I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Last Activity
    03-25-2014 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Surgery in 9 days...what to expect?

Hey everyone,

I am having my surgery on Oct. 9th and like most I am VERY NERVOUS. I have to do this as I think it is the ONLY way that I can maintain a good weight and stay healthy. I eat very good, salads, etc. however my problem is EATHING TO MUCH. My doctor thought this would be perfect for me. I am a strong person for the most part. I work very hard, go to school while being an Accountant, but am a PRIVATE PERSON....

My questions....Is it okay to be keeping this a secret from my friends and family? What can I expect the day of surgery? How will I feel? How long is my stay in the hospital? My biggest question at this time is HOW HARD is it have only liquids for the first few weeks? Will I really NOT FEEL like eating anyway so it may be easier than I anticipate? Any advice would help. Thanks all....Wish me luck. :-)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 89 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Surgery in 9 days...what to expect?

Hi most of those questions u will have to ask ur Dr...it varies from Dr to Dr...and hosp to hosp. Most ppl take a week or 2 off of work and there is a lifting restriction. Gl

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimpossible318's Avatar
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    09-08-2014 10:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 188 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,437 Times
    Blog Entries

It's hard for me to relate on the privacy thing because I'm really not that private of a person. I just as soon let everyone know so that I wouldn't have to explain my rapid weight loss or why I don't drink during a meal or why I eat so very little. It is, of course, a personal choice, however, so if you don't feel comfortable sharing, than don't share.

Everyone's stories are going to be a bit different since every surgeon does things differently. I will say that the day of surgery, I was asked a million questions I had already answered and then wheeled down the hall to the O.R. I don't remember anything after that until I woke up in recovery in pain. It wasn't horrible pain. They gave me meds which made it better and once I woke up after that, they brought me to my room. I had morphine and a pain pump...it was constantly dripping, but I could add a bit more twice every hour, I believe, and initially I did. They put these sleeved things on my legs that basically massaged them to help me avoid getting blood clots. Every 4 hours they came in to take my vitals and to give me a breathing treatment. I got up to walk as soon as I could and started off with my nurse walking with me for one lap around the ward and worked my way up to 4 laps unassisted by the time I left the following day. I slept on and off throughout the day with my worst complaint being my dry cotton mouth. Every time I walked my lap(s), I would come back to my room, use the bathroom, and brush my teeth (to help the cotton mouth). The next morning they came to get me for my leak test. Mine was 2 parts...a clear thick sugary liquid and then the barium. I passed it and was sent back to my room where I had to wait for the final results to post. 2 hours later the final official results posted and they brought me a tray with water, chicken broth, and jello to sip on. I only had to stay one night.

I only had to have clear liquids for the first 4 days post-op and then I was able to add protein shakes and creamy soups until I hit day 9. I went for my first post-op appointment at Day 9 and was given the okay for soft foods. Really it was okay. Each stage poses its challenge. Most of the time I don't feel hungry and have to remind myself I need to eat (or I have ZERO energy). You really will get full fairly fast...maybe not on the liquid stage, but by the time you hit soft foods, without a doubt.

Just keep reading/researching on the forum so you know exactly what you can expect in one degree or another. I feel strongly that being informed is KEY to success.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Kim. I appreciate the thorough response. Speaking of the "leak" test. Aside from drinking something is it just an x-ray or do they have to go inside? I am an "anxious" person when I don't know WHAT IS COMING....to avoid that if I can know what to expect I can anticipate and be better off. It's the whole UNKNOWING that has me uneasy. For the most part, I can tolerate pain and such at a high level. I usually don't put any meds in my body ever so I deal with pain well, more than the unknowing. Also, I am having an Endoscopy tomorrow that they said they require to make sure nothing is going on before surgery. Did you have to do this? Simple?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cynthia
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 02:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 615 Times

I didn't tell ANY of my co-workers!!!!! It was a personal choice and I chose NOT to tell!!!!! I was sleeved on Friday and went back to work on Wednesday to a desk job!!!!! I never had one single problem. My one week liquid diet was easy, on one and work noticed or really said anything because all the ladies are usually trying g this OR that to loose!!!!! Good luck hope this helps!!!!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cynthia
    Surgery date
    02/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-30-2014 02:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 615 Times

No one noticed lol love auto spell and I was in the hospital for 2 nights!!!!! Surgery Friday, released on Sunday!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Flipflop....Didn't any one wonder where you were? No family asked? How did you drive yourself there and check yourself out? Ddin't the hospital make you have a driver? Hmmm...

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimpossible318's Avatar
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    09/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    09-08-2014 10:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 188 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,437 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1017 View Post
    Thanks Kim. I appreciate the thorough response. Speaking of the "leak" test. Aside from drinking something is it just an x-ray or do they have to go inside? I am an "anxious" person when I don't know WHAT IS COMING....to avoid that if I can know what to expect I can anticipate and be better off. It's the whole UNKNOWING that has me uneasy. For the most part, I can tolerate pain and such at a high level. I usually don't put any meds in my body ever so I deal with pain well, more than the unknowing. Also, I am having an Endoscopy tomorrow that they said they require to make sure nothing is going on before surgery. Did you have to do this? Simple?
    You are more than welcome, Amy! If you have time, check out my blog on here...I have detailed my experiences with all the procedures.

