Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Anyone else find this hard?

My family is in the kitchen eating pizza. I'm hiding out in my bedroom because I don't want to watch! But I can smell it. I don't even really care for pizza, it's just that I've been on this diet thing for over 2 months, and I know I can't have it. I'd really like to disappear to an island somewhere where everyone else has to eat like I do, so I don't have to watch them eat pizza, hamburgers, spaghetti, roast beef and potatoes, etc...

I'm hiding out sipping my way too sweet protein drink. Sigh...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Domkowski
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Default Re: Anyone else find this hard?

Have you already had your sleeve done?

Gastric Sleeve Member DisneyDee's Avatar
    Name
    Delinda
    Surgery date
    05/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay Suggs
    Last Activity
    10-08-2014 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

It is tough and we have to really be dedicated to lose. Food never smelled so good.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Nope. My surgery date isn't set yet, but I have to show a loss each month.

Gastric Sleeve Member lenharder's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my sleeve three days ago and I jumped my 24 year old nephew support person for dragging a large supreme pizza in front of me last night, some people have no consideration, I can't eat solids and food still smells good, but my appetite is diminished. I told him even though he probably needed this surgery more than I as he is about 30lbs heavier, and that I know he has to eat, but also to be mindful of me and what I am going thru and eat out of the room at the hotel restaurant and not bring it back here, cause I can't handle the smell right now. So tonight he goes down and eats at the restaurant and brings back a plate of rolls and croissants, and I said what are you doing.....he said what? Then he said There is no smell in these rolls that's why I brought them up.....I swear you can't fix stupid....

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

My family and friends are the same way, completely unsupportive most of the time and trying to convince me that 1 beer won't hurt, oh come on make it 2, might as well have it now! Hey come out to lunch with me, come on over for a BBQ, will you make me your famous chkn pot pie? We still have to eat you know. Etc... etc... etc... At this point I don't want to be around any of them. How hard is it to understand that I have medical issues, I don't want to end up diabetic, and I sleep on a damn machine at night? The insensitivity is seriously getting on my nerves. It's almost as if they're afraid of me dropping the weight.

Gastric Sleeve Member Narasweet's Avatar
    Name
    Christine
    Surgery date
    07/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Paul Dumbrell
    Last Activity
    07-10-2017 03:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 164 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes!! I have been dieting since april and while I am proud of my efforts and know prep is really important, I often feel tired, have headaches etc., I wonder whether there are toxins in the fat I am burning? I am diabetic and gluten intolerant which adds challenges.

I know or hope it will improve but some days are just a matter of dragging myself around trying to stay focussed and positive.....33 days to go until my op.
    Christine. :-)

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    04-18-2015 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 419 Times in 405 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,435 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
    My family and friends are the same way, completely unsupportive most of the time and trying to convince me that 1 beer won't hurt, oh come on make it 2, might as well have it now! Hey come out to lunch with me, come on over for a BBQ, will you make me your famous chkn pot pie? We still have to eat you know. Etc... etc... etc... At this point I don't want to be around any of them. How hard is it to understand that I have medical issues, I don't want to end up diabetic, and I sleep on a damn machine at night? The insensitivity is seriously getting on my nerves. It's almost as if they're afraid of me dropping the weight.
    They may BE afraid of you changing, change, even positive change is hard for many people. I would try to encourage them for your support so you can eat as a family and enjoy that one bit of time where everyone gets together. In that respect, I am glad I live alone and that its an hour drive round trip to the store. I am trying so hard to not bring stuff I should not eat in the house.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ThruThickNThin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pfluke
    Last Activity
    08-20-2013 07:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Girl, this is only the beginning.and a big test for you mentally.i have been sleeved almost 6 months now and I have been on boat cruises, vacations, not to mention it's summertime now...the days are longer.Bbq's people are eating later in the evening etc etc...Once you get your sleeve you are gonna be feeling and looking fabulous.You can't change the world around you. You are looking at this from a negative point of view. Turn it around and see how you can make it positive.Excuse my frankness but you are gonna need some thick skin to get though this mentally. Instead of boo hooing cause some one is eating something you know is not healthy for you and would block you from you having a successful surgery.Tell yourself this is the beginning stages of a healthier you and no one and nothing is gonna keep me from my goal! Yeah I had friends coming out of the woodwork with Mac n cheese.wanting to go out to lunch all the time. Saying the surgery was too risky...I am skinnier than all of them now. I exercise every other day. I found things I like to do besides eat. My hubby likes my smaller curves ALOT! This far out I can eat pizza but now that I had the sleeve.i eat the thin cracker crust and just I slice will do it for me. I am not denying myself any thing, but my portions are way smaller and I don't eat it everyday. Get with a support group to help you deal with these issues because for me co-workers were still going out and eating big meals.I am no longer big so I am more socially out going. While others are ordering "drinks"I get a glass of water and squeeze my crystal light liquid in it and keep it moving. I have a soup or chicken quesadilla to go eat a few bites and close the box. I just saved a few coins to go shopping at clothing stores I couldn't shop at before. Get your mind right and you will got out of this journey what you want.You may have to drop a few sabotaging friends along the way but you'll also find out who you true friends are. And I found some people just like to cook and eat and are not on the same page as what I am trying to do so they just stopped coming around. Your family is totally different. You can't exclude them. But I found that if when I told them how important it was for me to feel better, and get healthier so I could be around to see my grand kids grow up and play with them without getting winded, they made a conscious effort to support me.it shouldn't be you against them at home and in your space where you should feel most comfortable. Incorporate them in your journey by introducing foods into your home that are healthy and are fun to make and taste good too.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any chance you can 'cut them off at the pass'...? If usual dinner is at 6pm, start making a healthy dinner for EVERYONE at 4pm. Make lots of healthy snacks, stick in em fridge and hide the junk,or regulate it. This is for you,and only you can make it happen.

