03/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    03-11-2014 10:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Thumbs down Waiting for a revision......feeling depressed over the failure.

I had a VSG in February of 2011 with Dr Kelly-Ramos at the Oasis of Hope Hospital. My surgery went without complication aside from a nurse not being able to maintain an IV in me. She kept the drip too fast and blew out my veins. After having it replaced a couple times I go very agitated and was voicing my concern for her abilities. Ultimately I was assigned a different nurse, told I had to have another IC whether I liked it or not and everything went fine from there. Initially I lost 18 lbs in a couple weeks and then everything was a standstill for almost two months. This worried me and I found myself wanting to eat which has always been my vice with hard times and, well good times too to be honest.

In a year and half I lost 50 pounds which required a lot of working out to accomplish. I ran my first 5K and reached an impressive level of stamina. Two years to the month of my VSG I had tragedy plow through my life and it didn't let up through the entire year. During this time I also broke by foot and sustained an injury to the same leg (during a different accident) that severed muscle tissue to the bone of my shin and left me scared and with a dent in my leg. I genetically have a barely functioning metabolism and as soon as I couldn't work out it crashed severely. My body had adjusted to my calorie intake and now that I wasn't working out heavily, the POUNDS piled on like there is not tomorrow. During this same time I had a major tragedy that left me in deep depression. desperate to be able to function through a day without falling apart, I saw my regular dr. That was a bad idea because all my doctor did was write out a prescription for anti-depressants. Out of desperation I took them and quickly realized week by week I couldn't fit into my clothes. Weight gain was a major side effect to the prescription I was given even though I voiced my concern about weight gain. In a three month time I the final 30 pounds I had ever lost.

I now weigh a couple pounds more than my pre-surgery weight and hate it. Dr Kelly Ramos now performs surgery somewhere else and charges a couple thousand more. I am looking to re-schedule for a revision surgery with Dr Almanza. Has anyone used him or scheduled to use him?

2. The following 145 users said welcome Country Girl! to GastricSleeve.com!

12NVDiva, 1happyloser2b, 1luckygamma, 5stars, 619Diva, aanderson, absherkathy, ACE, adoremi, Adriana Gonzalez, alice1, Ann2, April_2014, Aquajog, arohaina, awholenewme77, babypnut, BBLovesBB, Bella_, BodyRock, Brandon210, brandy5, Breen, brownas5, bscastaneda, Cabo_Chica150, calrner, canuckgirl, cfaraone, CountryGirl72, cricket, Dawzow, dbcassidy, Deecomp57, Denise*661, diana1965, DivinelyDeviant, donna1743, Elvita, Emily130, erinja, Fatt Kidd, finallythin, flowergirl, Gbunnz, goldengal, Granna1965, handsome3561, Harts4you, HJS, incredibleshrnkngshirly, Janeanne67, Jeani, jennak89, jessanth99, Jessluvmyself1, jrenee63, JuneBride, justwannabnormal, kacie77, Kathysangels, katiem, kcgt, kelsmurf, Khartt, Khristine, kimwanalivelife, Lalaangeleyes, leafswife, LeisaMcD, librarian95, lighter63, Lisa L, lisab215, LisaNunu, lizpuga4186, lmdee73, LOVINGCOMET71, ltlsqueak, lvonohart, Malaika, Maria42, MarianW, Mary71, MediaHound, MELR, Mem, Mich-D, michaelbuffalo, Miesha, Mimi4, MissBee, Mmcmillian, moo-d chef, MrsB0324, Muppin, N2DVN, Netekay, NewLife4Me, nisa7, NubianBenz, okla_ok51, painfreenow, Paulette21, Paulleska, peggy1, pimpe, PurplePeg, rachelaguilar09, reading mom, Roshus Girl, RRT, Salenah, Samaiya827, Saulady, savagegrace, SethP, Shanbie, shaun27565, simpleysaweet, sociologist, Speeder, ssgrock3, Stacy'sSleevedLife, StacyD, stephieinak, stylin231, suthern_dreamz, Tatiana, tbminter, TDEHERRERA, teddtlove, tenadaley, thenewmetoday, Think, TinaRuth, tn_sunshyne, Toopie2Seater, Traci, Truebody, TweedleDee, UncommonMe, Uzomah, Vande, ximmia

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Default Re: Waiting for a revision......feeling depressed over the failure.

What a terrible time you've been through. Did your sleeve stretch? Or are you having a different sort of surgery this time - I hope no matter what it helps you.

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

Wow! You certainly have been through the wringer! Best of luck on your revision and hope it is smooth sailing for you.
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Country Girl and welcome to the forum! I am sorry you are going thru so many struggles. I also wanted to ask are you being re-sleeved or are you having a sleeve to by-pass revision? I would strongly suggest you do your research and find the best surgeon for your surgical needs.
    I had my surgery with Dr. Sergio Quinones in Tijuana on January 12, 2013 and I had an amazing experience with Dr. Quinones and the hospital staff. I would and do strongly recommend Dr. Quinones to anyone who is considering weight loss surgery in Mexico. Dr. Quinones only performs 3 surgeries daily, they are performed in a private hospital. The more I did my research I came to realize that Dr. Quinones was my best option in Tijuana. Please feel free to private message me here or email (stacyeckel@gmail.com) me. I will be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns about my experience in Tijuana with Dr. Quinones. Many people don't know about Dr. Quinones because he chooses not to advertise, 90% of Dr. Quinones patients come from other patient referrals.
    Good luck,
    Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Raziel
    Last Activity
    06-19-2016 11:57 PM
    I live in Toronto Ontario and in Jerusalem Israel
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times
    Blog Entries

I am curious about revision surgery. I had my sleeve done two years ago (almost three) and have only lost 40 pounds at this point. The lowest I got to was 55/60 pounds lost. Whenever I have inquired about revision I am told to eat less carbs and more protein. Have you found someone to revise your sleeve?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

I too have put twenty nine pounds back on since my surgery.....my fault entirely. I quickly learned that I still have an eating disorder and no surgery can take that away :-(

I pray that you are able to have success with another surgery. It's not an option for me, sadly, good old less food and more movement is what I will have to do for the rest of my life. If I could go back, I would recommend to all of you to weigh and measure your food from now on. Good luck honey, you will do fine and I'm sorry you have been through so much.

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm really confused here - did you overeat a lot over time and stretched your sleeve? Because from what you said, it sounds like you weren't able to exercise, your body got used to the lower calories, and you got the weight back over time. I don't really understand how a revision would fix that, especially if you haven't been overeting and your sleeve is not stretched out. Are you going to convert to a bypass or DS surgery?

What anti-depressant were you put on? I've been on Prozac and Wellbutrin for many, many years. I don't consider either to be contributing to my past weight gain though. I developed PCOS and insulin resistance and that's when the weight piled on. Wellbutrin actually is an appetite suppressant and most lose weight on it. I do know that many psychiatric drugs can make you gain weight like crazy. I knew someone who did lithium for a while and she put on a lot of weight.

I'm sorry you're going through a hard time and I hope you will be successful with whatever you choose to do.

Gastric Sleeve Member Country Girl!'s Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will try to answer everyone's questions so far. I am scheduling to have a VSG resleeve done. All of my weight gain was due to the combination of me being injured and unable to work out which caused an abrupt metabolism crash AND and shortly after this was already taking place I was placed on Zoloft, Ativan and Trazodone. With that being said about the medications, I have never been one to take medicine and have not been on any prescriptions for anything except for a trail pack of sleeping aids prior. I hated the idea of taking the medicine and it immediately made my body feel toxic. I tried going off of it right away but extreme panic attacks with hyperventilation, confusion and crippling chest pains got me back on it. I took the combination of meds for 4 month and gained 40 lbs in that time. I gained weight so fast my skin hurt but the meds also helped me not care which isn't good. I reached a point a month ago where I decided I could not longer be on the meds and carefully tapered myself off all while looking for a new DR that isn't so into pushing prescriptions. I'm coping with my PTSD much better and now want my life back. My two injuries caused a metabolism crash, BUT the pills made me feel like I had to eat everything in site and I did therefore stretched my sleeve I am sure. I have found a Dr in Mexico (I have found multiple) that will do VSG resleeves or a conversion to another surgery. I am going for a resleeve because I was so pleased with the prior results and I don't foresee what happened my life which sent me down a path of life crippling panic attacks ever happening again (well I pray not anyways).

