Surgeon
    Dr. Kothari
    Last Activity
    01-31-2014 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Smile Gastric Sleeve to treat gastroparesis (not weight loss)

Good evening all! I have a few questions for anyone who has had "gastric sleeve" surgery. I have been scheduled to have it done on May 31st. I have a severe case of gastroparesis and my surgeon says that this will help. What can I expect after the surgery? What is good for the liquid diet now? How many days was the hospital stay? Is there anything put on your (around) your stomach to help support it after surgery? I know I should ask my doctor these and I will. Thanks in advance for any information! Barb

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    05/16/2013
    Last Activity
    02-07-2014 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 178 Times

Default Re: Gastric Sleeve to treat gastroparesis (not weight loss)

Hi Barb! If I might ask, what is your current weight/height or BMI? The food ideas given to gastric sleevers are geared toward weight loss, so if you're already a normal weight or underweight they may want you to calorie pack vs. restrict. The hospital stay seems to vary between overnight up to 3 days. If you are getting the surgery done laparoscopically, there is no abdominal binder necessary. I'm not sure if they use one or not with open surgery.

Are you on a liquid diet pre-op? With gastroparesis I'm sure your diet is pretty limited to start with. For clear liquids I've been using chicken broth, sugar free (SF) jell-o, and water (usually with flavoring such as Crystal Lite). Full liquids is more lenient, with things like pudding, yogurt, and protein shakes. Let us know your parameters and we may be able to provide a more helpful response.

I hope the surgery helps with the gastroparesis.

Gastric Sleeve Member mswirenut's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kothari
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Ducky,
    I am 5'7 and 164lbs. I was told that my BMI is nothing I have nothing extra (according to what the nurse said) Surgery is scheduled to be laparoscopically, My diet is really limited I do force myself to eat more then 3-4 bites. The nausea is HORRIBLE so I take medicine to help take the edge off. I have been getting extra protein (New Whey) I appreciate any and all information that I am given. Thank you!!

Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    05/16/2013
    Last Activity
    02-07-2014 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 178 Times

Barb,

At your weight, and with your medical condition, they may want you to calorie pack. More than that, I'm guessing the gastroparesis handles some foods better than others. Whereas our doctors have many of us on low-carb and low-fat protein supplements, they may want you on something like Ensure (actual meal replacement, high calorie, designed to maintain/increase weight), or other dense fluids.

This site is a good resource to touch base with people who have had the same physiological procedure, but if I were you I would take any nutritional advice or opinions/reactions to foods with a large grain of salt -- people who are having a gastric sleeve for weight loss are on a dramatically different diet with a VERY different goal. I hope you continue to touch base if you find it helpful, just be careful not to slip into 'weight loss' habits. Healthy eating is good, but you don't need weight loss. If anything, you're probably malnourished with the gastroparesis.

Name
    Holly
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Cuningham
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 260 Times

Yes I HAD gastroparesis yes it did fix it at least for me , u will notice a difference I was in an out when I had gastroparesis now no problems the food doesn't sit in you stomach it can't if you want to ask anything I would love to help, I understand what you have been through

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member mswirenut's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kothari
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Holly, thank you so very much! It was a huge relief to see that someone has gone through what I am...not that it is good to go through it...please don't take it the wrong way! I have been praying that this will help, I have been told that it is rare to treat GP with it and mine is severe...my stomach doesn't want to work at all. I have no appetite, and the nausea is still there (my medicine takes the edge off of it) How long was your hospital stay? I am on a soft food diet now and force myself to eat more than 3-4 bites, eventually my surgeon said he wants me to eat more and stretch my stomach back out. I am just sick and tire of being sick and tired if that is possible. How long ago did you have your gastric sleeve done? Just seems like next Friday is taking forever to get here. I am first on the roster for surgery so I have to be there at 5:30 a.m. surgery at 7:30 a.m. Again thank you so very much! Support is a great thing! My husband is amazing but don't know the pain I go through. Hugs from Iowa!!

Name
    Holly
    Surgery date
    06/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Cuningham
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 96 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 260 Times

I had my VGS on June 6 2012 so it will be a year in a few weeks, I have a great hubby very supportive in anything I do. The VGS is being used for treatment for gastroparesis ,and type 1 diabetics as well. I was in the hospital 2 days then home, I will pray for you but have faith and Friday will be here soon enough just have to say it and make it so, positive it will work