07/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Frezel
    Last Activity
    10-14-2013 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default Has anyone had the sleeve and had to go back and get the bypass ???

So as I sit here scared that I wont succeed I think should I have just gone for the bypass ? My BIG problem is success . I am scared that I wont succeed and look fabulous like other people . So is there anyone who has gone back and done the bypass ? Oh yeah they submitted yesterday for sleeve.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ann Rogers
    Last Activity
    03-21-2014 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone had the sleeve and had to go back and get the bypass ???

I think when it comes right down to it, it's not a matter of what surgery you have, it's a matter of what YOU do with it!!

You can read all over this site about this surgery being a "tool". That's exactly what it is, no more, no less. It's all about you and how you control your food intake and maintain your program.

This is a life long commitment. It doesn't grow back!! Bypass can be reversed, but it could bring more complications with it.

But before you have anything done, do some more research. It sounds like you are not really sure that the sleeve is right for you. If that is the case, why start out with a negative connotation from the onset?

Statistics show that sleeve patients are having just as good of a success rate as bypass patients. One of the only differences is that with the bypass the weight seems to come off a little quicker, but overall weight loss percentages are about the same.

I chose the sleeve for several factors. One, it keeps your normal plumbing in tact. I just had a mental problem with the bypass itself. Two, because of the normal plumbing, the malabsorption issues are not as big of a factor. The other thing I liked is that the hormone that tells the brain that you are hungry, ghrelin, is generated in the stomach. With 80% of your stomach gone, it produces a lot less.

Whatever you choose, please make sure you have thought things through and are comfortable with your decision. Remember, only you can make your weight loss journey a success. There is no magic pill.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Domkowski
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Its all mental. The sleeve is actually pretty much the same thing as the bypass but much safer. You got to understand that the weight loss surgery is a tool to help you lose weight. You got to put your work into it to for it to be a complete success. As long as u commit yourself, you will be successful. Trust me, the sleeve is the way to go.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member speedracer's Avatar
    Name
    Speedracer
    Surgery date
    02/18/2013
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Excellent question though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"-unknown
    What worked for you to lose weight, may not work for me and vice versa - Speedracer
    I may not agree with what your saying, but I respect your opinion, just as long as you equally respect mine- Speedracer
    "Adapt, or become extinct"- unknown
    I have come to the conclusion that some people just need to fail to learn- speedracer

Name
    Wanda ( B.K.A) Wandy
    Surgery date
    03/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-17-2016 08:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

It a mind game. If you set ur mine to it you will succeed. I have succeeded but my bf failed. So the card is in ur hands to make it work. I am still not at my goal weight. But in a few weeks I will be. I am grateful and thankful to God for this blessing. Set ur mind and u will be the next success story here on the forum. I agree with the other two comments. Good luck and Blessings.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member valdonlon's Avatar
    Name
    Valerie
    Surgery date
    07/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Angstadt
    Last Activity
    11-14-2013 11:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 85 Times
    Blog Entries

IT is a good question. Everything I have researched has shown me that the only revision surgeries have been from the band to sleeve or band to bypass. The band sucks LOL. Plain and simple! I personally have NOT heard the sleeve not work. I have heard the bypass eventually not working, so they are banded usually. You can still gain weight with the sleeve, but not to the extent of some bypass patients. These patients have gained some or all of their weight back after 5 or more years. The sleeve not so much. That being said, the sleeve hasn't been around as long so who knows what the answers really are. Good luck in your quest for a straight answer. Not sure if I answered it. LOL

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Gastric Sleeve Member ponychic77's Avatar
    Name
    Sugar Britches
    Surgery date
    07/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Frezel
    Last Activity
    10-14-2013 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I thank all of you for your support, comments and things to think about . I am ready. I have battled my weight all my life and failed at that, so it just raises concerns with me . I have a great husband who is behind me 1000 % . I think I will make it Thanks again

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Myron Powell
    Last Activity
    11-03-2013 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,306 Times

It is not uncommon that a severely morbidly obese person have the sleeve first, to enable him/her to lose enough weight so it is safer to then have a by-pass bariatric surgery. That suggests that a gastric sleeve patient can then have a revision to a bypass. However, prior posters are correct, it is a mind set because it is a lifelong change. There have been sleeve patients and bypass patients who have regained the weight. The surgery is a tool to help us succeed.

About your uncertainty....first you are not alone. I went through the same process. I'm sure others did also. Until you are in the OR you can change your mind. OK--your surgeon and insurance company may not be happy about it but they can accommodate you. It is your body and your health. You've already made the biggest decision which is to have bariatric surgery. The good news is that any decision you make, will be the right one.

Gastric Sleeve Member christinae85's Avatar
    Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    09/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Peterson
    Last Activity
    10-06-2017 04:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

AnnieT is correct. The VSG was originally designed as a first step to Bypass for the reason she stated, so it's been around for 10yrs+. It should be stressed that generally speaking Bypass is reserved for the morbidly obese. VSG has been regarded as widely successful with people with a lower BMI than those requiring Bypass. The biggest differences you should be looking at are complication rates, recovery, & maintenance. I would compare/contrast those topics & decide what you can live a happy life with. Most would go with VSG, as the rising number of people getting the procedure indicates, but it all depends on how much you need to lose & what you're comfortable with. Good luck with whatever path you choose & take care!

Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ann Rogers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Actually Annie and Christina, I believe the VSG is the first step in a two part procedure with part two being a DS, or Duodenal Switch. In the DS, the output of the stomach is connected directly to a section of the small intestine farther down the intestine than even the RNY Bypass does. The idea is that it separates the food from most of the digestive juices to actually promote malabsorption. This is supposed to provide the most significant weight loss of all of the procedures.

I personally like keeping my plumbing intact. I can work with the smaller amounts of food I can eat with the sleeve and manage my weight loss with a combination of the small amounts and making those small amounts the right kind of foods.

Just FYI.

Surgery date
    05/01/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ann Rogers
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Also, just to clarify, I don't mean to say that Annie and Christina are wrong. The VSG certainly CAN BE modified to a RNY bypass if desired. Sorry if I gave the wrong information.