Dr. Bayron
    Last Activity
    05-16-2015 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Waiting to get my life back

Hi Everyone,
    Just joined up today as I am getting closer to making a final decision about getting the sleeve surgery. I am leaning heavily toward Jerusalem Hospital and Dr Mario Almanza. I read about some bad experiences there although the worst were over 2 years ago. I trust those couple of situations were isolated.
    I did learn however that they no longer have the patients at the guest house. You are put up in a hotel for free if you stay with another patient. Otherwise it is $65 or so a night. Pricing is going up to $4750 in January of 2013. I met someone who got it done with Dr Ortiz from Obesity Control Center and she was happy with the process...just wish his prices weren't so high.

** so here is my update.... On the very day I was going to pay for flights and the operation in Mexico I decided to try to see my Doctor in person as she was not replying to my emails. She then told me her and other hospital members were having a meeting with the Overseas personnel to find out exactly what went wrong with a few patients process for the VSG. My insurance company ended up reevaluating my case along with some others and I was able to get the surgery done through insurance!!
    I lost 15lbs in 2 weeks and so excited to see it go down more. The first 2 days were not pleasant at all. It was so painful to move around even just a little. On my second night I asked 3 times for pain meds before I got anything and I yes I asked after I was due to have any more med. By then I was in tears. This was in Florida USA. I remember thinking US hospitals or Canadian hospitals are not a guarantee for prompt health care. Most nurses were nice although one in particular seemed annoyed to be working both her shifts I had her. Who knows what she had going on in her head. The next 10 days were filled with wanting to eat solids but couldn't, learning to take smaller sips of soup, protein shakes, jello, etc. I only had one time where my chest and stomach hurt after drinking my pureed soup. I figured I drank too much too fast. Lasted about 75 minutes. Not pleasant. Learned my lesson though!
    Once the staples were out I felt free!!! No more painful pulling at the sites and no more snagging on clothes or accidentally scratching a staple. ouch!! Been increasing my walk time and pace and feeling good. Even though I had some rough days I would still recommend this operation to anyone needing it. I'm looking forward to buying smaller clothes when I go back to Canada for a visit in August.
    I am on my way to getting my life back!!
    Reason: updating my situation!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/20/2013
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 898 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Waiting to get my life back

Hi and welcome.
    Good luck with your journey ... Keep us posted

Gastric Sleeve Member Canadian333's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bayron
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thanks and I will! I anticipate surgery to be in January. Nervous and excited!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-07-2013 06:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Hi, Had my sleeve done 12-12-12 by DR Almanza and had a great experience. There's a group of us that had it done the same day and are all doing well, some have some discomfort but most were out shopping in the neighborhood or went and had manicures. The hotel we stayed at was wonderful and there is a nurse there at all times if you need anything. Never thought going through this would be so easy. I look forward to great results!

Name
    Linny
    Surgery date
    01/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 95 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm having surgery in January with Dr. Quinones. If price is an issue for you, he is running a special for $4000 if you make a deposit before the end of the year. All my research about him has been positive.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bayron
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by lindmar View Post
    I'm having surgery in January with Dr. Quinones. If price is an issue for you, he is running a special for $4000 if you make a deposit before the end of the year. All my research about him has been positive.
    thanks for the information...I just happen to be looking him up and sent off a request for a quote. I know cheaper is not always the best way to go so that's why these forums are so important. good luck and who knows maybe I'll see you there!

Surgery date
    02/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bayron
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DiPri View Post
    Hi, Had my sleeve done 12-12-12 by DR Almanza and had a great experience. There's a group of us that had it done the same day and are all doing well, some have some discomfort but most were out shopping in the neighborhood or went and had manicures. The hotel we stayed at was wonderful and there is a nurse there at all times if you need anything. Never thought going through this would be so easy. I look forward to great results!
    Glad you are all doing well! Just when I thought I had it narrowed down I join a couple sites and more information just comes pouring in. Love it! Melissa at Jerusalem Hospital has been very patient with all my questions. Did you go alone? That's a concern of mine..I have to spend another $850 or so to bring someone with me.

Banned
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    01/12/2013
    Surgeon
    Sergio Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian333 View Post
    thanks for the information...I just happen to be looking him up and sent off a request for a quote. I know cheaper is not always the best way to go so that's why these forums are so important. good luck and who knows maybe I'll see you there!
    Hello and welcome to the forum!!! I am getting my VGS done with Dr Quinones on Jan 11th. I agree 100% with you that cheaper is not always the best way! I also was going to go with Dr Almanza but after spending more than a week doing my research on english and spanish websites and going as far as contacting a major hospital in Tijuana. I knew that Dr Quinones was the Dr I was going to use... Money was the LEAST of my concerns when it came to having Dr Almanza or Dr Quinones perform my surgery. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck!!!

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told that doctor Ortiz couldn't do bariatrics on the Angeles Hospital, due to malpractice alligations.
    Hi Everyone,
    Just joined up today as I am getting closer to making a final decision about getting the sleeve surgery. I am leaning heavily toward Jerusalem Hospital and Dr Mario Almanza. I read about some bad experiences there although the worst were over 2 years ago. I trust those couple of situations were isolated.
    I did learn however that they no longer have the patients at the guest house. You are put up in a hotel for free if you stay with another patient. Otherwise it is $65 or so a night. Pricing is going up to $4750 in January of 2013. I met someone who got it done with Dr Ortiz from Obesity Control Center and she was happy with the process...just wish his prices weren't so high.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

If you bring a person, and you have surgery with Dr. Quinones, your friend can stay with you for free, both at the surgical facility and the Hotel.I had surgery with him in Oct. 2012, so if you have any questions about him let me know. I also have a few youtube videos I have done of my progress.
    Glad you are all doing well! Just when I thought I had it narrowed down I join a couple sites and more information just comes pouring in. Love it! Melissa at Jerusalem Hospital has been very patient with all my questions. Did you go alone? That's a concern of mine..I have to spend another $850 or so to bring someone with me.

Name
    Cindy Barrie
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    04-10-2015 04:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 165 Times
    Was Thanked 220 Times in 207 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 403 Times
    Blog Entries

Best wishes for your journey and decisions. You are asking all of the right questions and looking at all the information with a critical eye. I hope you a smooth and successful surgery and recovery in 2013.

Surgery date
    02/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bayron
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

I appreciate all the welcomes and the information posted! I have been emailing Henry- Patient Services - with Dr Sergio Quinones and he's been great. Prompt emails even on a Sunday and he's written that I would get my deposit back if I had to cancel or reschedule for later. The payment options are great too...I didn't want to do wire transfers as they cost more money so Paypal and online email transferring are options. I'm impressed.
    I had to ask all these questions after reviewing blogs.