Surgeon
    Washington
    Last Activity
    07-31-2020 04:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Unhappy Plantar Fascitis

Has anyone here suffered from Plantar Fasciitis?? I have been dealing with this for almost 5 months now! It started in both feet and my right foot just will not heal up. I have had 2 injections which only helped a little. I do daily stretches,ice and take celebrex or Ibuprofen as needed. I thought I would try and start back my walking regimen this weekend but it has only made my foot worse. I dont know how I am gonna keep this weight off after my sleeve if I can't freaking exercise The only thing I can do is ride my bike and even that makes my foot hurt sometimes. I am soo disgusted with this, worst pain ever. I keep telling myself that this is from the excess weight and that it will get better after my surgery, but I just don't know. I don't know how I even came to acquire this crap to begin with. Sorry to rant..... I just tired of the pain

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

Default Re: Plantar Fascitis

I cured my PF using a combination of things after the spending $$$ at the podiatrist and his stupid custom inserts (that failed).

I bought myself some really good shoes. I buy NAOTs. Expensive but so worth it. Then, I wore crocs around the house. I bought a sandal-type pair. Finally, I went for a few sessions of deep-tissue massage. Hurt like a mo-fo but he really worked out the kinks in all the little tendons. It took me a good 3/4 of a year before I could go barefoot in the house, again.
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

I had TERRIBLE plantar fac in BOTH feet. Got it from walking every day for hours on concrete in bad shoes & exercising in the same bad shoes. Per the podiatrist, I went to a specialty shoe store & bought the "perfect fit" tennis shoes for my feet. Plus got custom inserts from the podiatrist. btw the inserts squeaked when I walked! A friend told me to sprinkle talcum powder on them every day & that solved the problem. Unfortunately you really do have to give them a good 6 months of ease to heal up. I swam laps during that time. Of course, losing weight should help a lot. Good luck & give your tootsies a rest

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 01:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times

Mine were a result of wearing flip flops and moccassins all the time. Good shoes and stretches took care of, but it took time and it comes back whenever I do the flip flops on the concrete.

In the meantime, I did water aerobics. Good exercise and not on your feet.

Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

Make sure at night you don't point your feet when you are laying in bed. Stretch your legs and feet before you get out of bed. There are some good stretching exercises if you google them. It took me about 6 months to get rid of mine. I don't wear sandals that have a lot of flop to them anymore and I still do stretching exercises all the time. It hurts bad enough that I don't ever want that to happen again! Good luck to you!!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Bill Rizk
    Last Activity
    01-23-2014 09:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 56 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I have it too and I can't believe how bad it hurts. I am blaming it on my weight. I am hoping after losing weight with the sleeve it will get better.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    02-08-2014 04:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I have suffered with it for about 15 years. It was so bad at first I would get out of bed and have to crawl to the bathroom and put my feet in hot water and stretch them before I could walk. So crazy painful! Now that I've lost weight my feet are 100% better. I can wear normal shoes without inserts and its great!

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Washington
    Last Activity
    07-31-2020 04:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Michellemo View Post
    I have suffered with it for about 15 years. It was so bad at first I would get out of bed and have to crawl to the bathroom and put my feet in hot water and stretch them before I could walk. So crazy painful! Now that I've lost weight my feet are 100% better. I can wear normal shoes without inserts and its great!
    That's great!! It's very encouraging to hear that. I can't wait to get rid of this pain. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy!

Thanks everyone!

Gastric Sleeve Member Nene135712's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    01-17-2016 03:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Planter Fasciitis ----MY friend-LOL-Not!!! Have bone spurs on both heels, 1 on the left and 2 on the right, which causes planter fasciitis. I am down 42 pounds and the left foot is better but the right still hurts a lot. No doubt that good shoes and custom orthotics do help. Without them I would not be able to walk. I am on my feet 12 hours a day on concrete and that does not help either. I am sure that the more weight that comes off the better they will feel.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member donewithdieting's Avatar
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    05-15-2016 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 711 Times

You have time to nip this. My podiatrist said to buy New Balance running shoes (not walking). I did and back to work walking on cement, and everything (Nurse in a hospital) . The pain went away almost right away. No problems for over 10 years now. Lots of advice here, so good luck on what will work for you. Linda

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Dee
    Surgery date
    09/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-24-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

After a year of shots, Prednisone, Biofreeze, taping, exercise, etc., I had to have surgery. . . a plantar release. Then I had to go to physical therapy a dozen times. . . still not 100% but at least I can walk - I was almost disabled for the better part of a year. . . hope when I have surgery I will get to 100%.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

I had it too, about 10 years ago. The best thing I did was to find good supportive shoes. I found that most shoes don't have good arch support, and I have flat feet. Once I switched to Reebok DMX with added arch support, mine eventually went away. That was before I even lost weight. I now take my arch supports and switch them to what ever shoes I'm wearing that day. I can even wear some sandals, and these even have a bit of an arch. I wish I could find these again! They're Sketchers, but they are several years old, and they just don't make them any more. Boo! Hopefully you'll find your relief with weight-loss.
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Gastric Sleeve Member reading mom's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    02-25-2015 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 123 Times
    Was Thanked 218 Times in 210 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,641 Times

I've had it for 17 years. I wear a lot of Birkenstocks. The arch support is almost identical to the inserts I had made at the drs office. That may not be true for everyone, but they do help me. Here is the hard part. When we lose weight it will help tremendously. But my surgeon has had me switch to tylenol which does nothing for my pain. So I'm off the alleve that helped my feet and the arthritis in my knees. I knew before I decided to have the surgery I would have to give it up and I have faith that when I lose more the pain will get better, but for now it sucks. Yoga also helps, but now that I'm teaching again I cant find a class that works with my schedule. I do have some good dvds though. Besides losing weight, which you're going to do, my recommendations are yoga and good arch support. Hang in there!

Gastric Sleeve Member MzNeedlesNPins's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    08/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Hung
    Last Activity
    09-04-2014 12:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had the surgery for plantar's fasciitis on both my feet, the left one I also had a ruptured achilles tendon and loose ankle (tore all the ligaments on the outside) they took my big toe tendon out and grafted it to my achilles tendon and shortened all the outside tendons as well as lengthening the plantar fascia, after the surgeries it has improved greatly. I am still doing pt exercises for the left foot as that surgery was just done this past January.

My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage! ~*Aunt Frances Owens*~

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlin
    Last Activity
    08-09-2015 01:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 405 Times
    Blog Entries

After years of it on and off in both feet, shots, therapy, orthodics, I had to have surgery too. Years of bad shoes, being on my feet all day and exercising on a mini trampoline barefoot. Getting rid of the weight may help some, but this is not a fat person problem. There are plenty of other foot issues that are from the weight, but not this.