Surgeon
    Dr. John Gonzales
    Last Activity
    12-18-2014 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Feeling discouraged :(

Hi, I'm new to this and recently completed my one year surgiversary. For the last few weeks, I've been stuck at the weight I'm at which is 165 pounds. I've lost a little over 100 pounds and I was ecstatic about it but lately I am feeling unhappy because the pounds aren't coming off and I feel like I am always hungry and i feel that I can eat more than I should be able to. Is there anyone else out there that is experiencing this? I need some advice. Please help.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    06/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Robert Shin
    Last Activity
    05-31-2014 09:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 642 Times

Default Re: Feeling discouraged :(

Congrats! Seem to be doing Great! I am 11 months out and have only lost 64... What was your weight before surgery? age? Sometimes if you change the exercise up a little it helps... ex; if going to the gym for your workouts, maybe take a week off and walk 3 or 4 times that week. I hope this helps some.... Best of luck!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member rxtech932002's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/26/2014
    Surgeon
    dr. Robert Shin
    Last Activity
    10-29-2014 08:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Peggy you look great

Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donald Schwab
    Last Activity
    06-13-2016 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 274 Times in 246 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,770 Times
    Blog Entries

The first year is considered to be the HONEYMOON period of this surgery. After a year your body has adjusted to the New stomach. You can still lose weight but it becomes a lot slower. You need to take the bull by the horns and start to do different sorts of exercise to keep your body guessing. I just made a year also and feel like I could do more to drop some weight. The sleeve is still there and so is the restrictions so it is up to me to get my body in motion to make it burn more. You could always go back to basics and do a FIVE DAY POUCH test. I have read of some doing this to get them back on track. I know that I need to get my butt in gear and that is the hardest part for me. Godspeed on your journey.
    LIFE is NOT a Spectator SPORT!!

Highest weight ----343 lbs 2008
    First Consult weight--288 lbs 3/10/13
    Surgical weight ---266 lbs 5/10/13
    Lowest adult weight 237 lbs 12/03/13

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

You have to take a close and honest look at yourself. How much and how often are you eating? What's the quality of the food you eat? Are you more active than before? Start there, then think about your behaviors and decide if you wan to change anything. Do you? Don't be discouraged, it's all internal. It's all things you can change!
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    08/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chae
    Last Activity
    03-22-2017 04:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Get busy friend. You are noticing a hunger and then thinking about it. Maybe your stall is about needing change again...

I have had stalls all along the way. I guess that is just my way of changing. So be it, I decided. When I stall for weeks on end, I tend to notice the physical changes and differences in my closet. What I like to wear has changed, the colors have changed, well... there is color in my closet now. I take a big bag to Goodwill, pick up the next size down and find a new exercise to do. I will buy new clothes for myself when I get to the size I am most comfortable. Until then, Goodwill is good enough. I am in each size only for a couple of months anyway.

I decided that if I want things to change for my body, I have to keep changing things up. This is all about changing your mind and your body. The surgery helped you start changing your body, and all along the way you have been changing your mind. Try taking the time to notice your changes. You eat differently, you move differently, you shop differently and so on.

For me, it was exercise. That was my battle. I hated it. DUH! That was just one of the reasons why I was so big. Hating the word exercise, it became about moving. That was tough enough. So, I started out walking. Like everyone else, that was enough. Then walking wasn't enough and I hit a stall. So I changed what I was doing and walking became swimming, then swimming became swimming 50 laps in an hour, then a stall again. Months...Really? 50 laps in an hour was not enough? Spent a week being depressed. Which was boring, depressing, and made me feel like I was slipping back into old ways. YUK! I couldn't run from all that gloom fast enough. That was a HUGE change. Slipping back into old habits was no longer an option.

Then I joined a different gym. Changed up what I was doing and got the weight loss going again. This is my life. It is what it is. If I want to be smaller, I have to move more and eat right. How many times in my life have I heard that!

Turns out, it's true. The part they don't tell you because it is about the mind and not the body is this...

Continue to take the time to notice your changes. All of them. Not just what is in the mirror or on the scale. Continually noticing all kinds of changes keeps you aware of your forward progress even when you are stalled and depressed or looking for something to eat. That forward progress you notice can be so motivating if you allow it. You have to stop to notice. Think about the great changes you've made before you take that extra bite...

That is the lesson I have been learning on my journey. I hope maybe some of these words ring true for you.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smolik
    Last Activity
    01-05-2016 03:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 358 Times

Quote Originally Posted by SethP View Post
    The first year is considered to be the HONEYMOON period of this surgery. After a year your body has adjusted to the New stomach. You can still lose weight but it becomes a lot slower. You need to take the bull by the horns and start to do different sorts of exercise to keep your body guessing. I just made a year also and feel like I could do more to drop some weight. The sleeve is still there and so is the restrictions so it is up to me to get my body in motion to make it burn more. You could always go back to basics and do a FIVE DAY POUCH test. I have read of some doing this to get them back on track. I know that I need to get my butt in gear and that is the hardest part for me. Godspeed on your journey.

What do you mean do a five day pouch test? I have never heard of that? Please fill me in...I have been on a stall since Nov/Dec. Frustrated to say the least & seriously thinking about doing the pre-op diet just to get a jump start back into it again. My surgery was last August.

Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gorospe
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 09:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

I'm almost 3 years post op. Most weight lost in first year. As bad as I hate to admit it, I even gained some weight since November and have been working past couple of months and it has been hard. I think one of the things I really struggled with is the first year we eat small portions and can eat every few hours. But as the swelling and everything goes down and gets to our new normal we can eat more at a time. I struggled with thinking if I wasn't full then that meant I was hungry which isn't the case. It is what I would consider head hunger. I've really been working on that. Good luck to u.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member awholenewme77's Avatar
    Name
    D
    Surgery date
    12/30/2013
    Surgeon
    John Marsden
    Last Activity
    05-06-2015 03:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 77 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 66 Times
    Blog Entries

your body may be telling u this is your normal weight??? how tall r u?

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member lovin' the new me1's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Gonzales
    Last Activity
    12-18-2014 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 5'3 and 169 lbs. My goal is 150 but I've been struggling to get the last lbs off