Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-21-2017 05:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Lightbulb Questions for all the people who have completed surgery

What has been the most hardest thing about getting gastric sleeve? What do you miss and what do you enjoy more? What advice can you give me someone who is struggling with the decision? What are some if any of the medical conditions you face now because of the surgery? Thanks in advance for your honesty.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-12-2019 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 145 Times in 143 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 450 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions for all the people who have completed surgery

1. Hello to you
    2.The hardest thing is getting used to not being able to eat as I was before.
    3. I miss nothing really but I'm really enjoying watching those scales move. And the freedom that has come with it.
    4. You know what you are dealing with. This is a tool to help you get your life back, If you are like me before surgery. trying everything and all my efforts fail then this tool just may be the thing for you too
    3. I have not medical conditions as of now. As a matter of fact my complaints before are gone. If I had to do it all over again I would in a heart beat. So good luck in whatever you decide to do.

MARCHING ON TOWARD THE PRIZE.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Cottam
    Last Activity
    11-29-2013 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there! For me the big adjustment has been not being able to eat what I did before. Fried foods? Out. Bread? Out. There are a lot of foods that will be off limits for me. But, the bottom line is that I don't ever want to go back to what I was before. So, I remind myself of that when temptation is in front of me. This truly is the strongest willpower I have ever had.
    I am a month out from surgery, and have lost 35 pounds since my 2-week preoperative clear liquid diet on 12/24. I really enjoy running into people who haven't seen me for awhile and them commenting on my weight loss. I know it's coming off, but it isn't obvious to me when I look in the mirror every day. So, my photos have been a huge motivational tool for me.
    So far I don't have any postoperative surgery-related medical issues.

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

The hardest thing for me is not having the weight melt off as I imagined it would if I followed the rules. It's hard to lose so little each week, but at least it's moving down and not up.

I don't really miss any food. I sort of think if I want something I will eat a tiny amount and that is enough to make me happy.

I did not have any post op complications at all for which I am truly grateful.

I love not being Diabetic (blood sugar is normal without medication) no high blood pressure, no sleep apnea, no snoring, no nothing.

Of course I love going from a size 22 to a size 14 since starting the pre-op program in April 2012. I love the comments from people.

The big sadness is that I expected the weight loss to help my back that I injured when falling flat on concrete. it has not helped at all but I'd do the sleeve in a heartbeat even if I didn't lose another pound and if my back never gets better.

Gastric Sleeve Member teresaloves2trvl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Snyder
    Last Activity
    01-03-2016 04:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

The hardest thing is the long wait to be able to eat solid food again. I miss being able to guzzle water. I love losing weight finally. Be aware some people heal faster and easier than others and you may breeze through recovery or you may have some temporary complications and set backs. I have had a hard time in the last 5 weeks since my surgery, but the option of no surgery would have been unthinkable. My weight was killing me. You have to weigh the pros and cons and think about the long road that is the rest of your life.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member EarthAngel71's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Werapitiya
    Last Activity
    06-07-2015 10:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 101 Times
    Blog Entries

I am one pound away from 100lb lost - brilliant! I am about to move town to live with my boyfriend and in getting ready to move, have just thrown out another two large garbage bags of clothes I had held on to - most now way to big, or just don't suit my new shape. I could say its hard watching all that money spent over the years going down the drain as I bag the clothes up for op shops - we are talking now thousands of dollars. But I see that as an investment in years to come, with money saved in buying what fits well and is flattering, having choice, having health and feeling fulfilled emotionally.

I realise I have bought everything I ever wanted, in the hope of feeling fulfilled, when all I wanted was love and security and choosing to love me, has led to many other delightful surprises - the change isn't all easy, I have to let go of outmoded beliefs, belongings, as well as unhealthy approaches that somehow gave me false comfort.

The hardest thing about the sleeve - I think its been very easy. The surgery, the recovery.......yes sometimes I have wanted to eat more than I could. Not having a crutch in being able to eat my emotions, has been an awareness more than a difficulty. I think the change is the hardest thing, realising I am not the same person and I am still changing, but with that comes liberation. Realising I lived in fear and self loathing, but loving the freedom and confidence that is emerging. Realising how much of life I had missed out on, only makes me more determines to live now! Realising how big I was, and how sad that makes me when I see the difference in photographs, and yet, didn't see it at the time. With that comes commitment to not losing touch with myself, loving myself and maintaining the boundaries I need to feel secure.

