Surgeon
    Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 06:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Angry Just not impressed

I hate to burst the sleever bubble, but I am just not impressed with my sleeve. I am two weeks post op. I have hit an all time low. I feel that I was not informed properly by the surgeon or the nutritionist. I am in the pureed stage of my diet and have reached a stall already. If I was going to gain weight once I started eating again I should have been told. I am following the high protein diet to the letter. I feel no restriction. I am really upset. I am a registered nurse with a Masters and almost at the end of my NP. I researched this well. I am well aware of the lifestyle changes and behavior modifications that was needed to succeed. The fact that I have made the changes and not getting good results is really upsetting. Not to mention that you will never get to eat tasty food again is just mind blowing. I feel that as a health care provider I am already showing signs of a failed procedure. And please no lectures, that will only insult my health care knowledge and intelligence.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jeanie
    Surgery date
    04/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Touliatos
    Last Activity
    01-26-2015 07:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Default Re: Just not impressed

Girl, it will get better I promise! We all stall about 2-3 weeks after. As for not eating tasty food, where did you get that info? I am eating very tasty food,just always protein first! Read the thread about what are you eating and it think it will surprise you about what is possible to eat. Good luck on your journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Nicholson
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 132 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,927 Times

I'm sorry you feel this way. I don't really understand how your surgeon or nutritionist could have not informed you. That is perplexing to me. I really don't even know how to respond, except to say hopefully you will feel differently in the future.

Good luck.

Name
    Deb
    Surgery date
    03/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    10-29-2020 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

If you feel that responses you get on here will insult your intelligence, I don't understand why you even bothered posting. But I will reiterate this, and hopefully it won't bother your sensitive intellect too much...
    EVERYONE STALLS AT 2-3 WEEKS OUT.
    Turning my sarcasm down, I do wish you the best of luck in finding a happier path and a brighter attitude.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. (Not Gandhi's exact words, but close enough)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Wrightone111's Avatar
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    01/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marc Bessler
    Last Activity
    08-15-2015 04:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry that you're feeling this way and not quite sure what your expectations were going into the surgery but you did just go through a major procedure and your body is in the healing phase and trying to figure out what the heck is going on. With that said, just about everyone that has been on this forum has experienced a stall at 2-3 weeks postop, again bcuz your body needs time to readjust itself from the surgery and the initial weight loss.

In the puréed stage your food is still smooth enough where it is probably going down easy and with little to no restriction. You probably won't begin to really feel that until you're eating solid foods again.

And not sure where you got the impression that you'll never eat tasty food again. I eat most everything I ate before surgery, protein first of course and just not nearly as much as I used to. As Jeanie suggested you should explore the boards a little more especially the one about what people are eating day to day and you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the tasty food people are eating.

Good luck on your journey!!! You'll be just fine.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

No lecture here. You are only ten days out and it takes time for youd body to settle down and for you to learn how you will react to the sleeve. It really takes a good six weeks to get past the depression, anger, irritability that often comes along with being sleeved. You are not necessarily saying goodbye forever to food, just I am eating less of you now. I still have things I love, I just make sure to log everything that goes in my mouth. I cook more now than prior to surgery and it tastes amazing. As far as your stall, you are right about yhe time most people hit their first one. Your body needs time to adjust to the surgery as well as the rapid weight loss. I hope you eventually find happiness with your sleeve.
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

11. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You may have your masters, but really, did you research this? If you did you would know that stalls are very common in the beginning, many times people even gain weight immediately following the procedure. Or that you won't feel restriction until you start eating solid food, like chicken, which you won't be eating at 2 weeks out. Or that following the sleeve (at 6 weeks for me) you will be able to any tasty food you want whenever you want, just in small amounts!

Just keep doing what you are doing, which sounds perfect. But change your attitude. (Unless you don't want to lose tons of weight, and look and feel fantastic.) Be happy, you are on your way to something wonderful.

13. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

10 days out and calling it unimpressive for a surgery that's supposed to maximise your weight loss up to the 2 year point? Totally agree with dyberrah - talk to someone who's on your level of intelligence instead of posting here. If it doesn't insult your intelligence, I have one tip - be patient and keep fighting the good fight. If that insults you, that's just too bad because it's good advice.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

Your kidding right. If you had researched this you would understand it is a life change not measured in 10 days or 10 months. And I don't have any school degrees and know that.

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 12:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great that you're on this forum. I encourage you to do more research. It's really early, and seems you are not managing your expectations very well. It didn't take you 2 weeks to gain all of your weight, so don't expect it to be gone in 2 weeks. Hang in there and focus on being healthy rather than focusing on the scale. Good luck!

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

Hmmm. I guess someone should inform Tom Colicchio that his restaurants don't serve tasty food because that skewered quail I had at one of them could have fooled me.

