Surgeon
    Dr Forrester
    Last Activity
    07-15-2014 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 208 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 263 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Suggestions to break a stall....

And PLEASE don't suggest the pouch test. It ain't gonna happen lol.

I know you all get tired of the help i am stuck posts, but I could use a little encouragement.

It's been two weeks, lost nothing and actually gained a pound. My weight loss is pretty much a continuous stall for months with little breaks of losses. calories are always under a thousand. I don't eat a lot of fat or large amounts of refined carbs, but i do not rule out any food and eat tastes of many things. Last week I began working out in the pool and have went four times for two hours each time. I get plenty of water and protein. I take vitamins and am even on my second bottle of green coffee bean extract, in an attempt to speed up my metabolism. I do not believe my thyroid is bad, as they tested for a zillion things and i'd THINK they might have mentioned it, but who knows. I'm 48 years old. Not menopausal. But my age and the fact I am female do not help i know.

I've accepted that I am a slow loser and I am fine with that, but good LORD there has to be something to help with this a little...its insane how slowly it is coming off. at this rate It will be another year before i lose 50 more pounds.

Pounds LOST since surgery 111
    Finally reached Onderland 3/1/2013
    Height 5'3" Small frame
    Starting BMI day of surgery : 45.7 MORBIDLY OBESE CLASS 3
    BMI current 26.0 OVERWEIGHT

my first goal is to get to 141pounds, that will put me in the NORMAL range bmi. My second goal is 120, which is thin and healthy.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Julie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Malley
    Last Activity
    03-19-2021 08:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 158 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,246 Times

Default Re: Suggestions to break a stall....

I totally understand how frustrated you are. I am a slower loser, too, and I just came out of a nearly month long stall.
    Change up EVERYTHING you are doing. I ate oatmeal for breakfast on a normal day, so I switched to eggs. I was eating greek yogurt, so I stopped and started eating more hamburger, string cheese, and nuts. I had gotten away from my protein drinks, so I started having those for lunch again. It helped! Also, if you aren't already exercising, I would highly recommend that, too. And try to get your water in. I struggle with that, but wanted to see if one week of using these tactics helped, and it really did.
    Good luck, girlfriend!

Highest Weight 2001 - 282 lbs
    Lowest Weight 2002-2005 - 182 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 266 lbs
    Officially Overweight with BMI of 29.7 on 5/4/13
    "Onderland" - July 20 - 198#

Gastric Sleeve Member Delores512's Avatar
    Name
    Delores
    Surgery date
    05/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Halpin
    Last Activity
    10-27-2013 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 85 Times in 83 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 129 Times
    Blog Entries

Because I haven't been sleeved yet, I have not experienced a stall with the sleeve, but I have with many diets I have been one.

Take your measurements and see if you have lost some inches. Starting up a new exercise program, using different muscles, you may be loosing inches and gaining muscle - and therefore still losing fat.

Also reading the other posts, going back to basics. Start a food and activy journal. Then look to see where you might make some changes. Even if you only find one thing that you could change that might be the ticket.

Good Luck! Be patient! Look at your success so far and celebrate that!

Highest Weight 219
    Weight the day home from surgery 201
    1st goal under 200
    2nd goal down to 175
    3rd goal down to 150
    Ultimate goal down to 135

Gastric Sleeve Member A_New_Meek's Avatar
    Name
    Tamika
    Surgery date
    01/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Suh
    Last Activity
    10-05-2021 01:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

When I stall honestly I eat the opposite I through a lil bit more carbs in and more snacks and my stall breaks,drink plenty of water also

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Quote Originally Posted by A_New_Meek View Post
    When I stall honestly I eat the opposite I through a lil bit more carbs in and more snacks and my stall breaks,drink plenty of water also
    I do the same thing.... I find that if I eat something high calorie it shocks my body and it starts burning again.. Also, make sure that you are eating small meals 3-5 times a day and not just one or two times.. Stalls happen.. it's a fact and the more frustrated and stressed you get the worse your body will respond.... just stay positive and know that the scale will start moving again... I also agree on the inches part.. I have stalled MANNNNNY times and it's taken me a good 2 months just to lose my last 5 lbs.. One day the scale will say 201.7 and then 2 days later 205.6.. I tend to always fluctuate 3-4 lbs BUT.... I am STILL losing inches!! I can't stress the importance of keeping a log of your measurements! To hell with the scale... I got into a size 12 and couldn't be happier!!!! The way I feel and how my clothes fit mean wayyyyy more to me than a number!!

Stay positive!!!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Emily! You are below your goal!!! I'm so happy for you - I have enjoyed watching your progress! Congrats!!!!
    Lisa, I'm so in the same boat - just had to move my ticker from 194 back up to 198 and it really sucks! I have been kind of bad - small piece of cake, popcorn just about every day - I just can't seem to stop it! I think I'm going to have to go to a counselor because even the forum just isn't working any more. I am with you - no pouch test - I need food. Going to try to stick to low carb today but gosh, it is so hard. That seems to be the only way it will work for me. I can't seem to stay below 20 - and that's what I need to kick-start the loss again. So close but yet so far...
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

I totally understand what you mean...stalls suck....but they happen to all of us...Ive been in one for months, the scale finally moved...I stopped snacking at night....any change will do, our bodies think we are in starvation so they shut down to preserve themselves....they are smarter than we are...but my advice for what it's worth because I havent by no means arrived to where I want to be, but throw away your calender....this is the way we have to eat for the rest of our lives....so if it takes six months or six years....it don't matter....we are smaller....and we are going to get smaller still....we just have to enjoy the new body as it comes...slow or fast....I've heard that slow is actually better....less wrinkles :-) Good luck...happy losing, it will happen!

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Michele L
    Surgery date
    03/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Wooldridge
    Last Activity
    11-15-2013 01:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

cut your carbs out, if you eating carbs,cut cheese out.. eat alot of fish,seafood..watch fat content..no snacking on junk food if you do..

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I am 48 post menopause and lost 150 to get to goal in about 14 months. I didn't fret over stalls but focused on monthly progress. I know I had 2 week stalls but then would catch up. I only did the pouch test once for maybe 2 days ; all it really helped was breaking a carb crave cycle.

So here are my thoughts. Track everything for awhile. Don't eat protein bars. Change your workout routine...kick it up a notch. Go back to sleeve basics in my case I reintroduced my premier protein drinks. High protein, green veggies.... very little else! Mostly, be persistently consistent ... this is a long haul!
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member gemini*eyes's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-05-2014 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with the high calories stuff.. I keep going through long periods of no loss. Each time it got resolved by either a high calorie day.. Such as a half of a cheeseburger.. Or I do strictly high protein about 1500 calories of protein only.. but dont do this for more than a day or you surely will gain.. right now I keep gaining and losing the same few pounds.. Buy honestly it came off best when I was working out.. Last two weeks Ive been so damn busy worling 80 hrs a week I had no time.. I barely have time to sleep. 8 hrs of sleep is just as important as water and protein.. im over the hump of work load and im off to my 3.5 mile jog right now..and its really foggy and pretty out. I love it ..makes me feel like im going through an enchanted forest.. ! lol hey whatever works.. Right? im trying desperately to reach the 50 pound loss goal by my Vegas trip in May. ive got 11 to go!!! and im 4 1/2 months post op. Hair loss is happening but its barely noticable! ive also started a regimine of coconut oil which in clinical trials proved to shrink belly fat..

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Letizia (LOL)
    Surgery date
    09/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    04-18-2013 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 153 Times in 149 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,066 Times
    Blog Entries

I been on a stall too but I must say I'm lacking on workout and water intake. I love lentil soup it's high on protein and iron. And yes measure yourself I'm at 170 still I'm a Medium size now I can see my inches coming off this morning I put my jeans on without opening the zipper and my brother told me I look skinny!!! I was what!!! I haver heard that in a Lonf long time!! Lets start moving even if its just walking and yep drink water all day long. Best of luck to all in your journey come on we can do this!!

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mbenson5 View Post
    Emily! You are below your goal!!! I'm so happy for you - I have enjoyed watching your progress! Congrats!!!!
    Lisa, I'm so in the same boat - just had to move my ticker from 194 back up to 198 and it really sucks! I have been kind of bad - small piece of cake, popcorn just about every day - I just can't seem to stop it! I think I'm going to have to go to a counselor because even the forum just isn't working any more. I am with you - no pouch test - I need food. Going to try to stick to low carb today but gosh, it is so hard. That seems to be the only way it will work for me. I can't seem to stay below 20 - and that's what I need to kick-start the loss again. So close but yet so far...
    Not quite Melissa but CLOSE!!! I just jumped on the scale and I was 202.3.... It's my time of the month so i believe come this time next week I will be below goal!! Initially I had it set to 200 lbs but it will feel sooooo good to hit ONEDERLAND!!! So.... I think 185-190 will be a good stopping point for me..... Not even a year out from surgery!!! BEST decision EVER!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Kramer
    Last Activity
    07-03-2014 08:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 205 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 654 Times

I finally broke my month stall by eating. I started eating something every 3 hours. I think my body thought I was starving. I have lost 4 pounds in 3 days!!!! I also stopped worrying about protein. I eat what I want but just a little and not high in calories or fat. I will worry about the protein later.

Gastric Sleeve Member Enfury8me's Avatar
    Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    10/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    12-08-2015 05:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

I lost very fast at first and then I started having the stalls. It is very slowly inching down now. I have to practically starve myself to lose anything these days. I am 39 lbs. to goal and i have a feeling that this will be a very long 39 lbs. I just came off a stall myself and finally made it out of the 190's. Good luck to you girl, we can do this together!!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Blessed to have had my Sleeve and now the Journey Ensues:
    Highest Weight 2012 - 272 lbs
    Lowest Weight 1999 - 150 lbs
    Start pre-op diet - 272 lbs
    Date of surgery - 272 lbs (10/23/12)

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

If you continue your pool workout, the weight will come off. Sometimes weight goes up a little shortly after people start working out, and then it will come off. For woman over 40, our metabolism is slowing down. Have to work harder to lose. I would really limit simple carb and process food.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.