Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    01-23-2016 06:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 86 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Depression post sleeve

I've had depression since childhood. I've been on medication on and off, I really don't like to be medicated. I am 11 months post sleeve and very happy with my results. Reached my dr's goal weight, yay! I am not too far from my own. Personal goal. A few months (around may) ago my depression hit super hard. Normally I can climb back out with time without any outside help. Well, other than self diagnosing and prescribing with food like I did pre-op. This time without my old BFF (food) I feel like I am drowning and no matter how hard I try to reach the surface I keep being pulled under. It takes every ounce of energy to put a happy face on for my hubby and kids. I am exhausted and in actual physical pain. To make it worse I finally worked the nerve to mention how I was feeling to my husband, who doesn't believe in depression, and he took it personal. He flipped out, said I must not be happy with him if I feel like I need to be put on medication. He mentioned how he has been supportive of me having wls because I thought this would help me. Now, before anyone goes on a rampage about me kicking my husband to the curb, I have a great husband. He grew up in a different culture that doesn't believe in depression and like mental illnesses(?). Needless to say I felt stupid for sharing how I felt and have been in tears all morning. I knew wls was not going to make my depression go away. Heck I even knew that in some aspects it would be harder since I wouldn't be able to turn to food. But I'm wondering am I alone in this? Another thing I am struggling with is that everyone around me... My husband, parents, siblings, coworkers, friends, are telling me to stop losing weight. I still have not gotten to my goal. They tell me I am starting to look unhealthy, which they didn't tell me at 332 lbs btw. And one girl actually said my head was too big for my body so I need to stop where I am or I would look like Starr Jones (her words not mine). I do have a big head but still. This is discouraging. I am losing motivation. I don't want to lose motivation.

Help, please.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Juliebythec's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    06-10-2019 12:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 102 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Depression post sleeve

Sounds like you need to get to a support group. There are many available and just because you have lost the weight depression does not go away. There is no stigma to taking a medication to help you through this. It's a shame you husband does not understand and I wish he could be more supportive but this is something you are doing for you. Not him. Try and get some help either at a hospital, they commonly have the support groups for free or talk to your doc and get on some meds. DOn't let this tie you down. My best thoughts and wishes are with you.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/04/2012
    Surgeon
    LEBLANC
    Last Activity
    10-09-2013 03:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Are you saved? A personal relationship with
    Jesus Christ has delivered me from every sickness
    And healed me of all depression. For the joy of
    The LORD is my strength and HE would love to be
    Yours too. Call on Jesus HE will answer!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

Honey, you need to speak to someone about this, I have a good friend who also has depression and has hit bottom so many times, but refuses to stay on her meds, or seek support. You don't even have to tell your family, make an appointment and go see someone, Your weight loss is wonderful and you should be so proud of yourself! Don't let others tell you what you should or shouldn't do. your weight will soon tapper off and then its just a matter of maintaining it. Your body knows when enough is enough. Keep up your nutrition during this time, make sure you get in your protein, fruits and veggies. This forum is a wonderful place for help, everyone is fighting a battle, no matter how big or small it may be. Keep your head up, keep moving forward, and never give up. Is there a place where you live that offers a support group that you might be able to join? I wish you the best and for now remember this is your journey and honey you are doing wonderful!!!! Keep that smile on your face and move forward!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

People who knew you as obese are freaked out by the change. My highest weight was 332, once I got under 200# people actually started telling me I didn't have more to lose - seriously? They aren't being mean, they just don't see us as normal sized people so we look too small to them.

Is your full body shot in your profile current?
    What is your BMI/weight?
    I do think we can get hung up with a number on a scale, but it sounds to me like you are healthy range and doing great, so you sorta need to learn to just smile and nod and not even tell those same people you are still trying to lose weight. just be sure you DONT get obsessed with being uberthin, because that is a whole nother set of problems.

I think you should get medical treatment for your depression and why do you even need to discuss it with your hubby? Losing a 150#+++ pounds is a life rocking event - very positive for sure but emotionally disturbing for many of us. Get the help you need, doesn't make you (or him) bad people that you don't agree on it, but it is YOUR health and YOUR body.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

People who knew you as obese are freaked out by the change. My highest weight was 332, once I got under 200# people actually started telling me I didn't have more to lose - seriously? They aren't being mean, they just don't see us as normal sized people so we look too small to them.

What is your BMI/weight?
    I do think we can get hung up with a number on a scale, but it sounds to me like you are healthy range and doing great, so you sorta need to learn to just smile and nod and not even tell those same people you are still trying to lose weight. just be sure you DONT get obsessed with being uberthin, because that is a whole nother set of problems.

I think you should get medical treatment for your depression and why do you even need to discuss it with your hubby? Losing a 150#+++ pounds is a life rocking event - very positive for sure but emotionally disturbing for many of us. Get the help you need, doesn't make you (or him) bad people that you don't agree on it, but it is YOUR health and YOUR body.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr De La Cruz
    Last Activity
    12-31-2023 02:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I had surgery in June and although my results health wise are great .

I too am severely depressed even though I am on medication and have been for 30 years.

I also do not have any energy to do anything.

I still think of myself as a severely obese person.

I plan all day what I want to eat !

I tried to go to the gym today for the first time .

30 minutes on the treadmill and weights now I feel sick and lifeless.

