Surgeon
    Dr. Loisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    08-29-2013 10:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Frustrated and I'm only 9 days out.

Yesterday I put in 650 calories and I thought I did a great job until I read that some people were only consuming 300 calories at this stage post sleeve. My carb intake, sodium, and fat intake is really low, and my protein and water intake is high. I've been eating organic soup, protein, and using my Nutribullet to blast fruits and spinach into a really liquid smoothie. My chocolate cravings subside when I throw in chocoloate protein. I even log in the calories for the vitamins....I'm finding it impossible to make just 300 calories a day! And to top it off I only lost a pound today. Am I rushing for results? Am I doing a horrible job with my nutrition? I started working out today (did 30min of Zumba, would've done more but I woke up late). Am I just being paranoid? Ugh, this feeling sucks.......or is this normal? Sorry for venting but, better out than in.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member PipperMarrow's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    04-30-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Frustrated and I'm only 9 days out.

300 Calories! That had to be a girl. I had my nut class today and they said to keep it between 400 to 600 calories a day at first. One pound a day would be a dream to me! I'm only going to weigh once a week as I don't want to get all crazy because I will I know I will. I wouldn't stress about it, 650 calories is not much at all. Hang in there!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Narasweet's Avatar
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    07/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Paul Dumbrell
    Last Activity
    07-10-2017 03:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 164 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey you have lost 20 lbs already, well done, sounds like you are doing just fine! Relaxxxxx we are each on our own journey, be happy with your progress!
    Christine. :-)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member realisreal's Avatar
    Name
    Hinah
    Surgery date
    06/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm now finding that a lot of people say to stay off the scale....ugh, I just feel like I'm not getting it when I see people posting that they can only eat 2 tablespoons of soup and they're full, and that they only consume 300 calories a day.....I eat/drink 1/2-1 cup of organic soup and I'm stuffed (way more than 2 tablespoons)........I'm confused. I don't know if I've stretched my pouch already?! I healed way faster than a lot of people (I bypassed the whole sore stomach/stitches/itchy stitches phase. I was able to lay on my stomach and on my sides from the second day after surgery, and no, my stitches didn't rip off. I can easily consume (and do) at least 75oz of water. I cut out Crystal Light because I fear it might hinder my progress. It's just SO frustrating! Thank you PipperMarrow, for the kind words.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member PipperMarrow's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    04-30-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

You are welcome! I'd say you are a good quick healer before thinking my pouch was too big! I hope to be so lucky! If I ever get approved! So, you are a head of me!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Hinah
    Surgery date
    06/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narasweet View Post
    Hey you have lost 20 lbs already, well done, sounds like you are doing just fine! Relaxxxxx we are each on our own journey, be happy with your progress!
    Thank you Christine. I think today's my "just being a drama queen" day...lol

Gastric Sleeve Member speedracer's Avatar
    Name
    Speedracer
    Surgery date
    02/18/2013
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I guess. You need to stay away from the scale for 14 days. Cut back on calories for the next 5-7 days, then slowly increase. Remember, do full liquids for 6 weeks,to FULLY get that jumpstart weight loss. Watch out for dairy, and sodium for 6 weeks to, they will stall your ass! Crystal light is bad for you, good job staying away from that fake junk!

Take it easy on yourself
    "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"-unknown
    What worked for you to lose weight, may not work for me and vice versa - Speedracer
    I may not agree with what your saying, but I respect your opinion, just as long as you equally respect mine- Speedracer
    "Adapt, or become extinct"- unknown
    I have come to the conclusion that some people just need to fail to learn- speedracer

Gastric Sleeve Member yourstrulycate's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

I had/have a lot of the same worries. I had an exceptional recovery and was eating/drinking more than what other people say they were...pretty much from the get-go. I had no problem consuming 600 calories at nine days out. I'm a month out now and I consume 900-1000 calories a day. I still have moments when I stress over it...but then I realized that when people normally go on a "diet", they limit their calorie consumption to 1200 calories a day, and I'm still under that....without dieting! The biggest thing to realize is that this is NOT A DIET. This is a lifestyle change and it WILL LAST! There's no "falling off the wagon", this is a permanent way of life now. Every single pound you lose is a pound gone forever.

And as far as the scale goes- I drove myself CRAZY weighing every day (sometimes even twice a day) the first couple of weeks, and then I realized that I had a toxic relationship with the number on the scale and I vowed to only weigh once per week. I still struggle with that, as my curiosity gets the better of me sometimes, but it's step in the right direction (to move away from the scale). I find comfort in looking for Non Scale Related Victories...such as looser fitting clothing, being able to do an extra two minutes on the elliptical, etc.

