Surgeon
    Dr Moeinolmolki
    Last Activity
    11-29-2012 06:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Did anyone NOT have support at the hospital?

My boyfriend just told me that he isn't going to be able to send the day with me after surgery. He will be there for my surgery but once I get out of recovery he has to go to work. Not sure how I feel about that. Since I don't know what to expect after surgery I'm not sure if I should bother to try and find someone to stay with me or if I will be alright by myself. He will be back after work.

Any advise from my "already sleeved" friends?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member shrinkinggirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Shannon
    Surgery date
    07/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Darren Tishler
    Last Activity
    12-10-2013 06:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 114 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did anyone NOT have support at the hospital?

After the surgery, when I was in recovery, I told my Mom to and Dad to go home- I felt better by myself able to process my feelings without having to talk or feel the need to "entertain" any company. Of course everyone is completely different but I just wanted to have my hospital time be for quiet healing and only worrying about myself. I had visitors all three days I was there but they just spent an hour or so with me at a time.
    richly impatient-
    hastily, hastily turn
    toward the new day!

Gastric Sleeve Member Everdreamer's Avatar
    Name
    Gigi
    Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villareal
    Last Activity
    08-15-2016 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

You should be fine....after surgery there is not much you are going to do anyway but just rest and if you need help with getting up to use the restroom or something , you will be able to get a nurse to help you out.

Gastric Sleeve Member TonyaSitler's Avatar
    Name
    Tonya
    Surgery date
    10/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. J. Kalim
    Last Activity
    12-19-2014 09:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 134 Times
    Blog Entries

My husband and mom were there through the whole surgery and both stayed until early evening. My husband then left to get our children to see me for a few minutes. I was ok with the short amount of time spent with him and the kids, as I needed to walk and rest, not listen to my teenagers bicker. Very good luck!

Start of peo-op diet - 215 lbs
    Surgery date - 10-3-2012 weighed in at 199
    1st post-op appointment - 191

Name
    Judy
    Surgery date
    10/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Fernando Aceves
    Last Activity
    06-20-2014 12:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

You will be fine, u will need to rest and have time to think all by urself. U will be fine, trust me, I was. Good luck

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    steve
    Surgery date
    07/06/2011
    Surgeon
    dr Patel & Dr Amijani
    Last Activity
    10-21-2012 06:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

i got surgery in june 2011 not much goes on in first few weeks eating wee bits liquids etc puree foods were yuk but hat to do it hospital in scotland dundee was a waste of time i emailed diatision all the time never got replie. you will lose a good bit in fiirst few weeks but will slow down im now at the stage of wanting to east more but still only can have kids meals in resturantys etc and belive it or not i get pissed off eating as i dont enjoy any more i have lost 5 st since op but struggling now to keep off my toilet is my best freind now 30 min after i eat woosh out it comes . just enjoy the fact that it will come off now mat be slower than you want but it will come off. (steve)

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

You will be fine. The nurses will take care of you. My husband was there briefly and then he had to go home to take care of our kid. I just wanted to sleep.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ata Ahmad
    Last Activity
    11-13-2013 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Same here. My husband was there for the surgery and then went home to take care of the kids. I asked him not to stay at the hospital with me because he snored and I didn't want to hear the snoring. LOL. My mom was there the second night but I didn't need her there. I was fine getting up and going to the bathroom (had to pee a lot because of the IV). The nurses were wonderful and anytime I needed help, they would help. I even asked if I could shower the night of surgery (by myself, didn't need the help) but they said nope, not until tomorrow. The next day, I asked can I shower now? The Dr said yes and I was super happy. I showered before my husband came to visit. You can do it. It will be fine and you can definitely depend on your nurses. They are awesome.

Gastric Sleeve Member CuirousGeorge's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a friend pick me up at about 7am, took the dog to the kennel and then drive me to the hospital at about 8am om the day of my surgery, then she took off to enjoy her weekend. Intake consisted of a pee in the cup test (which I did not expect, but I guess was a requirement for any woman of child bearing age.....no immaculate conception so I was good to go) a weigh in, getting in a hospital gown, my personal items getting inventoried, and then vitals and an IV.