Friends want you to go out for dinner and drinks? Say no, just to prevent the situation. If theyre STILL pushing, think of a polite way to tell them to back off,and support you. Let them know how serious you are~you are as important as they are,and your 'requirements' are valid too!

17. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Yep, some days I am positive and gungho- other days are harder! lol My husband alternates on being supportive and sabotaging. It isn't me who brings the pizza, chips, and soda in the house. Most days I can deal fine, other days are harder and I want that crap out of the house, but it isn't just me who lives here so I know I need to understand that.

Today is a good day though- I stepped on the scale this morning and have dropped another 7 pounds. Those kinds of losses motivate me like nothing else!

And yes, maybe they really are afraid of me changing. I'm still me though, I just need a different lifestyle. Right now I can't participate in the things I used to do. It's way too tempting. And I don't want to go out to lunch with you to watch you eat while I crunch on my carrots at this point. I used to be the one holding the dinners and get togethers at my house. Hmmm... maybe I should still do that, only with trays of fruits and veggies, unsweetened tea and lemon or cucumber water.

Thanks for the support and wise words! And thank you ThruThickNthin for the kick in the pants!

Gastric Sleeve Member ThruThickNThin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Pfluke
    Last Activity
    08-20-2013 07:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

These forums helped me when I first started too. It's all love. ))

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I figured that this was my problem to deal with. Nobody made me have the surgery (or made me get fat in the first place), so why should they change around me.

My husband offered not to have certain foods in front of me both before and after surgery, but I told him to eat as normal and if I needed to move away then I would. A couple of times he had food I loved the smell of and found it a bit of a challenge. I went and had a shower or bath at that time - the smell of shower gel or bath foam neutralised the food smells. I also always had my 'meals' before or at the same time so i wasn't hungry while he was having his food.

Really - part of the problem with getting overweight is failure to take responsibility for ourselves. The excuses such as "I was doing so well, but then someone brought cake into work", "but it was a special occasion - it would have been rude not to have three courses like everyone else", "I'd planned my healthy meal, but then hubby and kids wanted pizza" etc etc. The sleeve will help you definitely to handle these situations better with not overeating - but ultimately there are still choices to be made and you have you to decide that it's your responsibility.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Quote Originally Posted by niamh View Post
    I figured that this was my problem to deal with. Nobody made me have the surgery (or made me get fat in the first place), so why should they change around me.

My husband offered not to have certain foods in front of me both before and after surgery, but I told him to eat as normal and if I needed to move away then I would. A couple of times he had food I loved the smell of and found it a bit of a challenge. I went and had a shower or bath at that time - the smell of shower gel or bath foam neutralised the food smells. I also always had my 'meals' before or at the same time so i wasn't hungry while he was having his food.

Really - part of the problem with getting overweight is failure to take responsibility for ourselves. The excuses such as "I was doing so well, but then someone brought cake into work", "but it was a special occasion - it would have been rude not to have three courses like everyone else", "I'd planned my healthy meal, but then hubby and kids wanted pizza" etc etc. The sleeve will help you definitely to handle these situations better with not overeating - but ultimately there are still choices to be made and you have you to decide that it's your responsibility.
    This was my approach as well. I didn't expect anyone to NOT eat normally around me, it was my life change not theirs. Sure I have difficult days, but I had difficult days before surgery as well.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Gastric Sleeve Member Harley Granny's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Surgery date
    05/29/2013
    Surgeon
    Jawad
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 324 Times in 312 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 607 Times
    Blog Entries

I feel for you...I really do but I approached this the same way I did when I quit smoking. I knew I was going to be around people who smoked so I didn't shield myself from smokers.

Just as in this journey, I have not sheilded myself from the good stuff. Just on Friday I stopped by Burger King to get my husband his beloved whopper and onion rings. dang those things smelled good! But I was also very proud of myself and more resolved than ever when I realized I resisted temptation.

You can do this!