Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    07-02-2016 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

Default What Am I Doing???????

The last 8 days have been such an emotional roller coaster!! Saw my potential surgeon last Friday and decided on a sleeve (huge excitement!) Booked op provisionally for 17th July (huger excitement!!) Then had hassle finding funds (huge stress), have found a solution to funds problem (huge excitement again!) then today went out for lunch and it suddenly dawned on me the enormity of what I'm going to do to myself! Going out for lunch will be a completely different experience once I've had my sleeve, no glass of wine, no 2 courses, no bread, ........................(huge panic and thoughts of "What am I doing???") In my heart of hearts, I KNOW this is the right thing to do but I also know I've got to get my mindset right so I can "cross over to the sleeve side" with all guns blazing! HELP!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member dietingdonna's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    04/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-21-2016 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Am I Doing???????

Now mind you I am only a week out of surgery but...You WILL get to go out to lunch, you WILL get to enjoy all your favorite foods again ...bread maybe one tiny bite and YOU WILL have to be happy with that. The big thing for me is I can eat all these foods just 3-6 bites but I will be FULL-diets never worked because my tummy was empty and I was starving to death and why cant I eat a whole pizza or eat a half gallon of ice cream because alot of people do that. Even on the liquid diet there is something for you to have at a restaurant so dont worry!

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

Thanks Donna - it's great to hear from someone so newly sleeved and sounding so positive! How are you doing since your surgery?

Gastric Sleeve Member dietingdonna's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    04/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-21-2016 11:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times
    Blog Entries

I am doing great! I walk several times a day and still fight to get in my liquids and protein but I do better each and every day. Tummy is sore-like I did too many sit ups or something. The only pain is when I sip too much or take sips too close together...INSTANT HEART ATTACK FEELING but after a few seconds it passes and I watch the clock between sips to aviod that I have never had heartburn in my life and now seem to have it daily but this too shall pass. I am a week out from surgery and know I have lost weight...down a bra size and in pants and a shirt I literally could not get on 3 weeks ago but I refuse to weigh for another week...I want a big number!!!

Getting into the proper mindset is key for you right now. YOU are worth it, YOU deserve to be healthy and happy, YOU have a problem with food and so do we thats why we are all here.

After 32 years of smoking I quit for this surgery - I had too I didnt want to I liked it I enjoyed it and SHOCK it was easier than quitting my Dr Pepper habit! after a week you dont miss any of it. Then I started changing my eating and reading labels-holy crap at the sugar content in EVERYTHING ! That was a real eye opener for me, then to the pre op diet. I only had to do 3 days but did 9 just for because. I did have/plan a week long food funeral-I was a crazy woman! I NEEDED this restaurant and that one too, and these 5 desserts and this that a friend makes...ok long story short, day 1 was my Italian food funeral and I BEYOND gorged, I ate tons more than any person ever should and felt miserable...and guilty as hell!!! I layed in bed that night suffering and feeling bad about what I had done and how stupid I was and it clicked...I will get to eat all of this again soon! I CAN be happy with 3-4 bites because I will be full. So needless to say the rest of the food funeral was fairly mild. Thats when I knew my mind and heart were truly ready for what I planned to do. Nothing can stand in my way now! Its a rollercoaster of a ride to get ready but once you do and your mind is at ease you start searching for they ways to MAKE you successful! Good lock to you my friend!

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

WOW!! Donna, you're an inspiration!! Serious congratulations to you I've yo-yo dieted all my adult life and (at the grand old age of 46 and with a BMI of 47) I honestly feel as if I've done it enough now and that I need a better solution and hopefully, I've found it! I realise that it's not a 'miracle cure' and that it'll be hard work but after hearing someone on YouTube describe having a sleeve as like "bowling with the sides up", I'm sure that this is what I have to do (I don't mind 'dieting' if I'm going to get results) I think I'll feel better once I've got a definite date and have spoken to the bariatric nurse about pre/post op diet etc. Reading your posts has definitely helped too, so a huge thankyou from me and keep up the good work - you're doing brilliantly x

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Parrish
    Last Activity
    06-01-2015 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 97 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Tis is a BIG decision that should not be made in haste. I am almost 3 months post op and have no regrets. It is a life changing event, but you learn how to live and eat differently. I tried everything before this, and know I made the right choice. You have until July to make up your mind.

Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Pierce
    Last Activity
    05-11-2020 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on nearing your sleeve date! I am 6 weeks out and I am still learning to hold a conversation while eating out. I won't kid you, it is a challenge to hone that craft. You take in a lot of air eating, talking and laughing. This surgery is a lifestyle change and you must have your head in the game to make it work. Good luck with your decision.
    Height: 6'0"
    Shape: Apple (No Hips)
    Information Session: August 14, 2013

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

Thankyou Metread I've read and watched so many things by people who've had the sleeve done and not one person has said they wished they hadn't done it (which makes me hopeful.) Your weight loss so far is AMAZING and is (like Donna) an inspiration to me - thankyou x

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

Thankyou Bladefox and congratulations on your great weight loss I'm impressed that, after only 6 weeks, you're managing to eat out! This forum is definitely helping me to get my head in the game x

Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ehab Akkary
    Last Activity
    10-08-2015 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 319 Times

Hi & welcome. I'm 8 wks out as of Monday. I can eat out but always must have a to go box. (My dogs are getting chubby from my excess food but they love it). You will have all those things but as was said earlier in small portions. I've found if my stomach is satisfied (which takes only a few bites) my head is fine. It is a huge change. Its not an easy thing; for people who think his is the easy way out- they're really misinformed. Now having said that- it was great visiting my surgeon yesterday for my 8 wk follow up. He said that in the last 10 weeks I have lost 60 lbs. My clothes are fitting differently and I move better. I have a long way to go but its working. You've already jumped through hoops. Make sure you're serious about the changes & that you truly want better health. You can conquer! All best to you!

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times

Many thanks Divaprof and many congratulations on your amazing weight loss - it's brilliant!! P.S. Loving the dogs - are they Havanese?? (I have 2 Havanese who I'll be walking far more often after my surgery!!) x

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Deborah
    Surgery date
    02/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    11-11-2019 01:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,264 Times
    Blog Entries

You need to decide what's important to you...lunch and bread or the rest of your life as a healthier individual? Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member sheilaFNP's Avatar
    Name
    Sheila
    Surgery date
    04/26/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-11-2014 01:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I have to echo everyone else's comments. This is the right choice for you. Don't doubt yourself and let the anxiety decide for you. I am 8 days post op. I have lost 11lbs. Just starting my journey and basically still on liquids and soft mechanical foods. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. Good luck and stay in touch!

Gastric Sleeve Member Graciegurl's Avatar
    Name
    Gracie
    Surgery date
    04/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Emma J. Patterson
    Last Activity
    02-01-2015 10:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times
    Blog Entries

What are you doing???? You are putting yourself first! I started my journey last Nov. and was sleeved this past Monday! I am doing awesome and you will too!!!!!

Surgery date
    01/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gluck
    Last Activity
    11-28-2015 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 202 Times
    Blog Entries

I am almost 4 months out and my life is different, but we all learn to adapt. Example I had a meeting in Chicago that lasted until 6 PM and I had a 5 hour drive home. Needed to stop and , decided to try Steak and Shake. Old me would order triple burger, french fries, and chocolate malted. New me ordered single burger and salt and vinegar fries. Extra onions, pickles, ketchup, and mustard. Ate 2/3 of my burger and about 6 fries and quess what? It tasted just as good as what the old me would have ordered, quess what (some of you who think we are on a life long diet will be horrified) I continue to lose 4 to 5 pounds per week. Trust me you can learn to get pleasure out of a sleeve, continue to lose, and eat foods that you like, just smaller portions.