As for your intelligence? Yeah, well, your post said it all.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member meme_mayham's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Marco Sarinana
    Last Activity
    08-26-2017 04:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Keep researching, ur best classroom is real life events and real life stories from real people. Don't be scared that we will teach u something be happy there are so many people. Paving the way for us, I'm yet to be sleeved. They have a masters in a real life event, they had it first, so ask your questions and listen to what they have to say, it's insulting that you feel the need to announce your title and that you are above and beyond help from this wonderful Page. It will all work out. You have the potential to make life friends on this Site, embrace it

Gastric Sleeve Member Mommaslosingit's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-19-2015 03:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

All the degrees and research will never truly prepare you for what will happen in your mental and emotional world. I think that is what is happening to you now! Everything you have ever done and known that made you overweight is being challenged, because you physically can't eat those things or that way!

It sucks and it is hard, and when the scale does not move it feels like a slap in the face! I understand! Stop listening to the lies that are in your head that are telling you this is not working, will not work and you will never eat anything yummy again! That is your old habits and old ways wanting to come back! They don't want to see you have victory over this area of your life! If these lies and doubts can convince you to give up...they win!

Get up each morning, put one foot in front of the other and keep doing exactly what you are supposed to do! It will get better!

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mochachina View Post
    I hate to burst the sleever bubble, but I am just not impressed with my sleeve. I am two weeks post op. I have hit an all time low. I feel that I was not informed properly by the surgeon or the nutritionist. I am in the pureed stage of my diet and have reached a stall already. If I was going to gain weight once I started eating again I should have been told. I am following the high protein diet to the letter. I feel no restriction. I am really upset. I am a registered nurse with a Masters and almost at the end of my NP. I researched this well. I am well aware of the lifestyle changes and behavior modifications that was needed to succeed. The fact that I have made the changes and not getting good results is really upsetting. Not to mention that you will never get to eat tasty food again is just mind blowing. I feel that as a health care provider I am already showing signs of a failed procedure. And please no lectures, that will only insult my health care knowledge and intelligence.
    Um what? 10 days out and already it's failing? Hmmm - well I have three degrees but i did my research and knew what to expect. So by "no restriction" that means that you can easily gobble down a cheeseburger and french fries and a shake? Or a whole pizza? You can really pig out like you did to get you to the poing of needing the surgery? I find that incredibly difficult to believe. I can eat more now than I did a year ago but I still only eat a small bowl of soup (yep I like soup) vs a full large casserole bowl as I used to. I can now eat a full breakfast sandwich where 6 months ago I was barely able to eat half of one. But I am still eating fairly healthy and alot less than I did before the surgery. Your body is starving right now, it's going to hold in every single fat cell that it can (or whatever you call it sorry my degrees are in business and finance not medical ) It's really no different than when you are on a diet. Your body knows you are starving it and it says hey wait a second i\I like these fat cells. It will work eventually. EVERYONE hits a stall - I did at 3 or 4 weeks out too. I started out at a tight size 18 and 172 pounds on June 28th 2012, by September I was in my 8's and 6's and by November I was in 1's. I had to force myself to eat higher fat and carbs to gain weight once I hit 98 pounds which was way too thin. I got back up to 108 by February of 2013 and today I go back and forth from 108 - 112. For a year now - I wouldn't call that an unimpressive outcome. And I am not alone in this success either. I am also 55 flipping years old so my metabolism; um quite frankly; sucked. Oh and did I mention that I NEVER got out and walked and NEVER worked out and NEVER exercised either? Nope, not one bit. I sat on my fat ass and watched it get skinny. I did finally join a gym in April of 2013 but I work behind my desk every day so I literally never leave the house most days since i run my own business.
    You say you have "health care intelligence"? That might be but you don't have self awareness or a good handle on a sense of reality; sorry to burst YOUR bubble! You have lost 14 pounds in 10 days. Have you ever lost that on your own? Doubtful.

And OMG who the hell told you that you can never eat tasty foods again? That's bullsh** sorry but it is. I eat yummy foods, full of flavor and I pretty much eat whatever I want now. Chili, turkey, (yep potato chips too in moderation) french fries too, cakes, cookies, whatever the hell I want. Steaks, seafood, etc and the list would go on and on. I realize at 20 months out that I am eating way more choices than most people here but still, I EAT! Check out this site for some awesome "cupcake" portion sizes. Emily Bites » Lightened Up Comfort Food - she is a weight watchers advocate but her recipes are the best. Sparkpeople.com too. When I was in the mushy stage I ate the holy heck out of fat free refried beans topped with low fat cheese and salsa. I couldn't get enough of it. It was great tasting too. Usually for a snack now I eat a yogurt in the evening or jello or maybe some cheese cubes and watermelon, banana, and or grapes. And I also keep shrimp cocktail rings in my freezer at all times, 6 at nite will be enough for me.

Even when I did stall and the scale didn't move my jeans got looser, kind of like my body had to finally catch up to the pounds lost.

It's 10 days for god's sake - if you don't lose by 6 months THEN you can call it a disappointment - but you won't have to because by 6 months out you WILL be happy that you did this. Trust me I wanted to really and truly die in the first 2 months of this journey. And I was dead serious when I told my best friend that if I had to live with the heartburn and gas for the rest of my life I would rather be dead.