I am considering going to TJ Mexico but alone this time. Anyone have any input on traveling solo to Mexico? I know it's highly advised against. Thanks....

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Well, I would encourage you to bring a friend or supportive relative along with you if at all possible. If it is someone who is in your corner & will speak up if needed, it might help & isn't going to hurt. I know many do just fine by themselves, though.
    With those meds I can see why you put on so much weight. I was prescribed trazadone to help me sleep decades ago. I gained 5 pounds in a week (back when I was slim & had no tendency to gain) and all I wanted to do was eat and sleep. I stopped the med, told the doc I would have 2 problems instead of just 1 if I kept up on this med.

Surgery date
    03/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yeah I am 100% the meds put me over the edge with my weight and unfortunately my Dr is a toothpick and looks like she has never had a craving in her life. She only told me that loosing weight isn't as complicated as everyone makes it out to be and that I "simply needed to eat less calories" as she offered to increase the med doses. The uncontrollable hunger and compulsive eating (which I never dealt with even prior to my first VSG) was causing me more depression than what I was even prescribed meds for. Now that I am not on any medications and feeling fairly normal again (aside from the memories of my traumatic incident which I have learned to manage) I am stuck with all this weight and anxious to get back the body and stamina I had a year ago. Looks like I am going alone, nervous but excited all at the same time.

Anyone else out there going to the HNM Hospital with Dr Almanza the first week of this March

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry you've gone through this! With your metabolic problems, I hope the resleeve is enough. Have you considered the duodenal switch? That surgery actually allows you to eat a lot more calories and keep the weight off. Of course, it requires a lot of vitamins too. I really hope this works for you better the second time around.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Surgery date
    03/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Well I am two days post op and feeling as I expected. Each hour gets a little easier. I had my surgery at the Nova Hospital and I medical staff is AMAZING!!! The hospital itself physically appears outdated but I noticed there is a significant facelift of the inside underway. The doctors and nurses are hands down far better than any I have ever experienced in the US. Dr Ramos Kelly has been such a great dr too. He and has checked on me continuously and spent a significant amount of time making sure I am okay and also in just casual conversation. I mentioned in prior posts I would be traveling alone and I was very nervous. The day after my surgery Dr Ramos Kelly's wife apparently felt I was a tad homesick when she saw me because the next time she came to my room she brought me a long stemmed rose as a gift and told me I would be home soon. Unbelievable fantastic treatment and care with Dr Ramos Kelly and his staff.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sthomp613's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr peter billings
    Last Activity
    06-27-2014 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have seen slot of people in this web page who used that dr. Everyone seed happy with him.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

So you ended up going back to your original surgeon? Did they charge you the full amount or give you some kind of discount given that the original surgery wasn't as successful as you might expect?

Anyway, glad to hear you're feeling well and optimistic - all good thoughts your way for a continued smooth recovery!

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Country Girl! View Post
    Well I am two days post op and feeling as I expected. Each hour gets a little easier. I had my surgery at the Nova Hospital and I medical staff is AMAZING!!! The hospital itself physically appears outdated but I noticed there is a significant facelift of the inside underway. The doctors and nurses are hands down far better than any I have ever experienced in the US. Dr Ramos Kelly has been such a great dr too. He and has checked on me continuously and spent a significant amount of time making sure I am okay and also in just casual conversation. I mentioned in prior posts I would be traveling alone and I was very nervous. The day after my surgery Dr Ramos Kelly's wife apparently felt I was a tad homesick when she saw me because the next time she came to my room she brought me a long stemmed rose as a gift and told me I would be home soon. Unbelievable fantastic treatment and care with Dr Ramos Kelly and his staff.
    Glad you went back to Dr Kelly, I felt I received excellent care from him and his team! Hope all is well.