Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    02-23-2014 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Should I or shouldn't I

I'm contemplating the gastric sleeve. I've had two people I know who have had the sleeve. Both are successes. I'll have to ask more questions though, because one of my friends had a blockage and she's so careful about eating. I'm not sure if that is normal. Both blockages passed or dissolved. I guess I"m focussing on the negative instead of the positive. However, I need to do something.

I'm so happy I found this site.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    04/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Naik
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,048 Times

Default Re: Should I or shouldn't I

You will love it here! Welcome.
    Some of us are really lucky and some not too much (small amount ), but I'm pretty sure the surgeon will take care of any problems on his side and we could work on any discomforts etc on our side AND with our friends here on Gastric Sleeve.

4/21/14 day of surgery 231.5 lbs
    4/22/14 day after surgery 235.5 lbs

****1st goal 199 lbs **** 10/20/14

****2nd goal 175 lbs

****final goal 150 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member denahall0218's Avatar
    Name
    Dena Kay Hall
    Surgery date
    01/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacquline Osuna
    Last Activity
    08-15-2014 02:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

what kind of blockage... How did they resolve.

Did they take their anti-acid.

Just asking sleeved by Dr. Osuna at MiDoctors, 1/31/2014 . The only problem I had was I forgot to get anti-acid pill and boy got heart burn city, nausea.
    Down on couch, whoa, resolved took anti-acid pill now every am and in the pm and no heartburn at all ever, they are my best friend.

Doing good, and losing and getting very healthy.
    Energy level good and eating slowly, and drinking and doing wonderful.

So glad I did this. Great life now food doesn't rule me. I have to eat healthy and it is great.

fourth week eating protein, a little veggies/green beans, and just about 4 tablespoons I am full.

drinking watered down grape juice to get water in.... and shakes for snack mix Premium shakes, they have 30 grams of protein with banana and flavored yogurt, yoplai cheesecake and put in blender, great makes enough for about 2 days. great snack . eating all sugar free puddings, jello, and low sugar oatmeal.... scrambled eggs, refried beans, , chicken in water 3 oz can, /greenbeans, sugar free pudding, or yogurt, then snack /shake,/then sipping waterered down juices and iced tea with artifial sugar. doing great.

Gastric Sleeve Member toutdesuite's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    05-22-2015 06:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I got cold feet twice. For me the deciding factor was, what will happen if I don't have the surgery. I'm borderline diabetic and diabetes runs on both sides of my family. I'm nearly 54 years old and I weigh over 300 lbs. It's a miracle and I thank God that I don't already have diabetes! I have controlled high blood pressure (take diovan for it), back pain, knee pain, heel spurs... I was having trouble walking. I had to tell myself, take just one more step when I went grocery shopping (I did my other shopping online). I've lost 25 lbs since beginning this process (I haven't yet been sleeved -- my surgery date is 3/3) and I am now able to walk a little without pain. I have one kidney -- high blood pressure and diabetes can destroy the kidneys. My friend asked me, in a year or two from now will you be sorry you didn't have the surgery? It was a rhetorical question, but I believe my answer would be yes.

Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

I looked into bypass 12-14 years ago and was talked out of it. After a series of medical challenges, I looked into weight loss surgery and after extensive research I selected the sleeve procedure with the understanding that if I did not lose enough weight, I would have go ahead with gastric bypass. I am tying to do everything in my power to avoid a second surgery. For me, having the sleeve surgery has already been a game changer. I have already had tremendous success and most importantly as a result of my smaller size, I was able to detect two lumps under my left arm/pectoral region. I go in on Monday for an ultrasound. I am certainly glad I made the decision on having sleeve surgery. Good luck on your decision.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Catherine
    Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr James Halstead
    Last Activity
    07-28-2014 04:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I was really nervous about having the op and kept thinking "why can't I just do a diet?!", "what if I regret it?". I'm 2 weeks post-op on Monday so it's early days for me. I'd been thinking about surgery for years before finally taking the plunge. Yeh, immediately after the operation I did wonder if I'd done the right thing - I had a huge sense of "it's too late to change your mind now!" - and at times find myself half-expecting to waken up from a dream and start to put weight on again. But, throughout all of it, the negative feelings have been no more than niggles, whereas the positives have been huge. I decided on a sleeve as opposed to a by pass in the end because I want to be in control of what I eat, I just want to eat less of it. I'm not yet on normal foods but I want to have the freedom to choose to say 'no' to foods rather than being forced into not having some things because of the risk of side effects. So far, I don't regret my decision. I've lost 19lbs since starting the pre-op diet 4 weeks ago and that is more than I've ever lost on any diet. Good luck with your decision making!! xx

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

Hi MIssy:

You are one day ahead of me. It is interesting how similar i was in my thought process - I also am frustrated that I had to go to this means to lose the weight. And, scared that I won't succeed - even though this drastic surgery is supposed to help.

However, I have personally been on just about every diet (WW 3x, TOPS 3x, Dr. Weight loss Clinic x2, Optifast 1x (really made me sick), Slimfast, etc.,etc.) and know that I did my best. The last one was the 6 week body make over and I learned a lot from this program and am still going to try and follow the base plan once I am healed enough. I haven't failed - just haven't been able to keep it off.

My Dr. said at my pre-op check up Friday that I was doing very well. I lost 14# since surgery and #45 total since January.

He moved me to the soft diet - yes!!! I can eat real food again - though soft. I stopped on the way home from the appointment and my hubby bought me a Pinto Beans & Cheese bowl from Taco Bell. (It is about a cup total). It tasted so very good - but I was really surprised that I couldn't eat much more than a few bites before I felt full. Hubby finished it. At home I have taken a can of fat free re-fried beans split into 4 mini bowls with about 1 tbs of cheese. I had one for a meal but added 1 tbsp greek yogurt on it. Calories are 118 and protein is about 7gm. plus 1 oz low fat cheese calories 48, protein 7 grm and 1 tbsp low fat yogurt 20 calories -2 mg protein which = 186 calories and 16 grams of protein. I just checked on the Taco Bell site and for their version it is 190 calories and 11 grams of protein - so I guess if we are eating out this is a good alternative.

Anyhow - let me know how you are doing.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Gastric Sleeve Member swarizonaone's Avatar
    Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    05-29-2014 12:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't contemplate. DO IT> I had the band first, nothing but problems. In Dec 2012, I got the sleeve. I went from 256 to 140. took a year. feel great. I have let myself creep back up to 170 because I started drinking regular pop,. but since I quit pop last week, I'm back to 165 and will get back to goal weight. the hardest part was the first three weeks. And if you do it and have questions, email me directly and ask. I'll answer any any any questions. My email is: fun2bkristine@aol.com
    I just don't get on here that much.

I had two friends who also got sleeve, and they are successful too.

do it! you won't be sad.

Kristine

Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

look through my pictures. you can see the change in me.

Name
    Kris
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Alan Saber
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

glad you decided to do it. You will be rid of all of this stuff when you hit goal weight. I no longer take meds for anything, and my feet don't hurt, or my back, I had heel spurs too. blood pressure stuff. all gone now