Surgeon
    Dr. Sherman Smith
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Exclamation IF YOU WERE 300 lbs OR MORE AND WERE SLEEVED I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCE GOOD OR BAD!!!

So I met with a surgeon yesterday and he said that he would recommend gastric bypass for me vs the sleeve because he doesn't think I will lose enough weight with the sleeve. I currently weigh 354 lbs. I am really set on the sleeve because my husband and I plan to have one more baby in 4-5 years and the malabsorption issues and dumping syndrome worry me with bypass. I just feel uncomfortable with my anatomy being rearranged. At the same time, I do need something that will work for me. If you were more than 300 lbs and have been sleeved please tell me your experience. No matter how far into you are or whether you were successful or not it would really help me. Even those of you that know someone in this situation, much appreciated!! Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: IF YOU WERE 300 lbs OR MORE AND WERE SLEEVED I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCE GOOD OR BAD!!!

I was 306 on surgery day. My surgeon asked me what surgery I was looking for....I told him the sleeve and he said he agreed with me.

Here's my take....it's my body and my $$...if I had misgivings about having the bypass I wouldn't have it. I don't mean to sound harsh but it really is up to you.

I have had no problems that weren't my own stupid fault.....eating too fast, not getting protein and water in, eating too much. I don't regret it one bit.

Good luck in your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 89 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: IF YOU WERE 300 lbs OR MORE AND WERE SLEEVED I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCE GOOD OR BAD!!!

i just posted a bog a few days ago about my journey if u would like to read it.

Name
    Gail
    Surgery date
    12/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Madura
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I met with my surgeon last week and he said that I could get either surgery, but he said he does more of the by-pass surgeries. He also said that they have more long term data on the long term weight of the patients and if they kept their weight off. And with the sleeve being newer they do not have as much data on long term weight loss and the success of keeping it off. I had already decided on the sleeve before I went in to see my doctor due to I think it is just better for me. In the end your the only one who can make the decision for what is best for you. Good luck!!!!

Name
    Sam
    Surgery date
    10/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sherman Smith
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you to the 3 of you for your replies, I appreciate that input. gigi when are you getting your sleeve?

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    06/07/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 06:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 175 Times
    Was Thanked 291 Times in 272 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 250 Times

You should chose the surgery you would like to have. I chose the sleeve and had it done after my daughter n law had the bypass. She was over 300 pounds and is now under 200 pounds and only needs to lose another 20 pounds. In the middle of all this she ended up getting pregnant and did very well. She looks terrific and her bypass was no issue. I just wanted to let you know how it went. I chose the sleeve because I didn't want the altering of my digestive track but she did well. I now have a beautiful new grandson.

Name
    Gail
    Surgery date
    12/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Madura
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 12:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I don't have a surgery date as of yet I have to go through an 8 week "Change" program and meet with the NUT 2 more times and the psych 2 more times as well. At the end of the 8 weeks when I meet with the team again and they will decide if they will approve me to get the surgery, but I have to complete the classes, homework, and follow-up visits. I am hoping to have my surgery by November of December.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Grenaw
    Last Activity
    04-13-2014 05:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hi Gigi i am currently 323 pounds and have just started my journal, I have orientation tomorrow and I will be meeting with the doctor for a 2-3 hour meeting within the next two weeks. I am looking forward to getting the sleeve. Hoping that the doctors agree with my choice do to the fact that I do not wasnt to be off of work 6 weeks . Thanks for sharing.

Gastric Sleeve Member ShrinkingEvy's Avatar
    Name
    Jennifer
    Surgery date
    04/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Drake Bellanger
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 09:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Hi!

I'm Jennifer. I had VSG 16 months ago. My starting weight was 360. Today I am 207. I probably could have lost a little more by now but life gets hectic. I have 0 bad things to say about my experience. My recovery was rough but worth each and every moment. Of course you know that with this surgery they suggest you wait a certain amount of time post op before becoming pregnant. I did however accidentally become pregnant 9 months out. Ultimately the pregnancy was non viable BUT my surgeon assured me that it happens more often than people think. I went into my consultation thinking I wanted RNY but he really sat down and talked to me about MY situation and VSG and why he thought that it was a better fit for me. Ultimately only you can make the decision and he left it up to me. I've lost 153 lbs in 16 months post VSG. So yeah, I think that I made the right decision.

Name
    Lidia
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Barker/Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    01-23-2016 06:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 305 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 86 Times
    Blog Entries

I started my journey at 332. My surgeon wanted me to do the duodenal switch. Scarier still. He didn't push it though. He sd I was young and any surgery would take me as far as I was willing to take it ultimately. I will be 10 months out on the 15th and down to 190. Yeah baby! Just 5lbs from my surgeons goal and 25lbs from my personal goal. I am very pleased with where I am and every lb down at this point is just another yay! It's your decision to make.

Name
    Jon
    Surgery date
    07/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Uchal
    Last Activity
    11-15-2014 02:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 227 Times

I am a new sleever, but was at 450 to start. I've lost 48 pounds from the time I started the pre-op diet. 22 pounds since surgery 13 days ago.

Surgery date
    11/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Svendson
    Last Activity
    10-10-2013 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

i started at 287, i know, not over 300, but still.

I have lost almost 170 pounds in a short amount of time. I would do this again and again. Why? because it does not have the mal-absorption issues.

as for the myth that this is a new surgery, I would beg to differ. Many doctors do not understand that this surgery was being done for ulcer patients like myself for over 60 years. Doctors seen that a side effect was weight loss. They decided to study this and altered the surgery to take more tummy out for bariatrics. after some studies with few patience it was accepted into bariatrics and the insurance companies are now approving it also.

Many Docs go to the old standby of the RNY because they know the success rate. But I hate to be the debbie downer, but I have several friends ho have had the RNY and they are still heavy... one had by pass two years now...she isnt much different from photo, and one person had by pass 6 years ago and is still over 200. closer to 250. My aunt had it done and is still over 300
    fat.jpg

YOU make the decision that is right for you...its your body, not the doctors...

Gastric Sleeve Member Melissa222's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    03/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Allison
    Last Activity
    12-15-2015 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times
    Blog Entries

I went to the first meeting January 10th to learn about the 3 surgeries they offer and I was 340.8 exactly (I weighed myself right before I went incase I had write it on the paperwork). I went in thinking I wanted the lap band and left knowing I was going to get the sleeve after learning about it from the seminar and seeing 1 lady who came in to tell her story. I had surgery March 5th and as of this morning I was 229.7 so Ive lost 111 pounds. My goal is 160 and i'm hoping to get there by the end of the year.

Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Did you post this in another thread as well? It seems familiar. I was 416 at the start of this shindig. Things are much better now. You can read the gory details in my blog if curious.
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

Gastric Sleeve Member ScarlettO's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wasef Abujash
    Last Activity
    08-17-2014 09:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hi
    I was 442 lbs at my first weigh in. I am currently down to 292 lbs. and I am 7 months out. I exercise 6 days a week and behave myself with my food. My experience has been wonderful thus far. I do know that now that my stomach is healed it is more and more up to me to keep with what I have been taught by my body over the last 6 months or so. It is not a miracle cure, it is hard and difficult work, and you will have to change your life style.

My Surgeon actually only wanted to start with the sleeve as he said that it would get me started and be at least enough to get me healthier and IF I was not able to continue loosing on my own THEN I would be smaller and safer for the by pass. My clinic said that average weight loss with the sleeve even following basic rules is 200 lbs. I would think that would put you into an excellent weight goal all by itself....???

Good luck