Surgery date
    03/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Not loosing much

Monday its going to be 4 weeks since my surgery. I lost about 14-15 lbs first 3 weeks and nothing since. I consume very little, i don't retain fluids, and i am appalled how this is even possible. Anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kletha G.
    Surgery date
    05/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carl Pesta
    Last Activity
    07-01-2020 10:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not loosing much

From other posts I have read, you could be eating not enough. Your body will resist losing if you are not getting enough calories, it will think it has to hold on to what you have.

Also many people have a one month stall. Could be either.

Again, not personal experience yet but that seems to be the consensus.

Highest Weight: 279
    Surgery: May 6, 2014 - Weight: 269.6
    May 21: 262.2 (Surgeon's goal is 200)
    June 11,2014: 255.2
    July 16, 2014: 249.2
    Oct. 15, 2014: 231.2 (what's up with .2?)
    Nov. 17, 2014: 229.2

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thinmeskreamin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    dr Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    02-19-2015 10:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

My bariatric nutritionist was a huge help. You will stall. Then loose then stall. Everyone is different. Age, metabolism , calories.. and in what, your level of activity etc. Theres no majic wand it will come off. Be patient or doesn't come off over night. Next thing you know your there.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

It's a normal pattern to stall for periods after losing a fair bit. Having the first one at around the three week mark is very common. It doesn't mean anything bad and you don't need to panic and try and make it stop. Just keep following your guidance, make sure you're getting in your fluids as well as eating right. I stalled regularly for periods of weeks, and made my goal weight without every trying to 'break' a stall.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/05/2014
    Surgeon
    David Suh
    Last Activity
    09-13-2014 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

My surgery was 03/05 and I have only lost 20 pounds. As a result, I am frustrated also.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Street
    Last Activity
    06-22-2015 07:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 577 Times

Hi EsTeRap, I had my sleeve surgery on 3/24/14 so I am a week ahead of you but suffering through the same fate. I know I am not eating enough but I have yet to figure out how to get anymore down! <chuckle> Thank goodness for unflavored protein powder it helps me get my 50-60 grams of protein a day but I have yet to get anymore than 44 ounces of water in me. Water hits my stomach hard. I have tried all sorts of flavorings, Crystal Light, etc...no no avail. It's very discouraging no to have the weight just falling off but what I try to do is take hope in the fact that at least I am not having that horrible starving feeling and no thoughts of cheating what so ever. That is pretty amazing. I was so looking forward to being able to have half a toasted English muffin with a poached egg and a tablespoon of grated cheese on it this week, took 2 bites and for the first time since surgery I threw up. Sigh....I am happy this evening though because I was able to keep 3 ounces of fresh steelhead down. Best wishes, remember this isn't a sprint it's a marathon, so stay off the scales and only check once every 7 or 10 days to help keep you spirits up. You are doing a very brave and good thing for yourself and it will work.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times

Thank you so much for responding and your comments. I cant imagine that i am not eating enough, i probably get about 1000 per day. May be even 1200. I have no trouble swallowing as long as i chew it well and take in only 3-4 bites at a time. Never felt like throwing up and pretty much eat almost everything by this time, i only avoid dry, rough or fried foods. I am afraid i am eating too much . I suppose i just need to be more patient and hide my scales for awhile and let things take their course... Thanks again for all your thought, i greatly appreciate it. It feels a bit alone without you guys

Surgery date
    03/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pedkomeni
    Last Activity
    03-20-2023 05:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I know the feeling I am their myself. I had my sleeve on 3/10/14 lost a few pounds by my 2wk post -op visit on 3/24/14 but at my one month visit on 4/08/14 I gained 1lb no biggie that time of the month. However, I keep losing and gaining that same lb and nothing more. It is very frustrating and if not for this website I don't know what I would do. Everyone is so encouraging and helps me to stay focused and give me hope that things will get better. So i'm just waiting on my better. I eat and exercise, however I haven't seen a change yet sooooo?????......