I also like to get out my frustrations by VENTING on here! It's a great release, but also remember that you CAN'T COMPARE YOUR JOURNEY WITH ANYBODY ELSE! Their journey is theirs, your journey is yours! Some people will lose 1lb a week, while another will lose 5. It is what it is. Be okay with that!

BTW...I also healed extremely fast. I was sleeping on my stomach by the second day as well. I never did have any pain/discomfort/throwing up, etc. I still don't know if that was a blessing or a curse

Gastric Sleeve Member Lulu mama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2013
    Surgeon
    dr. lalor
    Last Activity
    08-31-2013 05:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I am too on my 9th day, we had our surgeries on the same day! yay we're surgery twins, lol. I feel the same way though! I feel like I am able to eat a little more then i'm suppose to now. I'm on full liquids, once in awhile I sneak a bit of pureed or really soft potatoes, but I can only handle a few bites. I'm afraid of stretching out my sleeve too fast too! I have been drinking crystal light but I agree I don't think it's very good for you. Honestly, plain water is really hard to get down! For some reason it's like swallowing a rock. Not sure what's up with that. I know it's best, but eating soup for the next 5 weeks sounds kinda horrible.

*Highest Weight - 254 (two months before pre-op liquid diet) (3-25-13)
    *Pre-op liquid diet weight - 234 (5-27-13)
    *Surgery Date - 231 (6-11-13)
    *Current weight - 215 (6-25-13)
    *First goal - 199 (7-24-13)
    Second goal - 180 (8 years since i've been this weight, I had lost 60lbs that year)
    Third goal - 160
    Final goal - 140 (since high school..we'll see!)

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

The difference between what one person can consume and another is largely down to the swelling of the recently operated tummy. You don't see it, but regardless it's happening and highly individual.
    Beware of having your calorific intake too low - it may trigger a survival response in the body to hang on to every fat cell in preparation for what it perceives is a famine and imminent starvation. It protects you from certain death from lack of nutrition.
    Consume protein, keep hydrated and aim for plenty of fibre where you can (Benefibre, if you need it) and forget the rest. It will all into place and makes less of an impact. I'm full bottle on this subject as I've just had an hour with my Dietitian to day and had my crazy thinking put back into its box.
    Take it easy on the exercise for the next week or so..... This is a long haul thing and being quick of the starting blocks doesn't guarantee success.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammabear's Avatar
    Name
    Paula
    Surgery date
    05/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zane Prewitt
    Last Activity
    06-25-2019 07:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Think about this, how many calories were you consuming before the surgery compared to now? You're losing weight. Don't stress.

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

I think you are doing wonderful!! I know it is hard to stay away from the scale... I struggle with that myself. The only reason I have not weighed myself for 6 days is because I wasn't home for 6 days. It's a hang-up that I know I have.

Remember that liquids will move through your sleeve much easier than solids. Make sure you are recognizing when you are satisfied and stop eating there.

I pray each day to have a recovery like yours

Name
    Hinah
    Surgery date
    06/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah. I stepped on the scale again this morning.....it's a habit I just tried to break (brought my scale to work and left it in my assistant's office). I cheated yesterday out of frustration but I woke up on the better side of the bed today. I did my "You Are Your Own Gym" workout today (pretty awesome) and I preplanned my meals with calorie intake in mind (and working out). Bright side is that I lost another pound today Now I'll move away from the scale. Oh, and the fit of my clothes are evidence enough for me now!

Surgery date
    06/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.d.davey
    Last Activity
    03-26-2014 12:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

Please don't worry about anyone else. And remember 300 calories is way too low to be producing a functioning life. I can't imagine having any energy at that amount of calories. Just living burns calories. Only nine days out and you are doing great. I try to only note my one week weight that is official but I too weigh myself every day. I think one pound a day is a marvellous thing when pre surgery I would stall for days and even weeks. Remember you are in this for the long haul. Good luck!

Start weight 274
    Highest weight ? 298
    Height 5'4 1/2" (that half inch is important)
    Bmi start 46.3
    Bmi now 38.5
    First goal under 200 yahoo! Sept 30/13 198lbs
    Second goal. bmi under 29= 171lbs
    Third goal bmi under 25 = 147lbs. final GOAL!!

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Hinah
    Surgery date
    06/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Loisiana Valenzuela
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nursenad View Post
    Please don't worry about anyone else. And remember 300 calories is way too low to be producing a functioning life. I can't imagine having any energy at that amount of calories. Just living burns calories. Only nine days out and you are doing great. I try to only note my one week weight that is official but I too weigh myself every day. I think one pound a day is a marvellous thing when pre surgery I would stall for days and even weeks. Remember you are in this for the long haul. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I really do appreciate the feedback and I will make sure to focus on me. You keep up the great work with your weight loss too!

22. Said thanks: