Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    03-29-2024 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Would I lose more weight if I had the Gastric Bypass vs the Gastric Sleeve?

This question was asked in our FAQ, as I have not been sleeved, I am turning to the community for an answer that I will put in the FAQ:

Would I lose more weight if I had the Gastric Bypass vs the Gastric Sleeve? I am 66 yrs old and I am approximately 130 pounds overweight.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I've lost just as much if not more than some of my friends that have had RNY.

I dropped over 140 pound in 10.5 months. I dropped 115lbs in 6.5 months with the sleeve and that got me to goal. I continued to lose sporadically even when I was trying to maintain. I'm in a healthy weight range for my height, and have been easily maintaining my current weight of 120-125lbs for the last 4.5 months.

This is ME, just my personal opinion. With RNY, you trade 2 years max of malabsorption of calories/fats for a lifetime of malabsorption of nutrients/vitamins. For me, that wasn't a good trade especially when I see so many RNY patients seeking revisions from RNY to DS or ERNY (to remove more intestine so they can malabsorb again) after a few years. I love having a fully functioning stomach, no pouch (I had it with the band), no rerouting.

I'm not saying RNY is not successful, obviously it is, but I wouldn't trade my sleeve, the life I live, the food I eat, the no issues with labs, for an RNY pouch, and the long laundry list of long term complications that I have not only witnessed on message boards, but friends in real life that deal with them daily.

Gastric Sleeve Member Hollywood_B1983's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Brandon
    Surgery date
    10/11/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    09-21-2011 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 90 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times

USAWIFE, congrats on your weight loss, and maintaining it! You look AMAZING I might add!!! I have yet to have the sleeve, I actually just made my surgery date official yesterday. I am buying the plane tickets and sending the deposit off, either today or tomorrow. I am going to Juarez, Mexico for mine. On Oct. 11th.

Back to the question I have done tons of research on both surgeries bc I actually wanted the gastric bypass until I learned about the sleeve. According to the doctors at the seminars I went to, they claimed that the "AVERAGE" patient will lose 65% of their excess body weight in the first year with the gastric bypass. And will lose 60% with the sleeve. Now we hear stories of tons of people losing way more than that in a year. That is just what the Doctors said at the seminars I went to. I hope I helped.

Last Activity
    03-12-2014 01:32 AM
    Said "Thanks" 68 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

Default Re: Would I lose more weight if I had the Gastric Bypass vs the Gastric Sleeve?

It's all about you. There are many stories of success and failure for all WLS. I believe you need research the good and bad stories and discuss what you learn with more than one surgeon, the GP who knows you best and even trusted friends. Although not all friends or GPs will be supportive, their perspective of you may help you consider all angles. The surgery which works best for you is the one which matches your body, health, and mind. For example, lap bands work well for people all over the world and so does RNY, but I couldn't get my head around having equipment inside me, restrictions on certain foods, or malabsorption.
    VSG: Good Decision, Good Health, Good Result, No Regrets.