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EsTeRap View Post
    Thank you so much for responding and your comments. I cant imagine that i am not eating enough, i probably get about 1000 per day. May be even 1200. I have no trouble swallowing as long as i chew it well and take in only 3-4 bites at a time. Never felt like throwing up and pretty much eat almost everything by this time, i only avoid dry, rough or fried foods. I am afraid i am eating too much . I suppose i just need to be more patient and hide my scales for awhile and let things take their course... Thanks again for all your thought, i greatly appreciate it. It feels a bit alone without you guys
    From what I've seen here, 1000 to 1200 calories, at 26 days out, is a little on the high side. I notice now that each time I stop losing for more than 2 weeks, if I spend just one day logging my food intake (myfitnesspal), I become more aware of what I am eating and the loss starts again shortly after. I'd hate to have to do that every day but it does help put me back on track. That does NOT mean you should be eating 400-600 calories and not one calorie more. Just eat small amounts making sure you don't overeat. Be sensible about what you put in your mouth but not so crazy that you deny yourself the small pleasures.

My nutritionist also says that everyone loses in cycles that are unique. After a few months, if you keep track, you should start to see a pattern emerge. Based on what we see (and experience) here on the forum, it's also terribly normal to not lose weight around the 3 to 4 week mark. Even more normal to freak out about it! Usually what happens is that by the time we've had a whinge and stress about it; tried three new things; had another whinge - the losing starts again. I'm pretty sure it's just the cycle of losing thing. Stay strong!

B. xxx

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times

Hi Bella, thank you for your thoughtful response. I totally agree. I am very aware of what i eat, i do not eat any junk or processed foods. I eat fresh, mostly home cooked meals and literally 3-4 bites at a time. I do not eat any sugar free stuff as it is full of artificial sweeteners and i believe they are evil, i had horrible reactions in the past from aspartame. I avoid sugar, just but a bit of organic unprocessed honey in my tea. I also do not eat fat free stuff as it is full of starches and emulsifiers and i rather have a bit of healthy fat than those extra carbs. The first few weeks as i was not able eat solids, i was picking some soups from restaurants when i wasn't able to cook and i think most of them are loaded with heavy cream and tons of calories, so i stopped doing that. I noticed that if i eat solids and chew them well, it takes longer and i am able to swallow less that if i eat blended food of smoothies. So i think i am going to continue that. I don't feel i am overeating, i literally stop after my 4th bite. I am learning to live this new life and appreciate everybody's input. I still feel too fatigue to excersize , so may be when i add that, things will speed up. I am a bit inpatient by nature, so want to see those results fast

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times

That must be maddening, now i hear that if they remove less than 80% of your stomach some people do not loose the weight. My doc said he will remove 80, but how do we know how much exactly was removed

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/17/2013
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

You're doing better than I did at 26 days still drinking smoothies. I was so over liquids by that stage I'm not sure if I'll ever drink a smoothie/shake again! Your starting weight is very similar to mine. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quick it disappears. It'll also go quicker than you can imagine right now. Good luck!

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

That must be maddening, now i hear that if they remove less than 80% of your stomach some people do not loose the weight. My doc said he will remove 80, but how do we know how much exactly was removed
    It's not really done in "percentages". Sleeves sizes are measured by bougie sizes. The bougie is what the doctor uses to size the sleeve during surgery.

Mine was a 36F. But studies have shown that bougies 32F up to 40F all are effective at helping the patient lose weight.

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Monday its going to be 4 weeks since my surgery. I lost about 14-15 lbs first 3 weeks and nothing since. I consume very little, i don't retain fluids, and i am appalled how this is even possible. Anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

I suggest that you go to my profile and read some of my posts concerning stalls and what to do so that you can bust em and never have them again.

That's right. I said never stall again.

The methods I write about are strictly based on my own experiences and I do not claim that they will work for you. I can however claim that they have worked for many on here and I know this because they tell me.

Once I perfected a method that worked for me, I never stalled again. I stalled at the three week mark like everyone else, and kept stalling every few weeks until I hit the mother of all stalls. Almost two months. But, I busted it and started losing again and lost 240 lbs over all.

Stalls are a natural occurrence, but, you don't have to wait them out and in time, you don't have to have them at all.

Or...you can wait until my book comes out and then buy it.....lol. But, why buy the cow when the milk is free....lol.

Good Luck!!

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Okay, I'm an analyst during the day. I admit that. So looking at your numbers, since your surgery you've already lost 22.58% of the weight you want to lose. That's AMAZING!!!!! I thought I was a failure at the three week stall but I survived and have done well since then. Hang in there and remember the three keys: Protein, Water, Exercise, Attitude. Commit to those each day and you have no choice but to succeed.

You can do this

26. Said thanks: