    Month 10: 126
    Month 11: 126
    Month 12: 123
    Month 13-18: 121-123 (weight range on maintenance)

Current goal: maintain weight in low 120s. Exercise 6 days a week - weight lifting, yoga, biking, running, paddleboarding, and just being active.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Having individuals that understand what technology like this is suppose to accomplish is crucial to proper beta testing. You should see some of the looks I have gotten from the programmers when asking them to build out certain components...you can tell that they don't understand the function of what they are building because they do not understand weight loss, or maintaining weight loss...so having people that understand how the end result is supposed to work is crucial. Thank you for the offer, however I would have to have approval from the forum owner(s). Technology like this is normally never released without proper investment, strategic partnerships, and a way to get the technology to the public. I wouldn't risk trying to release the program, even for beta testing on a 3rd party platform, without consent of the owner(s).

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Let's hear from some more experienced sleevers! As for me, I'm out of town visiting family and am a little afraid to weigh myself when I get home. So I'll wait a few days after that! But the ticker keeps us accountable. My goal is 150 and then I want to concentrate on maintaining. 150....come to me!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee6Lee View Post
    Let's hear from some more experienced sleevers! As for me, I'm out of town visiting family and am a little afraid to weigh myself when I get home. So I'll wait a few days after that! But the ticker keeps us accountable. My goal is 150 and then I want to concentrate on maintaining. 150....come to me!
    Anyone who thinks this process is easy is wrong...anyone who thinks that the weight loss part of this journey will continue without effort is wrong...and anyone who thinks they are not going to have days or weeks where they don't hit stalls, set backs, or even at times gains...those people are just nuts lol.

Lee6Lee, I can't even tell you how many times I have gone on a business trip, out of of town, or visited family and friends and came back not wanting to weight myself...take it from me, do it anyway. It may not seem like there is a reason for this advice, but there is. You see, ignoring or not understanding our habits is what got us into this mess in the first place. The fact that you are only six months out is irrelevant. I say this because it is the perfect time to analyze your behaviors...in a relaxed setting and see what your habits might be...this info is invaluable in the long run of things, and here is why.

I think that many people regain because they never completed the journey in the first place. When you hit your goal weight, for many people this is our "relaxed period"...after all, we have hit goal weight, and for a long time many will maintain it with ease. However...after time, at least in my experience, if you don't have a full grasp of the whole picture, then it is far easier to regain after meeting goal.

I say, go ahead and weigh yourself, don't wait for you to forget the choices you made when you were out of town...not to guilt yourself, but to better understand how you naturally want to react in a relaxed setting, when you take the weight loss fighting gloves off.

Many people have this surgery, and naturally adapt their eating habits into a better lifestyle...and I say awesome for them...on the other hand I find many people adapt for a while, and then quickly forget after all is said an done. Analyzing how you naturally react in a relaxed setting is an excellent road map on how your body might react once you have met your goal...hitting goal is only half the formula...understanding what lead you to become obese in the first place is key to understanding how to avoid it in the future. Knowing where you stand, where you mess up or are likely to mess up, and accountability are key in long term success...so in my opinion...weigh away dear!

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Also, here is a good thread for newbie sleevers, and those hitting stalls. I think it would be a good addition to the thread...

http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/t...ng-stalls.html

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Thank you, Melanie. I will weigh myself! Maybe I'll be surprised. In a good way. It's happened.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Name
    Jessy
    Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ahmed Ibrahim
    Last Activity
    12-13-2016 02:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone i'm 3 yrs post op & here r my 2 cents:
    I've been sleeved for 3 years now & have gained a bit but i've also learned that there are a few things control how much u gain weight back:
    1- the amount of carbs & sugars u take per day
    2- the amount of exercise (ANY exercise) u exert EVERYDAY
    3- the frequency of ur meals ( i learned that u need to snack on a high protein or a high fiber food)whether ur hungry or not
    4- u need to quit forcing urself to finish up ur plate...even if only a bite literally is left on ur plate
    5- u need to minimize having sugary or carb loaded items within reach....or at least always always have a protein snack available on hand.
    6- once u slack on counting calories, consuming carbs, sugary items..even in small quantities AND when u slack on DAILY exercise...u will gain weight!
    7- u need to weigh EVERYDAY and take body measurements as well with a measuring tape & keep a weekly record of any changes
    8- poor consumption of water can lead to unnecessary eating...ie: u maybe thirsty but not know it....before snacking on anything...drink a glass of water first
    9- DO NOT get cocky about weight loss! it's a life-long hard process & the sleeve is only a tool...just a tool! Abuse it & it will not work!
    10- Always test how ur body fits in tight clothes...relying on baggy outfits will keep u unaware of subtle changes & will encourage weight gain.
    11- Ur diet & exercise ALWAYS come first before ANYTHING (husband, home chores, kids...whatever).
    12- If ur weight escalates, do not freak out, breathe....remember how it's only a few pounds that could be salvaged, it's not the end of the world YET...however the weight gain will not go down as easily since u need to plan more now & control ur hunger pangs & food choices
    13- Never let go of the protein shakes & vitamins...u need to keep maintaining that 80-100 gms of protein a day for the hunger pangs & hair loss issue!
    14- If u sleep less than you should, you will end up craving carbs & sugar...when ur physically tired...it's easy to give in to comfort food.
    15- If exercising in a gym is not feasible, then walk around the block, do home video exercises....ANYTHING...just move.
    16- Depression = carbs/suger overload = instant weight gain & lethargy
    17- Diet sugar helped me a lot vs regular sugar in coffee & tea...i'm not a soda drinker at all, but still relying on "fake" sugar helps sometimes...also i switched to honey recently...just cuz it's healthier...but i still need to count the calories
    18- Accept that ur gonna diet for life....the thing is small diet food portions now should satisfy u more than pre-op...esp. if u load ur plate with sauteed veggies.
    19- Protein & veggies can be baked or roasted...not necessarily boiled with no taste
    20- Relying on PAM (no calorie cooking sprays) and spices like cinnamon, paprika, oregano, dried garlic & dried onions make a huge difference in taste without adding many calories.
    21- Slacking a little goes a looooong way in the long run....it's about getting used to a healthy lifestyle.
    22- Do not get discouraged easily! Nobody said it's an easy process....this will take time & effort!
    23- Losing weight is easy...keeping it off is way more challenging.
    24- Never change the sequence of how u eat: Protein first, then veggies then carbs then sweets.
    25- Make a diary of how u feel , what u eat, what u did as exercise...it keeps u on track.
    26- If u have a slip up, don't dwell too much....feel guilty, plan better, get determined not to have it happen again. We are all human, this isn't an easy process, it will take time, effort & energy.
    27- Plan ahead for food & exercise...failing to plan is planning to fail indeed. Prepare ur breakfast & lunch for work before u sleep. Keep water at hand always as well as protein bars, dried fruit & nuts.
    28- There will always always always be people around u either snickering at ur weight loss or weight gain & constantly giving advice...do ur best to ignore them & stay focused on ur own pace & efforts. U know ur body best.
    29- Always stay informed. I keep reading whatever I can read online about how to decrease carb cravings, how to maintain weight loss, quick exercises....always be informed.
    30- As hard as it was for me, try not to obsess about this issue. This is gonna be ur challenge for the rest of ur life...learn to cope with it. There will be ups & downs...but it's up to you to figure out how to get a grip again.