What do I miss? nothing

What advice can I give to someone who is struggling with the decision? Make the decision only when you are ready. I had tried many things, generally ate well, just too much. I didn't see myself as I was, I had lost sight of me I had lost all connection with me. I can see that now. I used to see surgery as an easy out, and so did Lite n Easy, Jenny Craig, protein drinks you name it. The reality was I was failing on my own, and could not break the cycle. I would lose 7kg and gain 10. I had three bedrooms of stored clothes, I had lost my spirit of fun, I had lost me. When I saw a doctor for hives, that could not be explained.......and he weighed me, in an instant, I had made my decision. But I was fed up, I wanted love, I wanted to look good and feel good! I wanted to be satisfied on less, I wanted to be healthy, and I needed help and finally, I was ready to accept it.

What medical conditions do I now face because of the surgery?
    None that I know of, 7 months in. My hair loss has almost stopped. I do need a daily multivitamin. I am comfortable in my own skin, I move freely, my shape is changing. I can't sit still for long because I have more energy. Sex is better, my confidence is better. My skin is shrinking with me, but my arms perhaps will need some surgery - who knows, I am not there yet.

What medical conditions did I have?
    I was lucky, I didn't have any except for intermittent depression which I think was weight related.
    “There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”― Nelson Mandela

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Michellelynn1236's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Castellanos
    Last Activity
    07-23-2013 09:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Honestly, looking back now almost 5 months down I think the biggest adjustment for me was getting used to be social with friends without being a social eater.
    I mean I can eat whatever I want, in smaller amounts and I think at first I really missed just eating, not that I was hungry because I wasn't!
    we build a whole network of eating with friends, family, co-workers. It is our "thing"
    I missed being able to have 18 bites instead of 8
    But I adjusted, I eat more in the begining of a long meal with friends now and drink more as it gets later and I let my body tell me when I am full and trust me, it will.

Medical conditions post surgery, absolutely none.
    It really is the best thing I could have done for myself and subsequently my family.

It is hard to make the decision, so many "what ifs", I actually cancelled my first surgery date..
    Fear can be a crazy thing, but it is great surgery , for me at least..

I wish you the best in your journey, I know it is not an easy road, surgery is NOT the easy way out!

Message if you have any questions..

Name
    Jessy
    Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ahmed Ibrahim
    Last Activity
    12-13-2016 02:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 130 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi there
    I'm over a year & a half post op & here's my take on the surgery:

1- The hardest thing was forcing my brain to match my tummy size......it took me a while to really realize that i NEEDED to take way smaller helpings of food. Also realizing that you'll never be able to enjoy eating certain types of food again (at least for the 1st 6 to 9 months).

2- I definitely have to force myself to eat cuz there r days when i'm never hungry & i forget to eat.

3- You need to never give in to junk food & learn to nibble on healthy items (fruit,veggies, protein.....lay off the carbs/sugar)

4- Being a size 6 now after being a size 22 is worth giving up the world.....i mean it.

5- I enjoy looking a hell of a lot younger, i play sports everyday now, i wear colors, leather, short sexy stuff,heels, everything And everything looks awesome Also i enjoy designing my outfits, now i can actually wear them!

6- An outing to me is enjoyable cuz of how confident & beautiful i look, rather than the food i'm gonna eat.............the highlight is the outfit, the make-up, the accessories & the attention i get.........not the food.

7- I gotta say though that i'm newly divorced now ......not cuz of the sleeve, but my ex was quite verbally abusive about my weight as well as a lot of stuff & he sometimes got physical too.....but since i had incredibly low self esteem , i always thought i couldn't leave him, i was too ugly to find anyone else & i felt terribly broken......also i got used to him threatening me to get anything done................after i lost almost half my size, i actually FELT & SAW for myself that i looked beautiful & young, i got a good job & i realized that i had fallen out of luv with him a long time ago & the more successful i got, the more bitter insecure he felt.........so i finally ended it now.............i wish i had this surgery done years ago & i certainly wish i had left him from day 1 abuse...........

