Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Smith
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 117 Times

Default End of fourth post-op day....so far, so good

I went in for surgery on Tuesday morning but was delayed ("held" in pre-op area) due to "equipment failure" in another operating suite for the patient ahead of me. Obviously, this did not help calm my nerves. Four hours later, it was finally my turn (I was assured I was scheduled for the "full bariatric suite" where there would be no possibility of equip. problems). Once things got rolling and I saw the anesthesiologist, OR RN, my surgeon, etc., I got in pretty quickly. A little "teary" due to nerves but was soooo ready to get going. Laughed and joked with the docs who were setting up and, last thing I recall, I was looking at the lights above me and trying to tell the team "goodnight." I woke up in recovery and, lo and behold, no nausea, vomiting, or pain! (I'd mentioned it several times that I was worried I'd experience severe nausea/vomiting so they gave me a patch--it must have worked!). Once I was in my room, my designated nurse was wonderful. I didn't drink until Wednesday night, after having the "leak test." No problems there so I was cleared for "clear liquids." (I do so despise that nasty barium stuff! Yuck! The good thing is since my stomach is now so small I didn't have to drink much of it!) Woohoo! I was so concerned with trying to get my fluids in that I overfilled my new stomach and out it came as foamy water like liquid. No vomiting, just spitting up foamy clear liquid. I was told to go slower and not worry about fluids since I still had an IV. The next 24 hours, I had to remain in the hospital to make sure I wasn't going to get into a negative liquid state but, once I slowed down, all was well. I was soon able to pee so out came the catheter, I was able to walk and actually seemed to enjoy it for some crazy reason! I finally was discharged after 2 1/2 days in the hospital and have been home for two nights now (counting tonight). I have surprised myself in being able to administer the Lovenox shots (blood thinner to prevent clotting/embolism) and am quite pleased to be able to get and keep down protein shakes and vitamin water. (I like the Premier protein shake in vanilla and a variety of the GNC flavored vitamin waters). I take my Flintstone's complete multivitamin (chewable) and that's about it for now. I do take the pain meds (hydrocodone) as needed, once or twice a day.

I have one "hole" on the right that is a little large and, frankly, rather gross-looking, where the drain was. I think it's healing but it is a bit sore and has some minor redness which I was told was normal for now. I am afraid to look in my belly button for some reason. I don't deal very well with "gross" body fluids, etc. so tend to do just what I need to to take care of myself but I don't spend any time looking at it, otherwise. I have staples on the other incision sites which I am eager to have removed at my 2 week check up. Have to go for blood work tomorrow just to make sure all is well.

All in all, I'm pleased so far and think I'll be quite happy and grateful to have had this done. Anxious to "get a life" now that involves being active with my family!

For anyone at this juncture wondering what the initial days are like immediately following this procedure, all I have to say for now is "I wish I'd followed through ten years ago when I first considered it.....I'd love to have those 10 years back---only in a healthy body!"

Cheers,
    phd

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member southernchick's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-05-2016 12:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,428 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: End of fourth post-op day....so far, so good

It's good to hear from you. I'm glad as well and you're doing fine. Please keep posting as you get slimmer and slimmer. ...

Gastric Sleeve Member toutdesuite's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    05-22-2015 06:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, phd! It helps to know what I'm going into beginning 3/3/14. How long do you have to administer the lovenox shots?

Gastric Sleeve Member denise.jordan39's Avatar
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Gary Grinberg
    Last Activity
    11-02-2015 10:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah, good to hear other people's experience. They haven't told us anything about shots. Just the leak test. They told me just one day in hospital. Guess we'll see. Good luck! I'm 12 days and counting!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member denahall0218's Avatar
    Name
    Dena Kay Hall
    Surgery date
    01/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jacquline Osuna
    Last Activity
    08-15-2014 02:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Good for you, so glad you wrote, I saw you were sleeved on my birthday.

Good to know your didn't have any pain.

Did they do a wrap around your incisions?

Are you taking a anti-acid pill twice daily to prevent heart-burn?

So glad your good and getting stronger, and yes, I wish I had done this sooner as well but it is done now and we aren't a slave to food anymore.
    Thanks goodness. and we will be getting healthier.

DenaHall

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fitzer
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 06:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Glad it is all going well! You'll love it when you can start fitting into smaller clothes...closer than you think

Surgeon
    Smith
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Just the first seven days post op, twice a day.

Surgeon
    Smith
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

THanks! That's exactly what I'm looking forward to right now, along with more energy and being able to "move!" Love the pic of your darling little angel.