I hope i've helped these pieces of advice go to me first before anyone out there....i'm desperately trying to get back to my lowest weight loss point...i'm sure i will, but i'm sure it won't be overnight & i'm trying to be as patient as possible about this.

It's just not easy everyday....but i'll get there hopefully Have a great day everyone

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Melanie. I will weigh myself! Maybe I'll be surprised. In a good way. It's happened.
    Yes, do it! I felt the same when I returned from a 4 day vacay in New Orleans last month. It was an eat-fest and a booze-fest in typical New Orleans style! I didn't eat or drink NEARLY like I would have pre-sleeve, but still over did it and wouldn't change anything about that trip for the world! When I returned home I found I'd gained 5 pounds, (in 4 days). Didn't freak out or really even regret my "poor choices" because this is part of the process! Just got back into my daily exercise and eating routines. That weight was off within 2 weeks and I'm back below goal now! If you fell of the track you'll get back on too!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Bump
    Thank you to all long term sleevers!

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 05:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Heather I'm from New Orleans and that place will keep you obese if you don't watch it��. My family believe in putting a whole lot of food on your plate. Everything is surrounded by food��. I go home every summer and that's how I gain my weight back. This time when I go home, I will be tempted but will have total control. Give me a teaspoon of gumbo not a whole bowl. Give me a piece of a poboy sandwich not a whole sandwich.

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

I weighed myself this morning, as promised, after several days of birthday cake, baby shower cake and all the trimmings. Absolutely no gain...but no loss, either! I'm not complaining! Back on track and I'll be fine. I hadn't weighed in about two weeks, so I probably gained the 2 pounds I would have lost. But I'm so happy!

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

I weighed myself this morning, as promised, after several days of birthday cake, baby shower cake and all the trimmings. Absolutely no gain...but no loss, either! I'm not complaining! Back on track and I'll be fine. I hadn't weighed in about two weeks, so I probably gained the 2 pounds I would have lost. But I'm so happy!
    Congrats!

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

I am almost 3 years out.

Things that I do to keep my weigh in check. I am 10 lbs above my lowest. It is hard to lose a few pounds these days.

1. Weigh regularly. I weigh daily and write it down.
    2. Exercise regularly. I exercise about 5 to 6 times a week. Cardio exercise for me.
    3. Write down what I eat. I always do better when I write down what I eat. For some reason, if you write down eating chocolate 10 times a day, it becomes more real.
    4. Drink enough water, tea, coffee. I keep track of how much liquid I drink. I don't care if it is tea or coffee. For me, it counts as long as it is not sweeten.
    5. Eat protein first.
    6. Eat healthy. I found that I need to eat protein with veggies to lose weight. If I just eat protein, I would eat too much calories.
    7. Never give up, weight will go up and down. When I am stress, I do eat more. But I can't go back to how I was before surgery, this is a second chance of being healthy for me, I don't want to give it up.
    8. I do let myself eat treats, I just don't eat too much of it.
    9. Get rid of the big clothes and buy clothes that fit. If I can't put on my jeans, I need to do something about it now not later.

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times

Thank you to all long term sleevers! We want to hear from you!

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

2 years, 5 mo here! I totally agree that you have to weigh every single day! For me, if I know where I am, I know what to do and am able to plan accordingly! That means if I am staying where I should be, it is ok to add in some carbs that day. Heck, the pumpkin lattes won't be around forever! lol! However, if that scale moves, right back on the protein trail, baby! Also, I am one of those weird people who does not believe protein shakes are the answer to living with the sleeve. Nothing against those who do, but I don't want to start me day off with all those calories and realistically, you have to learn to eat real food to be successful long term. I know I used to drink so much pop that it freaks me out to think of drinking my calories. So anyway, glad to have another venue for these types of discussions!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast