Surgeon
    Dr. Kadowaki
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 07:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

Default Almost 2 years out and disappointed in myself

I will be two years out from surgery at the end of this month. A year ago I was at my lowest weight having lost a total of 77 lbs. Now I've gained back about 15-20 of those lbs. It started with a SI joint injury in Dec. 2012 that left me unable to exercise for months. I think during that time I started getting depressed and slipped into some bad eating habits. After that it just continued downhill. I now work from home, rarely get out of the house, and while I don't eat much, I'm probably drinking too many calories.

I'm so ready to make the changes to get back on track but I just can't get motivated. I pulled up the 5 day pouch test and might start it next week. I also need to force myself back to the gym again. I've not posted here in forever but figured I really need the support of the great people here.

Any advice out there from others who have been through something similar? Thanks.
    Sherri

MyFitnessPal - sherrih75
    Sleeved4Life - my blog

Weighed 221 lbs week before surgery!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Default Re: Almost 2 years out and disappointed in myself

Hi Sherri,

Welcome to the group. This is a great community of people. I'm only almost 6 months out so I can't speak like a veteran but I know a bit about some of your circumstances.

Motivation is up to you. You know what you did to get to where you were at, but it can be hard, especially in the middle of winter. Perhaps talk to your doctor about a mild anti-depressant for the rest of the winter to get yourself kick started. It took me a quite a few months to get to the point where I really wanted to exercise, but when I finally did I find that I love it, and I love what it's doing to my body.

I'm wondering about what you're drinking, not in the calorie factor because I personally NEVER count calories, but because fluids slink through our sleeves really easily and it could be you're getting too much of a good thing. Can you go with flavored water instead? Clear liquids are almost always better than not. I will say that I drink coffee with creamer every morning without a stitch of guilt. More than calories, are you getting enough protein. Where I am right now almost all I eat for meals is protein and I get my carbs from my snacks, which works well for me.

The past is the past. Accept it and move on. You already know how to do this since you got to where you wanted. Keeping 60 pounds off is a great loss. If you want the last 20 you can make it. Give your body what it needs and wants, and start your exercise slowly, even if it's just walking around the house. I personally think your mood will lift if you can get out of the house too. It's the main reason I don't work at home; if I did I would probably just lock myself in my office there and not move.

Good luck to you. It's great to see that you've kept so much weight off for so long. Keep us posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Ron
    Surgery date
    07/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Tariq
    Last Activity
    06-03-2016 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I'm in the same boat as you Sherri! Surgery was a little over 2 1/2 years ago. At about a year out, the weight loss stopped and keeping motivated has always been rough. I had dropped about 80 lbs and since have gained back about 10. My weight has stayed there for nearly a year now, but the worse problems has been my blood sugars have slowly risen. I went from insulin dependent to only 1 oral med, but since then 2 oral meds had been added back in, and just last week the slow release insulin to help control the blood sugars. I also work out of home most of the time and don't get out a lot.

I try to focus on the progress made, but the lack of further progress and the reintroduction of meds has been rough and hard to keep focused. I recently picked up a used elliptical to try working on that as it's here and accessible whenever there is time. I'm pushing to get myself on there regularly and hoping I can get moving in the right direction again.

Good luck, and hoping you can find your inspiration also!

Surgery date
    01/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Benbarhim
    Last Activity
    12-31-2014 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I am two years out - I have gained 14lbs - slipping into some bad habits again; but mostly catch myself and try to get on track every day. I can eat more, but nothing like I did pre surgery. I went to my cardiologist who told me this is quite common and my body is determining where it wants to be; at the beginning of the journey he gave me the weight of 180 (from 260) that is what I am at now.

I feel great, look better at this weight than I did at my lowest ( looked gaunt) You know what to do - and what makes you feel good so live you life.

Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 07:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Sherri: I'm the same way...operation in oct. 2011; plastics Aug.2012 w lowest weight 144lbs. - now I'm 30 lbs. more. I am trying not to be lured back into over-focusing on eating/exercise as the culprits as this gets me back into the dieting mode and letting dieting thoughts overtake my mind.

I have been well aware of how I justify overeating and some of the reasons are things I need to change. Overstressing myself with too much work, not enough 'play', taking on too many projects, overinvolved with my kids' lives, and NOT ENOUGH SLEEP. I got overweight because I ate too much - I ate too much because I let my life become chaotic and justified eating too much to sooth myself. Merely focusing on my exercise and eating habits, while helpful, can just add more stress if I don't take care of the things that set me up for that behavior. I'm starting cognitive behavioural therapy with Judith Beck (not directly but using her book and workbook). Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) are proven methods for changing thoughts and behaviour.

That's my situation. I'm a therapist on an inpatient psychiatry unit, by the way, so I "know better" and now it's time to 'put my money where my mouth is" so to speak. The first thing is that one selects a food plan to follow then works through the workbook on changing their thinking. I get stuck on choosing a food plan...so many variables...so I never get down to choosing the food plan.

I waffle between going back to shakes, not dieting, writing things out, joining weight watchers to be accountable (although I have never kept with that more that 4 weeks), scarsdale plan, food exchanges..."F-ck"....I can really drive myself crazy. I'm thinking that choosing one food plan and making myself stick to it regardless for two weeks at a time could work...then if I consider doing something different, I can change after 2 weeks.

Any insight or advice out there is appreciated...DR. Phil "life isn't cured-it's managed"

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sharon
    Surgery date
    01/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Abraham Botha
    Last Activity
    11-11-2021 11:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I too am just over two years out and have found my appetite has really increased. I'm thinking about food a lot more than I used to and snacking an awful lot more than I want to. I have only gained a couple of pounds so far and do such a lot of exercise now but I don't want a few lbs to turn into a stone or two! I need to take control of my eating as I think it's starting to control me again.