Depression is real and God bless your husband as he does not have that problem.

But you need support and somebody to talk to.

Maybe exercise will help (it did not help me!).

Try listening to your favorite music or take a walk or just do something you love to do.

Enjoy your children.

The best of luck to you.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebythec View Post
    Sounds like you need to get to a support group. There are many available and just because you have lost the weight depression does not go away. There is no stigma to taking a medication to help you through this. It's a shame you husband does not understand and I wish he could be more supportive but this is something you are doing for you. Not him. Try and get some help either at a hospital, they commonly have the support groups for free or talk to your doc and get on some meds. DOn't let this tie you down. My best thoughts and wishes are with you.
    A support group really is something I need to look into. Thank you. Good luck on your surgery!

Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FITFORTHEKINGDOM View Post
    Are you saved? A personal relationship with
    Jesus Christ has delivered me from every sickness
    And healed me of all depression. For the joy of
    The LORD is my strength and HE would love to be
    Yours too. Call on Jesus HE will answer!
    I am, so far my faith and my family has always pulled me through. I think that's why I'm struggling so much right now. I keep reaching but I can't seem to grab hold... It's hard to explain. I don't stop praying and I won't stop. I just have moments of frustration I guess where I get so overwhelmed.. Thank you.

Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yankegal View Post
    Honey, you need to speak to someone about this, I have a good friend who also has depression and has hit bottom so many times, but refuses to stay on her meds, or seek support. You don't even have to tell your family, make an appointment and go see someone, Your weight loss is wonderful and you should be so proud of yourself! Don't let others tell you what you should or shouldn't do. your weight will soon tapper off and then its just a matter of maintaining it. Your body knows when enough is enough. Keep up your nutrition during this time, make sure you get in your protein, fruits and veggies. This forum is a wonderful place for help, everyone is fighting a battle, no matter how big or small it may be. Keep your head up, keep moving forward, and never give up. Is there a place where you live that offers a support group that you might be able to join? I wish you the best and for now remember this is your journey and honey you are doing wonderful!!!! Keep that smile on your face and move forward!
    I am planning on joining a support group. I talked to my husband again. Actually talked/cried he listened. He agreed I needed to talk to someone. Maybe he can join to better understand depression. Thank you. The meds are hard for me. It's personal for me. Even after surgery I filled but never took any of the scripts. Don't know why. Maybe it's part of my own personal crazy. Yeah I'm special.

Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljane View Post

What is your BMI/weight?

I get what you're saying. Ppl actually call me skinny even though I am technically overweight. I am now 5'8 and 184lbs. My dr said my maximum weight loss would put me at 185. At about 200 I started to hear that I should stop with the weight loss. The picture was not current but. Did update it to one from yesterday. My personal goal was 165 that would still keep me at overweight and I was ok with that.

I've never been one to keep anything from my husband and didn't want to start now. I think my mistake though is that I hide my depression while being honest about needing treatment. We spoke about it more and he showed a lot more support so I guess we go from here.

Thank you.

Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewsiv View Post
    I had surgery in June and although my results health wise are great .

I too am severely depressed even though I am on medication and have been for 30 years.

I also do not have any energy to do anything.

I still think of myself as a severely obese person.

I plan all day what I want to eat !

I tried to go to the gym today for the first time .

30 minutes on the treadmill and weights now I feel sick and lifeless.

Depression is real and God bless your husband as he does not have that problem.

But you need support and somebody to talk to.

Maybe exercise will help (it did not help me!).

Try listening to your favorite music or take a walk or just do something you love to do.

Enjoy your children.

The best of luck to you.
    Thank you, like you the weight loss and exercise didn't help. But I'm going to take it day by day. I also still see big ole me when i look in the mirror. pictures shock me though. I can never believe its really me. I log everything and weigh every meal. 11 months out. its not just You. good luck to you and Thank you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I think you look great, good job! Depression runs in families, it's in your genes so don't feel bad if you need help. Society makes it sound like a good thing but mental health is just as important as physical health. Get the help you need and don't feel bad for doing it. Lose more weight if you feel you want to, but don't let others decide for you. People always have an opinion, ugh.

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 140 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,740 Times
    Blog Entries

I am very happy that your husband is standing behind you on speaking to someone. I pray that life will become more manageable for you. If it makes you feel better come here everyday and use this site as a diary. There is always someone here to listen

Every journey begins with one small step....

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member PipperMarrow's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    04-30-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Lady, I'm sorry you are having a rough time right now. My husband doesn't believe in depression or weight loss surgery either, but I have had both. i can tell you the ONLY thing that helped me was medication. After 5 weeks I felt like a different person. Depression can be chemical which means support group, weight surgery, etc. will not help. I'm a Christian, I believed Jesus would help me, he led me right to the doctors office to get medication. There are different medications now that can help with depression and the physical pain that comes with it.

Please find a doctor or just mention it to your primary. I lost a good friend to depression a few months ago, I begged her to get medication and now she is not here. I wish I would have done more to help but I tried everything. I did not tell my husband about medication until he noticed I was doing better, then I let him know and now he is okay with it. I have you in my prayers. Big Hugs, Pip

P.s. Unless your 7 ft tall I would say 185 is not skinny and your goal sounds reasonable!

25. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast