Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-30-2014 11:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Question how long from first consult to surgery?

Hi guys! I was wondering how long the process takes from first consult to actual surgery date. This question is for folks who have used insurance. My sister had it in Mexico and she had surgery in no time. Thanks so much for any info!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Default Re: how long from first consult to surgery?

It completely depends on what your insurance requires (supervised weight loss program, and for how long? Nutrition counseling classes? psychological testing? etc.) and what your surgeon requires in terms of pre-op testing (sleep apnea study? Upper GI? Chest x-rays? H. Pylori test?). I've seen everything from as short as three weeks to as long as 18 months. Mine took a year, thanks to my insurance messing up and telling me to do the wrong things and then me having to start over, then wait until summer when I could have the surgery when school wasn't in session.

Gastric Sleeve Member WayLessInNH's Avatar
    Name
    Terri
    Surgery date
    08/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gould
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

There are many factors that play into the answer to this question.

1st is your insurance. Many insurance companies require doctor supervised visits. typically 3-6 consecutive months. A few don't require any. You will need to contact your insurance and fin out exactly what they require of you in order to proceed.

2nd is your bariatric team (surgeon). Many will require certain tests, psychological evaluation, nutritionist appointments, EKG, some weight loss (to shrink the liver), etc....

3rd is you. How long will it take you to fulfill all of the requirements of the previous two?

From my experience, I started this journey Nov of 2012 when I inquired about weightloss surgery with my PCP. She referred me to my bariatric team. My initial info meeting with them was Dec. of 2012. I started my 6 month supervised visits with my pcp in January of 2013. By the end of June I had completed all of the required hoops to jump through. It took a few weeks for my insurance to send my approval. Then my surgery was booked a few weeks out. I was sleeved on August 26th of 2013. All in all it took about 9 months but the time flew by.

During the nine months I did a lot of research. I wanted as much info as I could find. This website was a great help and source of some really great info. I started a journal and I would recommend it to anyone starting this process. I've kept everything in it. The sections that I have in it (3 ring binder) are....NSV's (non-scale victories), monthly photos, notes from meetings, Sleeve info, Dietary, My Surgeon, Psych, PCP, Step Program, Measurements, Hospital and lastly my insurance info.

I am great-full for the 9 months. It took me that long to train my brain so I could be a success at being sleeved. I started to watch what I ate and started to exercise early on. I was able to lose 23 lbs prior to my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. During my pre-op liquid diet I lost and additional 15 lbs. This gave me a huge head start.

I am now down a total of 88 lbs and I am 5 months post-op. I am 5'8" tall and I am now wearing size 14 jeans down from a size 24. I've got about another 40 lbs to reach my goal but my weightloss has slowed a bit but the #'s on the scale do keep dropping bit by bit.

Best of luck to you.

Surgery date
    08/08/2013
    Surgeon
    dr.wohlgemuth
    Last Activity
    06-03-2014 10:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 202 Times

It took 3 months I had no diet required by my insurance

Gastric Sleeve Member Wrightone111's Avatar
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    01/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marc Bessler
    Last Activity
    08-15-2015 04:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

It took me just under 4 months from first meeting with surgeon to surgery date. My insurance also did not require any supervised diet.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

It took me five months from consultation to OR, but 64 days of that was waiting for my surgery date to come around. My BMI was literally almost off the chart and my insurance company waved me right through. In retrospect I was glad of all the wait, even though I wasn't at the time. It allowed me to be super prepared by the time I hit my date. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member missemily516's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    12/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Channing Chin
    Last Activity
    02-03-2017 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

My referral from my PCP was in January 2013 and my surgery was December 23, 2013, so almost 1 year.
    "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    01/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jerome Schrapps
    Last Activity
    10-02-2018 10:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my first consultation in October 2012. I did switch surgeons and I did have a few months in between, but I had 6 months pre-op nutrition required. During that 6 months, I got all other appointments out of the way. The day of my last nutrition appointment, everything was submitted. With the insurance hurdles (which turned out to be the front desk lady making a few errors, ugh) approval took one month.

If I didn't run into any bumps with the staff, the whole process for me would have taken about 6 and a half months from first consultation to insurance approval and receiving a date. My date was for about a month down the road.