Surgeon
    Dr. John G. Touliatos
    Last Activity
    02-19-2014 01:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,288 Times

Default Re: A Chefs Perspective

where would you find evaporated cane juice?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 11:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Thank you. this helps me a great deal. My biggest fear about the surgery is that I will have to rely on bars and protein drinks instead of real food.
    I don't like eating things that are made by food companies.

Gastric Sleeve Member perkymander's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amanda
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Theordore Small
    Last Activity
    08-19-2014 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow! Thank you. You truly put something complex (in my mind) into simple, matter of fact, understandable terms. I still have a hard time grasping what is important as far as calories, fat, protein, etc. But reading your blog helped me make more sense out of it all than I ever have. You have nothing to apologize for, your words of wisdom are true and should be heard. I think if anyone is offended they should take another look at what they are doing, and realize you are right, we have all taken big steps to get to this point and spend lots of money why waste this 2nd chance to try to be a healthier, happier person ON FOOD! Thank you so much, I am new to all this (10 days post op) and you have helped me see things from a different perspective. I really appreciate that. I look forward to reading your blogs in the future.

Name
    Melody Green
    Surgery date
    06/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Kenneth Hollis
    Last Activity
    12-16-2013 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

YOU are awesome! Please post more. I needed this. I am doing what I am supposed to do, but do not think I am eating enough carbs. Cannot think or have to concentrate really hard. The other is that I was a diabetic and I am afraid of triggering myself back to it. I do not eat ANY sugar that I am aware of and look at all the labels. I pretty much eat like you but still sub a shake for breakfast. I think my biggest struggle is afraid of becoming diabetic again! Please keep posting!!!!

Name
    Adrienne
    Surgery date
    07/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lisa hawver Martin
    Last Activity
    11-27-2015 11:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 343 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for this post I think it's well needed and 100 percent correct !

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Weight day before surgery.....256.8
    Preop diet start...275.8
    3 days after surgery...266

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

I agree with most of your post. Keep it simple and flavourful. Examine why you got fat, and take those items out of your diet (for the most part ).
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

Name
    Jonelle
    Surgery date
    06/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Raul Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    01-28-2016 08:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 82 Times

Jake - thank you for your post. I wouldn't be so apologetic for stating what you know to be fact. I too have read posts from some who talk about cookies and chips and beer and am amazed that they're not 3 years out - more like 3 weeks out. I can't help but think they are not the ones who'll be successful in this journey. Personally, I'm good at home, the challenge comes when I'm caught out and realize that I have to find something. Do you have any recommendations for that situation? Just curious from your perspective.

Name
    K
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Michelle Toder
    Last Activity
    11-24-2015 09:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 85 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,617 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Jake! As a newbie this has been a reaffirmation of what my nutritionist is telling me!

Entered SWLP 8/2/13 (289)
    Surgery date 1/13/14 (260)
    Onderland 9/1/14 (197.8)
    Century Mark 11/7/14 (189.8)
    11 Mo Ck in 12/19/14 (184.6)
    Anniversary 1/13/15 (181.0)
    18 months out 6/25/15 (173)

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

This was a great post. Next time you makes something yummy and good for us I would love it if you posted the recipe! I think the problem with a lot of us is a lack of understanding when it comes to seasonings. I know there are a lot of things you can combine to create some great flavors but I don't have the knowledge to even know what to buy or combine. This would be a great help!! I know you are busy but if you ever get a moment I would greatly appreciate it!! Great message for all of us!

Name
    Melody Green
    Surgery date
    06/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Kenneth Hollis
    Last Activity
    12-16-2013 02:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Good LUck!!!! Keep us posted!

Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

I can't thank you enough Jake. I've been one that has slipped and gained. My oldest son is married to a dietitian but instead of support from her I get ridicule. I'm currently looking for a support group in my area so that I can get some help. Thank you for the information and all of the time you spent typing this. I found it both informational and entertaining! We all need help and you gave it to us...thank you so very much sir!

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    01/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richard Boorse
    Last Activity
    04-18-2016 10:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 565 Times
    Blog Entries

You weren't offensive at all, very informative - you said things that many of us need to hear. Over the past few years I've gotten away from making processed convenience foods at home except on very rare occasions. After I'm sleeved it will be not at all. Fresh, homemade food tastes better to me anymore. Thanks for this post!

