Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 07:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Did your primary Dr sign your job leave papers for you to have surgery in Mexico?

I am so worried about whether or not my Dr will sign my papers from work so I can have this sleeve surgery done in Mexico. My insurance does not cover WLS even with the co-morbidities that I have. I also have to get cardiologist approval since I had a heart attack 2 yrs ago and have 5 stents placed. Has any one else had to go thru this? and please tell me what happened. I would like to take about 4-6 weeks off from work.

309 lbs before pre-op diet.
    297 lbs day of surgery.
    275 lbs 2/19/13 1 month post 34 lbs less!
    265 3/15/13 2 months post 44 lbs less!
    253 4/15/13 3 months post 56 lbs less!
    246 5/15/13 4 months post 63 lbs less!
    238 6/15/13 5 months post 71 lbs less!
    231 7/15/13 6 months post 78 lbs less!
    222 8/15/13 7 months post 87 lbs less!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jade
    Surgery date
    10/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-24-2013 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did your primary Dr sign your job leave papers for you to have surgery in Mexico?

I suppose it will be up to the doctors discretion as to whether he signa the note for you. I would have thought that you would obtain such a note from you GP on arrival home? Not too sure about that one? Do you work a super physical job? If it requires a lot of heavy lifting I see him writing the note, as you cannot do so for 4-6 weeks post-op. if its a desk type job you should be able to resume duties in a week or 2.
    As for the cardiologist, they do have one on site who is a part of the pre-surgery panel. You will have a few moments with him to explain your concerns and go over patient history. He will perform an ECG on you prior to surgery. And he will either sign his name having you approved for surgery or not.
    Good luck with all,
    Hope you pass your tests, and get your doctors note

Name
    Jeannie
    Surgery date
    01/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-02-2015 07:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did your primary Dr sign your job leave papers for you to have surgery in Mexico?

Thanls Jade, I was told in the initial email that I got when they approved my surgery date that I have to see my cardiologist here and have them send a letter saying it is ok to have the surgery. I just have my hopes up so high to have this surgery done, I'm afraid my Dr will say "NO" since it is in Mexico. I see you are doing well on the scale since your surgery!

309 lbs before pre-op diet.
    297 lbs day of surgery.
    275 lbs 2/19/13 1 month post 34 lbs less!
    265 3/15/13 2 months post 44 lbs less!
    253 4/15/13 3 months post 56 lbs less!
    246 5/15/13 4 months post 63 lbs less!
    238 6/15/13 5 months post 71 lbs less!
    231 7/15/13 6 months post 78 lbs less!
    222 8/15/13 7 months post 87 lbs less!

Name
    Jade
    Surgery date
    10/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-24-2013 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the accolades on the scale! Im very happy, and it still keeps comming
    Maybe go see your doctor for clearance sooner rather than later, avaoid the stress of "what if", my doctor was NOT that pleased that I was going to Mexico especialy since my ONLY reasoning was bc it was cheapest. But she supported me, all the same. I am lucky and have a great doctor who only wants the best for me. I hope your doctor is co-opperative. Maybe print some teatimonials from others and success storiea and bring them with you? Just an idea.
    But why stress, GO, find out!
    I have heard that the Jerusalem clinic is VERY quick with refunds as well, if for some reason you cannot go!
    Be thinking of you, good luck!!!

Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

my family dr. filled out my papers, and no one knew I was going to Mx, he did the papers so it looked like he did the surgery. I was glad cause I didn't want anyone to say anything about it.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos kelly
    Last Activity
    11-06-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 189 Times
    Was Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a ton of problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, gout, congestive heart failure. my dr knew that I was determinded to have the surgery cause my ins turned me down 3 times. i was able to get family medical leave, and stayed out for 4 wks. then I was egar to return to work.

Gastric Sleeve Member PlatinumPink's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones
    Last Activity
    02-27-2014 08:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this is true; but my boss told me that since my company-insurance does not cover the surgery, then they would not approve my LOA and I would have to use vacation time. I just got 3 weeks of vacation, but I'd hate to have to use 2 weeks of it to have surgery. But, because my boss said that, I've never looked any more into the LOA issue and just decided I'd use my vacation.

Surgery 4/16/13.

Gastric Sleeve Member britiajon's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 11:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

My Dr. Did sign my forms but it was turned down by my works short term disability anyways. It was considered elective unnecessary surgery.

Stupidly enough, if I had waited the 5-7 years it would have taken to have it done here in Canada, it would have been approved. Me choosing to take my health seriously and do something to improve what was quickly becoming a fast path to permanent disability was considered elective, akin to cosmetic.

Still burns my butt.
    Hit first goal of 155 at 9.5 months. Setting new goal of 145 which is less then I've ever weighed in my adult life. Woo hoo!
    Hit 2nd goal of 145 at 12 months. Room for 1 more goal, I want to be less then half the person I used to be which means 139

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Do not count on the Cardiologist at Jerusalem to clear you of any cardiac history. He only is presenting to the doctor what is going on that day. If his EKG show a previous infarction, they will want information and a clearance from your cardiologist at home. You dont want to make a trip for nothing. As far as medical leave, that's between you and your insurance carrier. They usually require two weeks off before they will even begin to pay. I went and got one of those Hopital indemity plans jst prior to getting the sleeve-you know the ones who will pay you so much per day if you are confined to a hospital for any reason or anywhere. Well, I just got my reimbursement checks for both trips to Mexico just like they promised. NOT for the time off at home just at the clinic and recovery house. Now, Im back in Tijuana for breast replacements and I will turn in a claim for this too! I mean, $125 a day is better than nothing. I dont get vacation time or insurance as I am worked on a "as needed" basis (which still comes out to fulltime!) plus I am a Veteran and go there for all my healthcare~to include aftercare for my sleeve and tummy tuck and arm lifts. They have been wonferful! Its just a shame they wouldnt pay for the sleeve surgery

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-05-2013 08:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: Did your primary Dr sign your job leave papers for you to have surgery in Mexco

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumPink View Post
    I don't know if this is true; but my boss told me that since my company-insurance does not cover the surgery, then they would not approve my LOA and I would have to use vacation time. I just got 3 weeks of vacation, but I'd hate to have to use 2 weeks of it to have surgery. But, because my boss said that, I've never looked any more into the LOA issue and just decided I'd use my vacation.
    i called disablity at my work was told doesn't matter what is covered by ins. or not and also that they would send papers to dr in mexio to fill out for leave

14. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by britiajon View Post
    My Dr. Did sign my forms but it was turned down by my works short term disability anyways. It was considered elective unnecessary surgery.

Stupidly enough, if I had waited the 5-7 years it would have taken to have it done here in Canada, it would have been approved. Me choosing to take my health seriously and do something to improve what was quickly becoming a fast path to permanent disability was considered elective, akin to cosmetic.

Still burns my butt.
    That sucks! I would appeal it for sure. Too many people just take "no" for an andwer. Get out your policy and teaf it thoroughly".