Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: almost 2 years post op and suffering from alcohol addiction

My heart goes out to you. AA is a good suggestion, but they substitute the alcohol with coffee and sugar and candy (more sugar) at a lot of their meetings. I have a family history of alcohol addiction on my father's side. (Both my father and his are/were functioning alcoholics.) I made a decision many years ago not to buy any booze (Couldn't go to bars as I would get bronchitis from second hand smoke.) and I now worry about this as it very common to replace the sugar addiction with alcohol. I am praying that my new addiction is to exercise or cleaning. If you need a buddy, I'm here.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    12-30-2013 01:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you ����

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    12-30-2013 01:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

And yes substance is runs deep for generations

Gastric Sleeve Member Chatty Kathy's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/04/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

I have been sober now for 18 months now. I too think I changed my alcohol addiction to Moose Tracks Ice Cream. I figured that I was not drinking alcohol so I had every right to eat Ice Cream. I currently attend one Women's Sobriety meeting a week. I find that us women are more compassionate to the issues of women in alcohol addiction. It is the best thing I have ever done. I have friends who do not judge me for my faults but support my accomplishments. I know that the thought of admitting you are an alcoholic and going to an AA meeting is very scary. I was terrified. After my first meeting, all my fears were gone. We always welcome newcomers, that is what keeps us sober. Helping another suffering alcoholic. Look up online your local chapter and there should be a meeting list by towns in your area. Women's groups are denoted with a "W" in the prefix code. I would recommend at least trying it. You won't know until you do. I also have my surgery scheduled hopefully for the end of March 2014. I am absolutely going to keep attending my meetings to that I do not slip back into thinking having a drink is a good idea. Best wishes on your journey. Remember, only you have the power to change you. Good Luck

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 06:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Just wanted to say Blessings and strength be unto you.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-05-2016 08:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

I just want to offer my support and understanding. By profession, I am a substance abuse counselor; but in my personal life, I have generations of experience with the issues. I'm not sure why you are looking at attending "non-12-step programs"; but in my many years of observation of what works, I have to say that the very best results I've seen have come from those attending 12-step programs... whether it is a professional treatment program or a self-help group like AA, or a combination of the two. Please do yourself a favor and at least try an AA group. If you don't like the first one you go to, try another. Each group has its own "personality". Some people do better in one than the other. Just keep trying until you find the one that works for you! Also, don't judge the group only with one meeting. Commit yourself to go to at least 6 meetings before writing them off. Make sure you go to both "open speakers meetings" and "closed meetings". Both have good things that you need. AA and Alanon are the most inexpensive way to go to get sober and stay that way.

You have shown your are serious about your health and your future by having bariatric surgery. You also have taken the hardest first step in the recovery process... admitting you are powerless over alcohol and your life has become unmanageable. Based on these two factors, I would say AA would be a perfect venue for you to get the help you need. Treatment facilities are historically filled with people that have not made these commitments yet.

If after trying AA, you still feel you need additional help, you can always check yourself into an outpatient program in your area. But whatever you decide to do, I applaud you in making this courageous step! I've not doubt that you are going to be successful in recovery! My prayers are with you. Feel free to email, if you just need a friend to talk to!

Good luck,
    Tina

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 140 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,740 Times
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with Tina on this one as well. Keep trying until you find a group that fits with you and your personality but the point being you need to try. I've had long talks with my daughter who is a senior substance / alcohol abuse counselor and she has dealt in the last few years with people who have transferred their substance abuse of food to alcohol. Sugar and how it sedated us before surgery is what the body craves sometimes post surgery and alcohol surely has enough sugar to take care of it all.
    Tina def has the right idea here - please don't stop till you get help.

Every journey begins with one small step....

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad you are here! The people are really supportive here and full of great information! Best wishes as you go through your journey!!

Name
    Tina2
    Surgery date
    11/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-02-2014 09:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times

Thank You for sharing. Admitting your problem is the first step. Overcoming an addiction to alcohol can be a long and bumpy road. At times, it may even feel impossible. But it’s not. If you’re ready to stop drinking and willing to get the support you need, you can recover from alcoholism and alcohol abuse—no matter how bad the addiction or how powerless you feel. I am a recovering alcoholic, (10 yrs) so I can relate to your feelings of powerlessness. It is important to remember that you are not alone. Alcoholism is not a life sentence. Recovery can and does happen. If you’re ready to make a change in your life then I suggest as others have on this form to seek professional help. Start by seeking a detox center in your area. My prayers are with you

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Realwomenhavecurves View Post
    Either way I refuse to let it get the best of me..That's the reason I posted this thread I wanted someone to listen to me for once... If I tell my family I think I'm drinking too much .. They say girl your acting crazy there's nothing wrong with you, they don't see it and can't imagine it so they simply ignore me .... I can't ignore myself any longer
    This really touched me. How many of us have heard the same thing about our weight? You aren't that fat, so and so is fatter, you look just fine to me. It's all covering up an issue because we live in a world of avoidance, not acceptance. Just like you said though, you refuse to let this get the best of you. That statement is where the strength starts showing through...simply refusing to give up or give in. I am with you, I have made up my mind to improve myself, even if others don't see it or want to see it. Never give up, and thank you for your honesty.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eibes
    Last Activity
    05-08-2014 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi,

I found your post by searching for alcoholism in the search bar. I had a sleeve a couple of years ago, and I am now in alcohol treatment. I was astounded to learn from my counselors that alcoholism is very common in patients following weight loss surgery (in my case the sleeve). I have learned from doctors that many of the origins of the neurotransmitters that regulate brain function (endorphins, serotonin, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine) actually originate in the stomach and digestive system. When this system is thrown "out of whack" so are the chemicals that control inner brain activity, frequently resulting in the brain seeking other methods of chemical regulation. The end result is often a dependency of another neuro-stimulant such as alcohol, benzodiazepines, or other mood affective substances. More and more research is supporting the phenomenon of people developing addictive disorders after weigh loss surgery who otherwise would not have developed them. I certainly was never made aware of this as a possible side effect of weight loss surgery, and neither was anyone else I know who have had the procedure. Looks like law suites waiting to happen.