Twitter: TheJenn_C

Gastric Sleeve Member chefjake99's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ricardo Bonner
    Last Activity
    11-09-2019 10:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

OK finally off work! I can finally respond... I've been getting the email notices all day today and have been anxious to get back to you all. First of all let me say thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. It means more to me than you know. Now let me try and answer some specific questions first.

Matthewsiv - What do I do when I have a bad day? ... Like I said sometimes I lose the battle but with that said what I try to do is go work out instead. I find that when I go and work out when I am irritated or frustrated about something I work out harder. I'm blowing off whatever steam that needs to be blown off. I have never been a gym person before but it is really helping when I can go. By the end of my workout I have always felt better and more capable to deal with the food stuff. I also feel more energetic, this is what it feels like to speed up the metabolism. Much better than hitting the taco bell drive thru because I'm upset.

Dgoerlitz - I know your question was rhetorical but I am going to answer it anyway.
    How bad do I want it?... I want "it" more than anything. My kids have never seen me healthy! Ever! It breaks my heart knowing this. How can I be a good example to my sons when it comes to health when I am what I am? They used to say things like you tummy makes a good pillow dad, and while it was cute coming from them it hurt to hear it. Now they say I can feel your bones dad, I can actually get my arms around you dad. Yes the hugs are much better these days. So to restate how badly I want it... It means more than anything to me, I want to be a good dad and husband for the rest of my life.

Bulldog - You can find evaporated cane juice at most grocery stores these days. Mainly in the hippie foo foo organic sections. Its not what it sounds like. Its not juice or least it is not liquid. It looks more like a fine raw sugar slightly tan or brown in color. I buy it at Costco in 10# bags. With that said just because its not as bad for you as regular sugar or corn syrup it still is not necessarily good for you. I use it sparingly when I do use it.

NellieFl - I try to always have a bar and or some ready to drink protein drinks with me for times when I am out and unable to get anything else. I will also just stop at a grocery store sometimes run in and get something like some hummus or a yogurt maybe even some deli turkey and chow that down. It is just as quick as a drive through really you just have to get out of the car instead. A brisk 3 minute walk through the grocery store. Just don't slow down to look at the bread and cookies they always seem to put right at the entrance.

Kelli D. - I am going to elaborate a bit more I think at the end of this post or perhaps in another post. Actually yours was the last question so here we go.

Again your words of encouragement meant more than you know with that said I want to share something with you now that I have been thinking about since about 4 weeks post op. I have been thinking about writing a cookbook specifically for bariatric patients and WLS minded people. Something like "the sleeved chef" or... I don't know help me out with a catchy title. The thing is it is very costly to have a cook book published with any form of quality. It will be also challenging because of all of the details that would need to be covered regarding WLS, the different stages of the diet, not to mention I have a lot to say about this subject. I am looking for ideas to get this project started or perhaps even some sort of organization that would be willing to sponsor and or help me out with this task maybe someone like the Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America. I don't know Im throwing darts really. But I feel like I have something to offer. I am a well trained chef who still lives to eat and doesn't eat to live. I enjoy good food and believe that a diet after WLS can still be tasty and enjoyable not just a chore to put the needed calories in the body. It would take days and days to post on this forum recipes and techniques not to mention the philosophy of how to make this diet scrumptious. I feel like the info would just disappear in a few days along with the rest of the posts. I am opening up to you all as a group to tell me what you think about this idea. Again thanks for all the encouragement , it reaffirmed that I may be on to something with this idea and that what I know might actually matter and make a difference. I think I will also post this idea in a separate thread so those that didn't read this post can also see it and toss the idea around a bit.

Name
    K
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Michelle Toder
    Last Activity
    11-24-2015 09:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 85 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,617 Times
    Blog Entries

Chef Jake,
    Look into publishing on-line via Amazon or another self publishing site. Or start a blog of your recipes, you could post it on this site, or on a free blog site like Google Blog. I like the title the Sleeved Chef. Thanks again.

Entered SWLP 8/2/13 (289)
    Surgery date 1/13/14 (260)
    Onderland 9/1/14 (197.8)
    Century Mark 11/7/14 (189.8)
    11 Mo Ck in 12/19/14 (184.6)
    Anniversary 1/13/15 (181.0)
    18 months out 6/25/15 (173)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 11:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would be very interested if you do this.