Dr Ian Martin
    Last Activity
    05-04-2019 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times
    Blog Entries

Default The dreaded hair loss.

I have read dozens of posts on the subject of hair loss and now that it is happening to me I have a question to ask that I haven't seen asked before (or at least I haven't come across a similar question). I would like to know at what stage does the hair loss stop i.e. will I go completely bald or will I just have a turn around in a month or two and gradually get it all back? It's a bit scary even though it has not come as any surprise to me as it is a common side effect. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shalon
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Garcia
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 11:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The dreaded hair loss.

Mine's started coming back. Now my head is about 2/3 longer (presurgery?) hair and 1/3 the much shorter regrowth.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

Mine fell out drastically for about 2 months then stopped as fast as it started. It's been growing back for a while now and is most visible around my hairline. The short hairs are obvious to me because they stick straight up and I wear my hair tied back most of the time. My ponytail is far, far thinner than it should be but it will take forever to grow that long. I'm too chicken to get it cut off so we're at a stand-off!

Would I choose not to have surgery to avoid this hair horror? No way. I'd have the surgery again in a heart-beat given how great I feel and much better I look even with thin hair. Hell - even my hair is thin! Maybe it just gets jealous!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    09-25-2014 04:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 715 Times
    Blog Entries

Did your doctor not go into this with you? From some of the questions I've read tonight.. it floors me. NOT that people are asking this question... but that they HAVE to ask this question. Like.. my Bariatric Dr, my nutrionist, and my personal doctor have all gone over this sort of thing... almost every visit. Mostly, my nutrionist.

I HATE that it seems that alot of people are NOT getting that support from their doctors, et all.

No, you will not go bald. Your body just needs to use all it's resources to heal yourself and then on top of that you have your body rapidly reducing it's weight so it again needs to focus itself on what it considers its priorities.

I know it will not help you now, but if a person starts taking Biotin at least 30 days before surgery, it severely lowers the chance of hair loss and/or the severity of the loss.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Karynna View Post
    Did your doctor not go into this with you? From some of the questions I've read tonight.. it floors me. NOT that people are asking this question... but that they HAVE to ask this question. Like.. my Bariatric Dr, my nutrionist, and my personal doctor have all gone over this sort of thing... almost every visit. Mostly, my nutrionist.

I HATE that it seems that alot of people are NOT getting that support from their doctors, et all.

No, you will not go bald. Your body just needs to use all it's resources to heal yourself and then on top of that you have your body rapidly reducing it's weight so it again needs to focus itself on what it considers its priorities.

I know it will not help you now, but if a person starts taking Biotin at least 30 days before surgery, it severely lowers the chance of hair loss and/or the severity of the loss.
    Many, many of the people on here have gone to Mexico for the surgery. There is little to no follow up from their doctors, from what I have read.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member TraceyLee's Avatar
    Name
    Tracey
    Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Stephan Clifforth
    Last Activity
    08-04-2018 02:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

I've been told that the hair loss is about the same as some women suffer after pregnancy. I had a hysterectomy 12months ago and a few months later started losing hair. It didn't last long and it's regrown beautifully. I'm now not too worried about this although much greyer my hair is soft and strong. I am religiously taking multi vitamins hoping it will help

First goal : under 100kg (done)
    Second goal : under 90kg (done)
    Third goal : under 80kg ( yes!!! done)
    Fourth goal : under 70kg
    Ultimate goal : 60kg