Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    02-14-2015 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Surgery tomorrow...panicing

I am so afraid of the unknown. I know i need this because everytime i get on the scales it steady creeps upwards. Today it is all clear liquids with the mg citrate this evening. My fears are loosing too much weight and looking sick (which has happened to a friend),all my hair falling out, wrinkly face after the fat shrinks, and for some reason i have in my head that i will never be able to eat again. I am slap crazy today. I am currently 208 and look so gross and gloppy with fat and in the back of my head know this is the right thing to do for my health. I am 46 and feel it. Hopefully, with some weight off i will feel better physically and mentally. Another thing i am afraid of is my dad is taking me for the surgery. My husband is going to be 7 hours away working. My dad is not a good nurse!! He told me i better not puke around him that he would throw me out of the room if i do. He is kidding of course. I really could use some encouragement today to get me thru this.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member CindyLouWho's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cindy
    Surgery date
    01/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pesta
    Last Activity
    09-23-2014 09:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

Default Re: Surgery tomorrow...panicing

I just got home from the hospital last night after being sleeved on Thursday. I have/had all those fears, too. Right now I feel great with just a little soreness and I'm excited to begin my new way of eating. Once you get back to eating regular food, you just need to make healthier choices and get used to the idea of smaller portions, but it's not like you can never eat again. I think the most important thing at first is to get your protein and fluids in. The hair loss and wrinkles scare me, too, but I just have to take it 1 day at a time.

Gastric Sleeve Member sassysleever's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-28-2018 07:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

You will do fine just think of how much better you will feel a few months from now. And I know what your saying Ive seen that happen to people that lose too much weight it makes them look older. I'm like you I hope I don't look like that. As I'm losing my hair now so if I lose much after the surgery I will have to invest in a good wig. but just relax and go with the flow. you'll be fine. smiles wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Live Laugh Love!! Because we're not promised tomorrow.

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rae12 View Post
    I am so afraid of the unknown. I know i need this because everytime i get on the scales it steady creeps upwards. Today it is all clear liquids with the mg citrate this evening. My fears are loosing too much weight and looking sick (which has happened to a friend),all my hair falling out, wrinkly face after the fat shrinks, and for some reason i have in my head that i will never be able to eat again. I am slap crazy today. I am currently 208 and look so gross and gloppy with fat and in the back of my head know this is the right thing to do for my health. I am 46 and feel it. Hopefully, with some weight off i will feel better physically and mentally. Another thing i am afraid of is my dad is taking me for the surgery. My husband is going to be 7 hours away working. My dad is not a good nurse!! He told me i better not puke around him that he would throw me out of the room if i do. He is kidding of course. I really could use some encouragement today to get me thru this.
    You will be fine. Pray about it. Only issues I had was gas pain, they gave me meds at hospital. Also I had leg pain. Between all the walking and I was taller then bed at hospital. My feet were pushed against bottom pointing my feet up toward my head. Had calf cramps. Came home and all was fine. My wife was available, but was not bad enough that I couldn't do if I had to. Was easier for her to get something if I needed. Like everyone says on here. Walk walk walk....Helps get gas bubbles out. Ice chips 1st day best friend, then little sips I was drinking to fast. Dr told me think of everything as HOT, that it would burn swallowing. Knock on wood I have followed everything Dr set up exact, and have no issues. No pain, I took one pain pill 1st night home. Think more for piece of mind. Nothing since. GOOD LUCK and Let us know how you are doing......PS Im not 2 weeks out yet and I have a lot more energy. Feels great.

Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

It is so normal to get the jitters before surgery. We always fear the worst but the reality isnt as bad as what we feared. I had no pain, no gas, and I was fortunate. Hairloss...I love wigs and trying new things:-) I cut layers in my hair this week in case it starts falling out. Turkey neck...got that now and will have a neck lift next summer:-) Best of luck!
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

My dad just called to say he couldn't take me now. Do you believe that crap? Trying to find another way now but it aint looking good!!! Wonder if new iberia has a taxi service.

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

They won't usually release you to a taxi service; they insist on someone bringing you home. Are there other family members you can enlist/bribe?

As for all your fears, they are normal. What you need to do is just sit comfortably and breathe. In through your nose and out through your mouth. Being calm and centered will help with your surgery tomorrow. In case these fears spill over until tomorrow, when the anesthesiologist asks you if you want anti anxiety meds say yes. They will help you go into the OR in a better frame of mind.

You can do this, and your health is worth it. Good luck tomorrow and make sure you let us know how you get on.

Gastric Sleeve Member teddtlove's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Wegner
    Last Activity
    05-17-2015 10:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I think you would be ok getting to the hospital with a taxi but htey would not let you go home with one. But i would strongly advise you trying to find someone to be at the hospital with you for the surgery for your own peace of mind. My family has let me down more times than I can count. I get it. I am totally here if you need to talk.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yep. Had to cancel. No other family to rely on. It sucks when you do for others but when you need help no one will help you. Sometimes life sucks. I believe in signs though. Things happen for a reason. I guess it just wasn't meant to be for tomorrow. Thanks for the support, it really means alot to me. I have learned alot from reading the posts.

Name
    Maria
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-11-2015 11:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

So sad for you that you had to cancel. When can you get on the schedule again? I wish you could find someone who could pick you up, without all the drama.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Not sure when i can be scheduled again. Bummer.