Dr. Jon Bruce
    Last Activity
    02-02-2015 12:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times
    Blog Entries

Default &%$(*^% sleep study!

Well.....I went to my sleep study on Friday night. When I checked in, I reminded them that I had reserved an oceanfront, King room. They didn't have it, so I told them I'd settle for the oceanview. lol So what if I am landlocked here.....I can ask, right?

Ok, so as you can see, I'm not that happy with my sleep study from Friday night. As if it's not difficult enough to TRY and sleep with electrodes and wires all over you, not to mention looking like a futuristic robot with leads on every inch of you head (and the glue? really?)..... When I finally doze off, they come in a couple of hours later and put me on the dreaded CPAP. Apparently, I "needed" it at that time. WHY? I was perfectly happy in my dreamland......which took a bit of navigating to find with all that mess on me!. Ok, so I have sinus issues. Is that any reason to mess with me? Even after that, I had the worst sleep in my life! THAT is not an improvement. Here it is over 48 hours later and I STILL have a headache from it!. I am so hoping that they do not insist that I go on that "thing" in order to have this surgery. I see my surgeon tomorrow for the first time, and with ALL of my pre-op testing done. YAY! Fortunately, or unfortunately (not sure yet), he's also a certified sleep doctor too. Not sure if this will go in my favor or not. Say a prayer for me......... I'm getting a little frustrated with all of the test, expense and time off of work just to get to this point. If they make me have that Endoscopy, I'll be depressed as heck. It's same day surgery (taking a day off work, $$$$$$$) AND he only does it at the his base hospital an hour away. I'll have to have someone take me and bring me home since I'll have anesthesia. Not crossing that bridge yet. I want to got in there tomorrow with a clear idea that everything that is needed is done and start the insurance process!!!!! wish me luck!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: &%$(*^% sleep study!

Don't feel bad the sleep study usually sucks big time. I had one in 2007 and OMG that was a joke IMO. Like you said electrodes and glue on your head and all over in weird places like I had on one my leg (no idea why) but I could recite the conversation the women doing the study were having ALL NIGHT long but still they decided that I had been sleeping according to their equipment and that I needed the CPAP which made things worse and then I had to drive home an hour after no sleep. Then they tell me I was loosing 4% of my o2 while asleep so I was going to need a CPAP. Yeah that lasted about 3 nights and i said uh NO. Luckily I dont have any reason to think i have sleep apnea anymore. I hope things go well for you dont get too frustrated we all seem to have a hurdle we have to get over and this looks like it might be yours. Dont over-think and work yourself up just ask your questions when you see your surgeon and find out these things so you wont stress over them. Best wishes.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

Gastric Sleeve Member hourglassSmith's Avatar
    Name
    Leslie
    Surgery date
    07/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Timothy Ehrlich
    Last Activity
    02-06-2014 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

an oceanfront king room? where the heck was your sleep study? i wore a thing on my head in my own bed, for one night and then returned it to my doctor. yours sounds way better than mine.

yes, the process is long and sometimes tedious, but keep your eye on the prize. We ALL had to do it, suck it up babe lol

good luck!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Mscheveous's Avatar
    Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    04/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Keith Gersin
    Last Activity
    05-10-2015 09:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 105 Times
    Blog Entries

I was able to do an at home one with a tiny little thing taped to my finger and a little machine strapped to my abdomen. I already knew I didn't have it so..*shrug*

Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    05/24/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    02-02-2015 06:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I'm self-pay, so I didn't have to jump through that hoop, but I did do a 2 night sleep study several years ago. It sucked out loud!

It was in a hospital-type building with no sound-proofing anywhere. My room shared a hall with the hallway, so I could hear every person wandering the corridors. GRR. I could hear the nurses interacting with other poor subjects in the adjoining "suites." GRR. They woke me up the first night to put me on the CPAP because I stopped breathing for a few seconds ONCE during the 2 hours or so that I actually got to sleep. GRRRRR. The CPAP prevented any further sleep that night. The 2nd night they started me out with the CPAP to see how I did. Yeah, I got about 3 hours sleep that night, and ended up with dried out sinuses and a raging headache. Needless to say, I didn't take the CPAP RX that they wanted me to have. Let's not even talk about the goo in the hair. I'm trying to forget THAT ever happened!

What little apnea I have is obstructional, and only an issue when I'm "chunkeh." WHICH shouldn't be for too much longer, since I'm getting sleeved on Friday!

As an aside, it doesn't surprise me at all that insurance companies are paying out tens of thousands, even over $100K for sleeve surgery, if sleep studies, EKGs, months of psychological evaluation and nutritional counseling, upper GIs, lower GIs, etc are "required" with some of these hospitals' bariatric programs... One of the programs in our area is $38K, just for the hospital's part. That doesn't include the surgeon(s), anesthesiologist, etc. At what point does CYA end and blatant bill padding begin?
    Gothikim
    AKA Kim
    If not now, when?

1st goal: Onederland CHECK!
    2nd goal: shopping in the Misses department CHECK!
    3rd goal: "overweight" BMI (169) CHECK!
    4th goal: weight when I met my hubs (150) CHECK!
    5th goal: "normal" BMI(140) CHECK!
    6th goal: 120
    CHECK!

114 lbs down, and at goal!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents