Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Exercise is the key for me

Since breaking my back and sustaining other back related injuries exercise is a challenge. I had the surgery mainly to alleviate my pain. Well it did not work at all for my pain but some days it's even worse than before surgery. I am thrilled to be lighter and healthier in every other respect. I found that walking at least 5 miles a day on a very flat surface and water aerobics really worked well for me. I can tell when I am not doing my exercise.

Someone at work got fired three weeks ago and so I have had to start work on the desk at 6:00 instead of 7:00. This means no morning walk from 6:00 to 7:00. Then because of working late and traffic I have missed most of my water aerobic days. My back feels worse and the scale has gone in the wrong direction.

Because of having no thyroid I do not do food well at all in a normal way. I can smell food and gain weight. In the 3 weeks since my exercise has taken a nose dive my calorie count has remained basically the same at around 1,000 calories. I use myfitnesspal and am anal about logging in. I drink over 96 ounces of water a day and am taking all my vitamins and I get around 80 or 90 grams of protein a day. I have gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks and I KNOW it's the exercise issue.

Today I am going in to tell the front desk manager that while I am sorry they are short handed I will no longer start work early or stay late so I don't do my walking and classes. Period. This job is already pissing me off in some pretty significant ways and I am not going to let it stop me from making my goal and staying there.

That said, I have lost some inches but let this be a lesson to me and others. EXERCISE!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member speedracer's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Speedracer
    Surgery date
    02/18/2013
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exercise is the key for me

Back surgery didn't work for me either. I knew it would be iffy, when I had to sign a release saying "I understand this may or may not work" and "I understand, that there can be complications" and also, and my personal favorite "I understand with any spine surgery, you run the risk of being paralyzed". Because you cannot see a bad back, people think your a whiner, or a wuss. I try and cope the best I can, but how can I keep on a positive façade when inside I am in true pain.

Best of luck to you-
    "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"-unknown
    What worked for you to lose weight, may not work for me and vice versa - Speedracer
    I may not agree with what your saying, but I respect your opinion, just as long as you equally respect mine- Speedracer
    "Adapt, or become extinct"- unknown
    I have come to the conclusion that some people just need to fail to learn- speedracer

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

My back surgery was a trade-off, some better and some worse!! Still in constant pain... being in the water is the only time my back feels good, that or when it's under traction. Sadly they won't fuse my back under traction

Best wishes for you and glad you are being proactive about your health!

Gastric Sleeve Member ThisIs4Me's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Ernest Rehnke
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 214 Times in 211 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,012 Times
    Blog Entries

Ck into getting a spinal cord stimulator, its absolutely wonderful, I swear by mine

Im 6'2"...any questions? Lol

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a spinal cord stimulator and it was less than helpful. Have done water therapy, PT, occupational therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, massage therapy, shots in my back and pain management. I fractured my back, have 2 bulging disks, and a dislocated tailbone. I have not and will not have back surgery. The surgery I talked about was the sleeve. Weight loss did not help at all. All I can do is get through each day and keep exercising.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes exercise is the key. I know without it I would be gaining too. Life is to short to let a job shorten it even more. You have got to have time to take care of yourself and your health.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.