Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    11-26-2015 07:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 536 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Why is it called a 'pouch'?

Searched around and have been reading a lot. I notice everyone refers to their stomach as a 'pouch' after the surgery. I realize its a lots smaller than it was, but to me it seems to signify that it no longer functions as it used to. (I understand the change in Ghrelin levels)

For example, talk about avoiding foods that are hard to break down. Does that mean that the new pouch doesn't have the same ability to break down foods that it did?

And.. whats this I read about chewing very well or food can get 'stuck'. I assumed that the input / output 'holes' to the pouch were still the same size the only thing that I thought changed was the capacity. Or does 'getting stuck' refer to something else that occurs within the pouch.

Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, if so please just point me to the link. I have searched a bit and haven't found an answer so far.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is it called a 'pouch'?

I've not really heard people talking about a pouch in relation to gastric sleeve - that's a term usually used in relation to bypass, where they don't remove the stomach but they create a pouch at the top, and then re-route digestion from there directly to the lower intestine. Occasionally people on here refer to the 5 day pouch test but that's just because it was first developed/used by bypass patients.

Most people here talk about their small tummy or new tummy or baby stomach or something like that, if anything.

Re things getting stuck - that's mostly something I experienced in early stages of post-recovery when your stomach is swollen and still getting used to having food again. You do need to chew well when you're transitioning to solids - the stomach is sensitive for quite some time post surgery. From a number of months down the track I've not had any problems with stuff getting stuck - just very full quickly, or sometimes some food feeling that it's sitting oddly or heavily in my stomach.

Some people do have strictures as a complication surgery, where there can be a narrowing at some point which makes it difficult to swallow food into the stomach. I understand it's most common with people who've had scarring due to GERD or similar.

Hope this helps.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't call it a pouch, and have not heard too many sleeve people refer to it that way...I agree, technically a pouch is for bypass patients.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lmd2070 View Post

And.. whats this I read about chewing very well or food can get 'stuck'. I assumed that the input / output 'holes' to the pouch were still the same size the only thing that I thought changed was the capacity. Or does 'getting stuck' refer to something else that occurs within the pouch.
    No, the opening that leads in to the new tinier stomach is not the same size at all...a long sleeve is cut off the stomach from end to end, and the opening at the top is smaller after the cutting and stitching. You have to chew thoroughly or take smaller bites because food can get lodged. its not permanent or dangerous for the most part, but it is VERY uncomfortable. we learn to deal with it....every person is different, many cannot ever eat anything without it being pulverized to nothing before swallowing, others like me, do fine as long as it's chewed into small pieces.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LisaI View Post
    " ....many cannot ever eat anything without it being pulverized to nothing before swallowing, others like me, do fine as long as it's chewed into small pieces.
    Are you serious... some people NEVER? Not sure that is something I would be willing to accept as a possible side effect. More reading to do... grrrr

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LosingMissLisa's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    04/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Steiner
    Last Activity
    02-01-2014 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I think most rny patients call it a pouch because thats what they create....a small pouch. However sleeve patients such as myself refer to it as a sleeve because that is what is created for us. The opening is much smaller so if your food is too large it won't fit thru the opening....this is what they mean when they say 'stuck' and why you have to chew your food thoroughly. I don't think its the normal outcome to not be able to ever eat solid food, but it can happen. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor tho! Also, the stomach does still have the same ability to break down foods as it normally would. The main difference is that it just simply fills up faster so that it controls how much you can eat at a time. Of course there are other factors, like what you should eat.....like it is always protein first because you need protein and its the only thing you can't get in vitamin form.

10. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

No information that I've ever been given suggests that the opening from the oesophagus into the stomach is smaller. All of the diagrams etc that I've been shown or seen show that the stomach is cut off from the side where the stomach swells into a balloon.

Happy to be corrected but can either of you provide a reference to some information suggesting that the opening to the stomach becomes smaller?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Roxanne Heitkamp
    Surgery date
    07/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alberto Aceves
    Last Activity
    07-28-2013 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

I've seen the drawings of the surgery and don't see where they touch the esophogeal/stomach opening.

Surgery date
    01/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Found the document I was reading that caused me to post the original question, It has nothing to do with hospital I am dealing with, was just googling for info and found this lengthy guide. (I can' post URL cause it says I need to do 15 posts before url's are allowed.) However the doc is on peachtreebariatrics.com and its the Gastric Sleeve Patient Manual.

Here they call it a stomach pouch and on page 25 it mentions "Baked, broiled, barbecued chicken (without skin), turkey, fish, shellfish. REMINDER:
    Chew, chew, chew so that they can pass through small stomach opening."

Which lead me to believe that something was done to openings. I know you can't believe everything you read on the net, but considering it was from a medical facility it did bother me a bit. Probably just poor wording... which is why I was asking here for clarification. If I read something elsewhere again that doesn't sit well with me, I will put URL in my post so you all can see what I mean right away.