Surgeon
    Dr. DiCicco
    Last Activity
    11-22-2015 08:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Clear Liquids -Alumni post suggestions here - Newbies get info here

I liked the chicken broth in a can, or try cooking some chicken noodle soup, and straining the noodles leaving the broth.
    Been sitting at my personal goal for a year now.
    For Custom T Shirts, and Fitness Shirts
    www.floridafitnessapparel.com

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

All of this is so important to know! Will follow this thread. Thanks to everyone!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member rhill2901's Avatar
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

Hey! I had some chicken broth left over from the first two weeks, so I got creative this evening. I put a couple of shots of lousiana hotsauce and pepper in the chicken broth after I heated in the microwave and it gave me a new flavor! Hehe, and to say, it was pretty good

Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Pierce
    Last Activity
    05-11-2020 11:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 128 Times
    Was Thanked 89 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

My hubby bought me cans of Swanson Natural chicken broth. I tasted it to see how much sodium was in it and then I added garlic powder and ground cracked pepper. It tasted just like eating chicken and rice. I have also heard people stirring unflavored protein powder in the broth too.
    Height: 6'0"
    Shape: Apple (No Hips)
    Information Session: August 14, 2013

Gastric Sleeve Member amyswisher's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by accordingtome View Post
    To start off with I purchased a variety of items to have in my pantry for when I returned home from surgery.

Before my surgery, I purchased this
    Protica - Protica - Detail

I could sip on this and finish it through out the day. Now, I drink one first thing in the morning. The flavor that I like the best is blue raspberry swirl. The good thing about this is that it's 25 grams of protein in a 3 oz tube.

this is a great way to get protein while you are on clear liquids.

( There are a variety of brands available of this type of product. This is just the brand I use.)

I also purchased this

Protica - Detail

I am not a big fan of Jello anyway. I did try to eat some just to get the protein and I still have quite a few left. Jello makes me gag, even without being protein Jello. If you like Jello, I think it's a good choice to help get the clear liquids. I could only take a few bites at a time in the beginning. I would just cover the top and put it back in the fridge and take a few more bites later. I won't purchase this again because I don't like Jello anyway.

Today I am purchasing this and I can't wait to try it. It is the Protica vial with 50 grams of protein in a 3 oz. vial.

Protica - Detail

I am purchasing the 50 gram profect. It is my understanding that this is thicker than the 25 gram, so I don't know if I will like it. I hope it's not going to be a waste of money. I know that I can drink the 25 gram one that I mentioned above. I am ordering the blue raspberry swirl because that is the flavor I liked in the 25 gram.

I will let you guys know if I liked it.

Even though I can eat solid food now, I still like to drink one profect 25 a day. I hope I will be able to drink the Profect 50 without any problems.

Ok, for more clear liquids.
    I made campbells chicken noodle soup and strained out the noodles and chicken. I preferred this to just a can of chicken broth.

I also bought campbells vegtable soup and strained everything out and drank the broth.

I drank the broth out of ramen noodles. ( I know, high in sodium and not the best choice )

I ate sugar free popsicles.

I never found sugar free italian ice, but if you can find it, I know some people have, that would be a great yummy clear liquid.

I also drank hot, decaf, unsweet tea. I bought louisianne brand and made it in my coffee maker instead of coffee.

I drank Crystal Light.

Don't forget just plain old water if you can handle it.

Thanks for all of the awesome info!! Quick question...these protein shots, they aren't 100% whey protein isolate...does that make a difference? I've heard some people say that the other forms (like collagen type) are not a good enough type of protein. I just want to make sure before I spend a lot of money on something that I later find out isn't what I should be using.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member reinventme's Avatar
    Name
    Alexis
    Surgery date
    06/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    09-09-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Please note that the 2 week preop liquid diet is Not a Clear Liquid diet. Anything that is clear liquid you could read a paper through if it were in a glass. Shakes are technically full liquid as are any foods or soups cooked and whipped up and blenderized.

Gastric Sleeve Member Jdebooserie's Avatar
    Name
    Jurgen Debooserie
    Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Bruno Dillemans
    Last Activity
    02-22-2017 03:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Im a third day right now and I dont use my protein shakes anymore. I usually eat pudding or different kind of yogurts ( of course the ones with not a lot of sugar). I mix soy milk with half a mango, kiwi, peaches,.... I make different kind of soups from scratch ( which my mom usually finishes since I can only eat 10 big spoons). Sometimes I just drink buttermilk.

ive also bought pineapple juice with 9 grams of sugar and 10 grams of carbs per 100 ml. But I am not sure if pineapple is good for the stomach.

Height: 6"00" or 182cm
    Weight lost: 156 pounds
    Started on June 24, 2014! 344pounds!
    Surgery: July 17, 2014!!!
    "I AM HAPPY WITH MY WEIGHT!!!!!"

Gastric Sleeve Member KajunKween's Avatar
    Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schrapps
    Last Activity
    06-21-2015 08:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Question with the Isopure...from what I understand, the drinks are considered clear liquid, but what about the powder that you mix with water? Does it mix clear? Or does it mix like other protein drinks and is not clear?

Also, I believe one of the ladies at my surgeons office told me that not all protein is equal, and that you should really be using whey protein isolate only. What have you all been told?

First surgical consult: 267
    Start of surgeon’s pre-op diet: 260
    Surgery day: 252.8
    1 month post-op:
    2 months post-op:
    3 months post-op:
    4 months post-op:
    6 months post-op:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Singh
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told Isopure powder - or any protein powder - is not allowed in the clear diet stage. I was also told to use whey protein isolate only as well. Basically I'm sticking to the bottles of Isopure for now, even though it I have to force myself to drink it. Can't wait to move on to the powder version. I don't mind that nearly as much.

Gastric Sleeve Member Beth Pets's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Douglas Ewing
    Last Activity
    12-05-2014 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

For my clear liquid phase I am relying only on real food as a source of protein. Primarily Beef Bone Stock.

It is delicious, packed with protein, minerals and vitamins plus it digests well and it also helps your body process protein more efficiently. The collagen is also great for skin and hair.

Here is my recipe...15 lbs of meaty organic knuckle and marrow bones roasted until browned, put in enormous stock pot and cover with water. Simmer for 10 or more hours. Add 1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar, 5 lbs carrots, 5 lbs onions, 5 lbs tomatoes, 2 lbs turnips, 2 lbs celery, 3 heads garlic, any fresh herbs you grow and cook another 1 to 2 hours. Strain through a double layer of cheesecloth, throw away solids and chill clear liquid to remove fat from the top. What is left is gold standard nutrition. There should be somewhere between two and three quarts and each cup blows whey protein isolate out of the water in just about every category except convenience.

Given the choice of gagging down some nasty Isopure or savoring a rich, warm cup of homemade soup and I will take the real food any time.

I lost 25 pounds on my (2 month) pre-surgical diet and my weight the date of surgery was 290.

Gastric Sleeve Member MysticalMaybe's Avatar
    Name
    Deseree
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Um
    Last Activity
    05-01-2015 02:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 138 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 339 Times

On year out and I still remember that the Isopure gets yucky, I really couldn't finish one bottle and I wanted something good something that didn't taste like candy. My Daughter is going to have the surgery and they are telling her to get the liquid Isopure but I'm thinking of making the stock Beth Pet posted above. That sounds really good and I want her to have the best stuff not something full of who knows what is in it.

I'm not the best cook in the world but that looks like something I can make

Gastric Sleeve Member Blackbry63's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Averbach
    Last Activity
    01-19-2019 10:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times

Soup broth
    Jello
    Sugar Free Popsicles
    Isoprene Protein

These are the things that got me through

Surgery date
    11/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Donovan Teel,II
    Last Activity
    01-02-2016 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Hello, I just wanted to share a little something I just tried and I like it a lot ...Chicken broth from a can, small amount of Garlic powder to it after putting in micro wave yummm was getting sick of all protein drinks and popcicles... I even put in a dash of grate parm cheese.....

Gastric Sleeve Member meme_mayham's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Marco Sarinana
    Last Activity
    08-26-2017 04:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

hi, i have to do 21 day liquid diet, with the last 7 days clear liquids, my surgery isnt until April, but i want to start to make changes, i would like suggestions on how to start and if someone could do me a meal/drink plan for the 21 days if possible.

Gastric Sleeve Member meme_mayham's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Marco Sarinana
    Last Activity
    08-26-2017 04:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

she is lucky to have ur support,