I would do this surgery in a heartbeat again most definitely.

I just wanna remind you that it is a TOOL not a magic solution.....u gotta adapt a healthy lifestyle which means focusing on lean protein, fresh produce & watch ur sugar & carb intake really closely & u NEEEEED to exercise .....i used to exercise DAILY for at least 60 to 90 minutes incorporating cardio & strength training & weights ...................

If anyone has any questions i'll be more than glad to answer & good luck 2 everyone with this life changing surgery

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kylene View Post
    What has been the most hardest thing about getting gastric sleeve?
    After the surgery, I guess what someone else said - occasionally I get a twinge of not quite regret, but slight envy, watching others eat without restriction - not about eating a huge meal just a usual size portion of something. But actually the hardest thing for me about getting the sleeve was coming to the decision. Once I'd made the decision, it's all just felt like "well I knew this is how it would be - and the positives are so great, I'm happy to live with the consequences".

Another thing that was a bit hard was not wanting to skip ahead during the post-op food regime because my surgeon's regime was extremely slow in progressing through liquids, pureeds, soft solids before moving onto all foods (mine was originally a month for each). But actually when I saw my surgeon at six weeks and had been having no difficulties tolerating pureed and heavily chewed up soft solids (which i did a couple of times ahead of schedule), he cleared me to try whatever.

What do you miss and what do you enjoy more?
    Same as above, occasionally I miss being able to eat a bit more. Mind you, I expect with time for my capacity to increase a bit, so this will probably be less of an issue with time. I think the psychological adjustment will continue as well so it will be less of an issue mentally.

On the other hand, I enjoy (or maybe enjoy is not quite the right word, but feel hugely positive about) the sense of relief I have that I am forced to stop eating, so that I don't have to fight with myself about eating and stopping. I used to have that sense of struggle pretty much daily - and that struggle and disappointment that I couldn't manage it far negatively outweighed the ability to eat what I want. One of my colleagues said to me "I could never have surgery, because I would never want to give up the choice to have a big meal when I want to go out with friends etc". My response to this was that I wanted the choice removed because all the evidence told me that I couldn't reliably make good choices for myself - I just didn't want that choice any more.

Last night I was at a party - I had small amounts of the lovely nibbles they had. When it was time for cake, I knew I couldn't eat it, so just said no thanks. Someone then brought out a plate of home-made brownies cut into little pieces - about an inch square. I took one of those and ate it, and felt really satisfied with both the lovely taste AND the amount. And I got to do that entirely worry/guilt free. Fantastic!!

What advice can you give me someone who is struggling with the decision?
    My advice based on my experience is to make the decision based on logic - look at your own history about how you have/haven't been able to manage your weight, understand that the research now is saying that very few people will successfully lose weight and maintain, look at the risks that go with remaining overweight/obese, and understand that there are risks associated with having the surgery (very small compared to the risks of remaining obese - but obviously more immediate). Like you're already doing, research the outcomes and understand all of what you're choosing. It's a whole package, and if you come to a peaceful place about the overall reasons you've made the choice, it makes the little challenges tolerable. Much like (I imagine) if people decide to have children, you realise there is cost, hassle, sleepless nights, giving up independence involved - but on balance the wonderful positives of having kids means you get through the times where they are being little shits and still think it was a great thing to do.

Then if and when you make the decision to have surgery, recognise you will feel lots of different emotions as you move forward and cope with those without trying to use those emotions to re-evaluate the decision. If I'd listened to my fear about the possibility (very small) of death during surgery, I wouldn't have been able to go through with it. As it was, I was gripped with fear momentarily from time to time (including when they were wheeling me into surgery), but just told myself I knew why I was doing this, and kept taking the next step.