The leak test is kind of cool...they had me drink the stuff while they were x-raying me (standing up), so they could watch the fluids go down my esophagus then into my stomach and then into my intestines. The reason I had two different fluids is because the first one (clear) is safe for the abdominal cavity in case you do leak. The second, the barium, I believe is even more accurate for them since it shows up better on the x-ray. I wasn't aware of the 2 drinks, only the barium, so your doctor may only have you do the barium.

As far as the endoscopy goes, for some reason I was ridiculously nervous about this....pretty cool, calm, and collected about everything else and this thing had me shaking the morning of. It was super easy breezy. No big deal at all. =)

I actually take meds for anxiety...the only medication I take (other than the post-op meds I'm just now finishing up with) and so I completely understand wanting to be fully mentally prepared for each step in the process. It calms the anxiety.

I will say that I was not made aware I would be given a prescription for injections to have to give myself post-op. They are blood clotting injections that the doctor decided to add to my RX list last minute before I was discharged and I had not even read about that from anyone else on here, so it caused me some anxiety. Just mentioning it in case your doctor prescribes them to you so you are prepared. I have had to give them to myself once a day in my stomach (alternating sides) for 2 weeks. Tomorrow is my last one - yay!

A question you may want to ask your doctor is if you will have to deal with a drain. Some doctors put one in post-op but then have it removed before you leave the hospital and others make you take it home and then remove it at your post-op appointment. I didn't have a drain at all, but I made sure to ask my surgeon a head of time so I knew.

If you have any other questions, just ask - I'm happy to answer to the best of my knowledge! =)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Kim. I have the drain on my list. Tell me more, if there is any, about the injections after. You have to give yourself a shot in the stomach once a day for 2 weeks? Am I understanding that? NO ONE mentioned that to me, so that is now on my list. Thanks. UGH....more nervous. :-(

Surgery date
    09/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Hughes
    Last Activity
    04-08-2014 03:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts

My surgery was on a Thursday, released on Friday. I didn't have to have the leak test and I don't have any injections post op. The only med I had after surgery was pain meds (took once and then not again) and acid reflux. I could have done a desk job by the next Thursday for sure, but probably Wednesday. The biggest problem will be you are going to be TIRED.

As far as telling people, that's totally up to you. You could tell people you are doing a colon cleanse or some protein diet that starts with a liver cleanse of liquids at first. Whatever you want is up to you, just know what you are going to say before people ask - because they WILL ask!

I thought about not telling my family but I decided that they would be totally hurt if they found out later. I decided to face my fears of disapproval and tell my parents. Now, my mother then went ahead and told her entire church - I think she printed it in the bulletin (kidding, but really everyone knows)! And I should have told her I would rather people not know but I didn't. And in the grand scheme of things, I don't care. It gives her something to talk about and I'll probably never see these people. What do I care if they know?

Other than my family, I told my close friends. They are the people I'd be eating with and would know something was up. I also didn't want to lie to them later on when they realized I was half my original size and they asked how I did it.

But either way - that's a personal thing. I have a friend who posted on facebook and although she gets lots of good attention, I thing some people are over doing it. For example, she was tagged in a photo of a group of people. Everyone posted "XYZ, you look great!" Well what about the other pretty ladies in the photo?? So, for me, I'm off facebook with the comments about me losing weight.

Good luck - you'll do great.
    Kat

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Kat,
    Thank you. I am doing protein shakes so that is getting the ball rolling and probably no one will think otherwise,ya know. I'm nervous. How are you doing? What was your biggest challenge? Do you really not feel hungry because the gherlin part of the stomach is gone? Also, did you have to fast for 2 weeks before? I don't , but I read some dr. Make you have liquid diet for 2 weEks? I know it's for the liver but why do some do and some don't. Just curious

Surgery date
    09/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Hughes
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

I did have to do the liquid for two meals a day for two weeks prior. I don't know if it was for the liver (they said it was) but also gets your stomach used to eating less. I really wasn't hungry for the next meal, even before surgery! It also allows you time to find protein shakes that you like. So I didn't mind doing it. It also jump starts your weight loss so that is a nice mental boost.

I'm three weeks out and I've lost 25 pounds. I feel great but I'm afraid of losing my hair because I do find it hard to gt the protein in. I can't even drink a whole protein shake. I am trying to get all my protein from food and it's tough. I need to start taking my vitamins and proscar (Rx given to me for propecia).

My biggest problem has been drinking eveything. I wake up late and then have breakfast. You're not supposed to drink 30 mins prior or post meal so really I can't drink anything before lunch either. After lunch, I get busy and forget. Before I know it, it's 3pm and I haven't had liquid. So I try and drink 2 glass and then have to stop because it's going to be dinner time. Then I'm stuck trying to drink the rest of my liquid before bedtime. I'm working in getting better at that.

And to answer your question, no I really wasn't hungry at all for several weeks (before and after). I do now get hungry but only after 5-6 hours of nothing. I'm not hungry for snacks and I'm not super, famished, kind of hungry either. I'm usually hunger-satisfied after two bites. I continue eating until my stomach is full because I want the protein.

Kat

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Well my Endoscopy went well today. Phew....that's done. My question now is how much protein are they saying we should be getting after surgery? If you don't get enough protein it makes your hair fall out? YIKES.....

Surgery date
    09/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Hughes
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Ultimately they want you to have 60-80 grams of protein. That's really hard right after surgery, but shoot for it as you progress.
    Kat