Gastric Sleeve Member SeasonsChange's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Craig Floch
    Last Activity
    12-08-2014 08:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 386 Times
    Was Thanked 164 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

I don't have any advice but I can offer some encouragement! Its so hard working from home! I have done that in the past and its so easy not to get up and moving. You already took the step to come here and post your struggles. I hope you can get headed back in the right direction. I know we are all pulling for you!

Sleeved with my husband on 11/26/13! Together through it all

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

The only thing that has worked for me now is what worked in the past when I maintained my weight loss successfully before surgery for a while. I make a whole bunch of chicken breast every week, tuna, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, sometimes I add a few triscuits and occasionally I will have something different like shrimp or fish or crab. These are foods I love and don't get tired of. I eat them day in/day out and sometimes on the weekends I will have something "off plan". It may sound boring but it works. I have maintained my weight this way without much of an issue. It's easier for me to keep the weight off eating this way after surgery than it was before surgery when I lost it "the old fashioned way" because I have a tiny stomach and it's easier to stick to it. When I gained weight in the past before weight loss surgery, I would just give up and feel hopeless. This little stomach helps a lot keeping us on track. What we have to do is choose foods that we like and are good for our bodies. What foods do you like that fit in with your new lifestyle and will help keep weight off? You can eat off plan stuff, but not every day. If you have a hard time keeping them out of your mouth--try to only buy them when you are out to dinner or something so you can't buy in bulk and bring them home. ya know? These are just things that work for me. I know we all have to find what works for us. Just try to keep an eye on it now because you don't want it to get any worse. You CAN reverse the weight gain. Concentrate on not gaining any more weight for now and try to figure out what you can do one day at a time. When you are ready, then you can worry about taking off some of the weight if you want to. Big hugs. It's not as easy when you are a couple of years out. There's more work in it now and I think we all know that now.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries

I work from home with my accounting practice and I am up and moving all day long. I do sit behind my PC most of the time but I also go visit clients once in awhile and get out to run errands mid day all the time.

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-30-2015 08:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 108 Times
    Was Thanked 90 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,055 Times

All of these posts are excellent advice! It is reassuring to hear there are others faced with this issue. I have gained 5lbs too and have come to the conclusion carbs are my enemy, I crave them and they really cause my weight to go up, however when I do not eat them I crave them more. It is a fine balance, but the sleeve definitely helps. Last night I went to a potluck and what I ate all evening was about half at just one sitting in my prior life! So I was grateful for that. I am trying to focus on not buying the bulk bags as suggested, if its there I will eat it, even if its in tiny amounts over a week instead of at one sitting I am still getting the calories in eventually, so not buying it is key for me. Work, kids, stress, it all plays a part for sure, getting skills and help to deal with this stuff is key- it was the reason I let myself get so overweight in the beginning. I want to go for plastics next and have to get to a BMI of below 28, that is my incentive right now as I am at 30- set small goals for what you would like to see for yourself. And good luck, you/we are not alone in this. Maybe we should start a group for this???

Heaviest 2006 297lbs
    Sept 2011 282lbs
    Sept 21/12 start pre-op diet 272lbs
    Sept 26/12 gastric sleeve 263lbs
    Dec 21/12 3 months 222lbs
    March 21/13 6 mon 202lbs
    June 21/13 9 mon 190lbs
    Sept 26/13 YEAR1 186lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Weiss
    Last Activity
    05-07-2016 01:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I have found myself gaining weight. My surgery was in 2011 and just this past 3 months I have gained 30lbs. My cravings have come back. I feel like I am hungry all the time. I am so sick of protein. I know I dont get enough veggies in. I found myself hooked on BBQ pork rinds. I love them. But I am wondering if those are part of my weight gain but there are no or very little carbs in them. I am craving sweets like crazy. I was a diabetic and surgery took care of that however I am now having low blood sugar I get the shakes. I need ideas of what I can do to favor my protein up with any ideas lady's. Thanks

Gastric Sleeve Member techteacher's Avatar
    Name
    Sherri
    Surgery date
    02/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kadowaki
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 07:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

Thanks everyone. I'm going to make a few changes this week and try to focus on some basics. I know I need to drink more water and get more protein in. I'm going to start my day with a protein shake and then I'm going to head to the gym after dropping the kids off at school. I feel like just doing those two things are a good start for now. I can't let this weight creep up on me anymore. I have to gain control of the situation.
    Sherri

MyFitnessPal - sherrih75
    Sleeved4Life - my blog

Weighed 221 lbs week before surgery!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Casillas
    Last Activity
    12-08-2014 03:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 58 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 261 Times

I know how you feel about the weight creeping back on. I had surgery in Dec/2011. I've maintained a 107 pound weight loss so far, but I was down even further than that a few months back. I try to exercise every day at work during lunch time. Instead of eating for lunch I take a brisk walk for an hour. I've noticed this helped me start losing slowly again but it is frustrating. The longer the years that have passed since having the surgery, the harder it is to shed the pounds. Like others, I have noticed I can eat more as the years have gone by and I just try to cut back as best I can and incorporate exercise and continue to take my vitamins every day. It's a daily struggle. But, then again, the surgeon did say the surgery wasn't a "miracle" I had to work at it. I sort of feel like an alcoholic with their slogan - "It works if you work it". *Sigh* Good luck to us all.