04/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    07-05-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Default 7 Days Post Op - w bad breath and a back ache plus Liquid Diet woes!!

Hello all,
    Well today marks the 7th day...One week ago today I left half my tummy at the hospital...lol

Been doing pretty good for the most part but have a couple of questions?

1. Did any of you experience this constant yucky taste in your mouth? - Does it go away. Tic Tacs help me - but gosh its gross.

2. Mid to upper back ache. May be because I am mainly sleeping on my back...but if I am up and doing around the house...here comes the back ache. I've been putting a heating pad on...but man I am really impatient to feel as I did before surgery.

This liquid diet is really starting to get to me for sure. Sometimes at night I just want to gag on those protein shakes..I think I'm tired of drinking everything.

What kinds of things did you all eat during your first 2 weeks post op? Maybe there is something I didn't think of yet. I was thinking today of making Campbells tomato soup? Anyone ever eat that?

So far my menu consists of Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt - sugar free jello - sugar free pudding and popcicles - broth ( I bought Chinese soup broth for 1.00 up the road and Cambells Vegetable Beef Strained broth...but that is about it - well besides the protein shakes.

Do you all think the funny taste in my mouth is from all the sugar free stuff I'm eating? - And maybe I'll go and get some pre-made shakes today maybe in a strawberry or another flavor? All I have is vanilla and chocolate peanut butter.

Suggestions would be great - thanks

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiMarco
    Last Activity
    03-06-2014 03:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 7 Days Post Op - w bad breath and a back ache plus Liquid Diet woes!!

Yes, the bad breath will go away. Have your Doc check your gall bladder, many times after the sleeve it needs to come out, that could be causing your pain and discomfort. Congrats on making it to the sleeved slide, you will not regret it but it also has it challenges.

Name
    Luke Stark
    Surgery date
    03/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-17-2015 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 278 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 7 Days Post Op - w bad breath and a back ache plus Liquid Diet woes!!

Is the backache similar to when you have a flu? Lots of people experience flu-like aches, pains and fevers post-op. You should mention it to your doctor though, as it could be serious and it's better to catch it early if it is. My backache was worse after sleeping and it was caused by internal bleeding 10 days post-op. Almost certainly that isn't your problem, but it's better to have them check it.
    <hr/>
    Bored? Luke's Blog is only happy thoughts. Join me!

Gastric Sleeve Member finallyfree's Avatar
    Name
    angelac
    Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 11:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I had bad breath too but my surgeon allowed me to chew sugar-free gum. It also helps move air. Just don't swallow.

Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    05/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Jon Armstrong
    Last Activity
    04-06-2015 05:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 331 Times
    Was Thanked 252 Times in 241 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,922 Times
    Blog Entries

I reckon the funky breath will be ketosis... Coming from the reduced calorific intake.
    The pain in your back..... No idea so interested to hear what others say.
    I reckon anything liquid has to be tried. The liquid diet gets boring so any type of change has got to be well worth it.
    Highest weight ever - 108kgs, Surgery weight -101kgs, Goal weight - 65kgs

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Ferrari
    Last Activity
    07-05-2023 08:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 83 Times
    Blog Entries

I had midback pain so bad 3 weeks after the surgery that it had me crying like a baby. I never used my post op lortab until then. My doctor had me run a gamut of tests and found "nothing related to surgery". I decided to do some research on my own and came to the conclusion that it was arthritis pain. I had been diagnosed with spinal arthritis years ago and I believe that since I was not consuming any where near the water or nutrients from fruit and vegetables that I had been consuming before surgery that the uric acid in my body wasn't being flushed out and was causing my arthritis to flare like it had never flared before. It makes sense to me. And when I was able to increase my fluids and get in more activity, the pain subsided and hasnt bothered me since.

Tell your doctor about your pain either way because lots of folks say that the gallbladder can cause back pain. Better safe than sorry. As far as liquids, I had what you are already having. And I agree with Truebody, the funk mouth is probably ketosis.
    highest pre-surgery (2/2013) 419 lbs
    lowest post-surgery (4/2014) 245 lbs
    highest pst-surg regain (1/2020) 362 lbs

"If you have a tire blow-out, do you get out of the car and slash the other three? No, you change the tire and keep going."

Gastric Sleeve Member Karenricha's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    04/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    07-05-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Well gallbladder was removed about 19 years ago...so its not that. When I take a pain med the back ache eases up - but I hate to continue to take percocets....no fever - I have always been a tummy sleeper - so now its mostly my back..I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. I have been slowly stretching my spine a bit.
    Luke - did you just have liquids like myself the first two weeks post op? anyone eat cream of wheat?

Gastric Sleeve Member finallyfree's Avatar
    Name
    angelac
    Surgery date
    02/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    09-26-2013 11:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Drinking liquids only can be a bit much. I pretty much drank the same as you. I tried tomato soup, once. Nothing bad happened I just didn't like it. Your taste buds change. Protein shakes totally made me gag. I had to plug my nose to drink them. Try different protein shakes. I found that BariWise was really good, seriously. Its the shakes I was given in the hospital and I searched the net until I found them. Check out Bariatric Choice to see their products. Its the shakes you add water to like berry and strawberry kiwi, 15g protein per serving. There aren't a lot of choices. I can say its important to stick with the guidelines. You certainly wouldn't want your sutures ruptured. When I finally moved to solid foods, I wasn't able to swallow and had to go back on liquids again. Still have issues with food making my gag and having to throw up. Every issue I had post-op is explained to be a metabolic change caused by surgery. Even my insomnia which I still haven't gotten a handle on. Hang in there.

Surgery date
    02/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Glascock
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 585 Times

I still have a yucky taste in my mouth and chewing gum seems to help. I also have had back pain on the upper right side of my back. It's not gas and I only get it if I'm exercising or have been physically active. It doesn't hurt bad --- just a dull ache. I have no idea what it's from! . I loved tomato soup and put PB3 in it for extra protein. It was really good. Things will get better once you can eat real food. It won't be long!

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

The breath.......to quote George Carlin.....IT COULD KNOCK A BUZZARD OFF A SHIT WAGON......you have reminded me of early days when I could not stand my breath or my body, odour seemed to be coming from the pours. Of course at that time almost every smell made me gag. It's really bad when you can't even live with yourself. This all passed. I am pretty much a belly sleeper and caused me prob. until I could finally roll over to my tummy. Check it out though. i have used powder protien mixed with water..mango taste. Loved it then and love it now.

Gastric Sleeve Member mhardester62's Avatar
    Name
    mary
    Surgery date
    06/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sofranski
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 766 Times

hope you feel better soon