Surgeon
    Dr. Nusbaum
    Last Activity
    05-02-2019 06:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 5 months post op and in a 2 month stall!!

So I've been in a stall for 2 months now. I'm not stressing over it. I have noticed in the last couple weeks my body is changing and getting smaller. But something interesting happened. I ate so much yesterday. At dinner I ate too much and was in discomfort for 20 mins. I got up this morning and lost 2 lbs???? I'm so confused?? Am I not eating enough? I track daily and I'm eating approx. 1100 calories. I'm getting in no less than 80 g of protein. And I'm drinking plenty. Any suggestions would be helpful. How many calories should I be eating at 5 + months post op.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Aspinetti's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annette
    Surgery date
    09/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Atkinson
    Last Activity
    12-27-2014 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: 5 months post op and in a 2 month stall!!

i have the same experiences daily!! when i seem to eat a lot and have a pig out day, i lose weight and when i eat correctly i don't lose weight!! its really hard for me to wrap my head around. the magic number seems to be around 1300-1500 calories to lose weight. anything under that i stay the same good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow! Worth a try. Just looked back on myfitness pal report & saw that I have only lost 3 pounds in the last 30 days - I am just shy of 7 months - I eat about 1000 cal a day & pretty much just protein (salmon, chicken breast, yogurt) I am thrilled with my losses for my size so far but am still 15 pounds short of my personal goal so I am hoping for a bit more. You have raised a point - perhaps it would be worthwhile to shake it up a bit. thanks for sharing your experience. Even with the slow loss, I recognize that it is still a loss & continue to be thrilled with my decision to do this!! Yeah me!! Yeah us all here!!

Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Pierce
    Last Activity
    05-11-2020 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

I find that I go through these periods of my body rejecting foods that I normally eat, a slow bowel movement and doing everything correctly that I don't lose any weight. Example: I was having a hard time eating chicken when in the past it was easy. My 'baby' didn't like it. Plus, my bowels were slow to move - maybe off by a week and I was experiencing more heartburn than normal in the morning. Although I am exercising, taking my vitamins, counting calories and carbs/protein and drinking my water, bowels are slow to move, this pattern has been an indicator for me that once I have that backed up bowel movement, I loss a few pounds and will start back up for a bit at least until another 2-3 week stall happens.

I am trying to listen to my body signals as an indicator of my next weight loss. Again, we have to know that our bodies are going through starvation mode because remember, our calorie intake for years far exceeded what we are able to take in now and not as healthy, so it is holding onto every ounce of food and sucking it dry (literally) before it is released. Don't get discouraged and know that we all go through this. Do what you need to do for you and congratulations on your weight loss
    Height: 6'0"
    Shape: Apple (No Hips)
    Information Session: August 14, 2013

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

As weird as it sounds, I think sometimes eating a bit more does shake the body up enough to lose a few pounds. One day I ate and actually felt discomfort--I do anything to avoid that feeling--at the end of the week I had a substantial loss, just by eating a little bit more than I'm used to.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    05/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce De Leon
    Last Activity
    09-28-2017 01:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times
    Blog Entries

You should watch a YouTube video By Matthew Weiner he mentions something something similar in one of his video. He has several videos on YouTube but the one I am thinking about has to do with maintaining you weight loss for more than the first two years. I couldn't wrap my mind around what he was trying to of explain but after reading your post I think I get it know. Please watch and let new know if i am on the right track

Surgery date
    01/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gluck
    Last Activity
    11-28-2015 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 202 Times
    Blog Entries

1200 calories is not enough for the long term. Why do we think we need to count calories. I keep repeating the sleeve is a tool, portion control, eat your protein 1st, veggies 2nd, and whatever 3rd (whatever you want). You won't have enough room to eat much whatever, if anything at all. My nut does not want us to count calories. When I became morbidly obese, I lost the ability to know what my body was asking for. Now I know that when I grave something my body is telling me it needs something from what I am graving. Stick with eating 3 or 4 times a day eat in the right order and when our sleeve reaches the capacity of 8 to 12 ounces we will be like most thin people, we eat what we want, get enough nutrition, and maintain a healthy weight. All this counting calories, what we eat, and depriving our bodies of what it is asking for, sounds like a diet to me, and I don't know about everyone else, but most of us failed miserably at dieting. Deprive your body of calories and it will go into starvation mode and the yo yo weight lose and gain will start back up and the pounds will begin to come back. Diet is a four letter word.

Gastric Sleeve Member Winniep12's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Nusbaum
    Last Activity
    05-02-2019 06:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

Well I count calories and it works for me. Since increasing my calories I've starting losing. So it works for me