What are some if any of the medical conditions you face now because of the surgery?
    None - I didn't have any co-morbidities before, and I don't have any now. I haven't experienced any post-op complications, and felt bettter and pain free very quickly. Of course you can't guarantee you'll be a person who has an easy time post-operatively, so I'm very grateful I've had a positive experience. Pre-operatively, I've always been a very healthy person (apart from being overweight), and so it felt like a good decision to do it while that was still the case, to reduce the risks associate with surgery, and to maintain the quality of health and life I had. It would only be a matter of time before I ended up with some weight-related co-morbidity.

Thanks in advance for your honesty.
    You're very welcome. Good luck in coming to a decision that feels right for you.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

reading this was amazing. Thank you so much for the posting of this. I can't wait for my turn.

Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    01/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Attiles
    Last Activity
    01-13-2014 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 76 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 160 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Being three weeks post op the feelings I felt the first week are fresh in my memory. Anxiety, great, regret....that was the first week when I was struggling to drink even an oz of water and my stomach was gurgling and bubbling away. I really was like what have I done. Very normal considering I went into the hospital able to eat whatever I wanted with no issues. It's difficult in the beginning to remember why we choose this when we aren't seeing any of the benefits. I can honestly say those feelings left after the first week as the weight melts of. My world revolved around food and that I wanted to change. I run a boutique and I can only wear one track of the clothing....I want to wear all of it! I want to ride a bike with my husband.....I went to key west last winter and so envied all the bikers...so I ate to feel better. My life has revolved around the planned meals..what's for dinner...when are we eating.... I've been thin....I much prefer thin,I needed a permanent tool because I am pretty good at losing weight, it's the maintaining that I suck at. But to be honest...I have gained so much weight....I didn't think I could get back down on my own..and why bother since I would only gain it back anyway. Yes....I do miss eating alot of food at once but I used to inhale my food ..this surgery FORCES me to eat slow..to chew my food. As someone posted about will power, it does give you that!
    No regrets for me....
    I had border line high blood pressure which I want medicated for............yet
    I have mild sleep apnea which they are sure will disappear.
    The doctors were shocked I didn't have metabolic syndrome
    I have had no complications from this operation.
    I thought about this for years.......was to afraid to do it...final straw for me was yet another trip for my husband to SCOTLAND without me because I was to o embarrassed to fly this fat! While he was gone I made the appt.and was he thrilled....my whole family, parents, my son's...all super supportive.....
    Good luck to you on this journey...as you can see this forum has a great group of folks to help you along....

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Ranch Nurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-21-2014 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Being mindful to eat slowly, hardest part was sipping right after surgery, 2 plus months out I can chug fluids now. At this time I cannot tolerate boiled eggs which i love, chicken gives me the willies, but I am told this will pass.

If you asked me if I would do it all over again I would say YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am down 38 pounds and feeling SOOOOOOO much better!
    Live like there is no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt before, Dance Like no One is WATCHING!!! Believe in yourself,and FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member donewithdieting's Avatar
    Name
    Linda Lou
    Surgery date
    11/08/2011
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    05-15-2016 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 711 Times

Af'ter reading all the great responses and most are so true I had to go back up to the original question to make sure I'm answering what you are looking for.
    Miss the most is quanity of food, but knowing full well I would be right back to where I started plus more. I like the reminder of restriction. Some foods go down easier that others and If they are high calorie/carbs ones gotta only use as treats.

I've written about this on another thread. Watch out for cross addictions. I turned to alcohol for my lack of being unable to eat. NEVER thought it could happen to ME. Well I got pretty used to it fast. My weight loss stopped last August and I actually gained 8 #. Three weeks ago I said that is enough and haven't had any since. Kinda missed it for about a week, now I'm ok. So please read up on cross addictions before this surgery.

Ratherwise It was and is fun to buy, name brand, good fitting clothes from a size 20 to a 12. WHooHoo. Good Luck

Gastric Sleeve Member pieganjane's Avatar
    Name
    Jane S.
    Surgery date
    10/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zuccala
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times

Lea, everything you said is true for me too. You said it so well.

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

The only thing I can add to all the previous responses is "Having to wait after eating 30 minutes or more to drink". I used to drink several glasses of water with my meals and can't do that now. If I eat and then try to drink right away it is uncomfortable so I must wait, just like they tell you too.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.