Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    08-17-2015 02:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Anybody with Gastroparesis or other GI issues?

Do you have GP or another GI related diagnosis? I would love to chat with you!!

The short of it: I think I have Gastroparesis. When thru a battery of test earlier this year, including an upper and lower endoscopy, HIDA scan for the gallbladder, genetic testing for Celiac and a (90min) gastric emptying study. Found out I have celiac and much of my symptoms improved when I went GF.

A specialized GI told me that I most likely don't have gastroparesis b/c 1) 90 minutes is not long enough to determine if I have GP or not (4 hours is the gold standard 2) I was on the cusp of what would be read at 90 minutes to be dx with gastroparesis and 3) because some many things were improving after going GF, it might have been my body's way of dealing/removing the gluten from my system.

I opted not to do the 4 hour study b/c I was improving, didn't have any more violent, vomiting episodes. Two of the more than 10 resulted me in the urgent care for fluids and anti-nausea meds.

All this pretty much went away after going GF. Until last night.

At 11pm, they started again, out of blue and complete unexpected. Without being too gross, what came back up was easily identified. More than 6 hours, pretty much my entire dinner came back with a vengeance. This is not normal and a strong indication of GP. Within 2 hours the contents of your stomach should be digested, if not emptied into the small intestines. By 1am, I had severe abdominal pains, vomited 6 times and starting to dehydrate. It's the stomach pains that hurt beyond anything I have felt. I did go to the ER b/c of the pain but also for fluids.

So, now I question if I am a VSG candidate. If my stomach doesn't function properly to begin with, why am I cutting out 75% of it? I now have the gastric empty study to rule out Gastroparesis, scheduled for early Sept. Now I know that it wasn't just by body's way of purging the gluten for my stomach to do this. I've been gluten free for several months now, and this episode came out of the blue.

I am scared to think I might not be a candidate any more. I have a BMI of 47 and only 5 feet tall. I need this sleeve, but not sure my stomach literally is up for it.

Follow my VGS journey on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Shadow__Cruiser (2 underscores b/t names)
    Follow my VGS journey on Blogger: http://lacesinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Blessed2014's Avatar
    Last Activity
    03-29-2014 05:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody with Gastroparesis or other GI issues?

I had my surgery June 2013 n that surgeon didn't say anything about the gastric sleeve not being for people with stomach problems ! I had acid reflux before n now it's ten times worse n went for two other opinions n they both said I should hav had the RNY surgery just because of my acid problems! Now they r wanting too do the RNY bypass too help me eat cause I am getting malnourished! So taking one day at a time n all in Gods hands ! I am scheduled for Egd next week with my second bariatric Dr so yea just day by day! Hope this helps ! Good luck n God Bless!