In pre-op when I met the anestheologist and we had a verbal review of my med history for the anesthesia I REQUESTED an anti-anxiety and got one in my IV for the 1/2 wait or so until I was on the table. I had my surgery, they called my mother to let her know I was o.k. and in recovery, at around 10:30am. I was in recovery for a LONG time as they didn't have a room for me until after their 'lunch' break and checks. I had gotten up and gone to the bathroom within an hour of being out of surgery. The recovery room was VERY LOUD and I was definitely not able to sleep (or it could have been me coming out of the drugs) I was moved to a private room at around 1:30pm where I had my cell phone and callled/texted various people, but mostly slept or walked the halls (to get rid of the surgical gas)

The nursing staff I had was very professional and checked on me frequently through that evening. I kept waking up though and every time I was awake I carted that IV poll and walked the halls. Finally at 2 am the nursing staff said I didn't get to walk anymore until morning. I had pain meds when I needed them. I had anti-nauseua medicine and was in minimal discomfort. At 10 am the next morning (about 24 hours after surgery) the surgeon visited me. I couldn't be released until I 'passed gas, or had a b.m. AND was able to keep down fluids. They brought me a bariatric protein shake (ICK! but I got about 1/2 of it down and it stayed down) So at about 1pm they started my discharge papers. I called my friend and she came to pick me up at about 2pm.

The big thing I hadn't thought about was that my friend had to come to the room to get me, as I couldn't carry my overnight bag (it was over the weight I was to carry...nothing over 5lbs, as per my surgeon, but all surgeons are different, until the 2 week checkup) We went to the Petsmart hotel to pick up my dog who had play day, kennel overnight, a bath and nails ground. I was home before 3:30pm.

I had an excellent experience all the way around and was able to contact my loved ones as soon as I was in my room. I know each person is different and their experiences to surgery would be different. This is just my story. BIG THING FOR ME was requesting that anti-anxiety from the anesthesiologist. I think it made a big difference for me. I have had a good recovery with just a bit of a struggle at the beginning of week 3 when I pushed my body too far too fast and had an issue with dehydration/ vomiting.....After surgery I was content to be ALONE, because when I don't feel well I like to be left alone. I am one of those do not touch me, look at me, let me curl up in a ball kind of girls. If you know your boyfriend will be returning after work, and have a time frame for that , it will give you a goal to get out of bed and walk a bit before he gets there.....to be sitting upright in your bed a bit. As long as you do not have any complications with surgery (which is possible with anyone as this is a major surgery) you should be fine.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member rk cant wait's Avatar
    Name
    Regina
    Surgery date
    09/07/2012
    Surgeon
    DR. JAMES CLASSEN
    Last Activity
    06-11-2013 01:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone is different but, I told my husband he could leave the hospital after I got into my room if he wanted to because I knew things at work was not going good. But, thats me when I'm sick or recovering I don't want anyone there with me I'd rather be by myself as long as I could get up and fix my meals and stuff. Which I had no problem doing after surgery. The night of my surgery I was walking around the hospital with an aide walking beside me. I stayed 2 nights and had no one stay with me. My husband and kids came for a little while the day after surgery and left which was fine with because all i did was sleep, drink my meals, go to bathroom and walk. So it just depends on you how you feel. Good luck to you
    lost 10lbs on pre op diet rest is since surgery on 09-0712

Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

You will probably be pretty groggy and wont miss him for that short time. When my daughter had her WLS I just dropped her off at the hospital and went home to take care of her son. Her surgeon called me as soon as the op was over (like he said he would) to tell me every thing went well. Then DD called 3 hrs later and told me not to bother driving in to visit because she was fine and the pain meds kept her sleepy and she probably wouldn't even know if I was there. I did go in as soon as visiting hrs started the next morning and spent the day until time for her son to get out of school.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

I just asked my husband cause I wasn't sure when he was there and not exactly. To be honest, I don't remember all that much about the time he was with me the first evening after surgery. I remember that he was there, but mostly I was kind of drifting in and out of sleep. I was more awake in the middle of the night when he wasn't there, and then the main thing I remember is how great the nurses were - so attentive and gentle. It was nice to see him on and off, but I was fine on my own for long periods of time.

Name
    Francesca
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Simon Dexter
    Last Activity
    09-20-2013 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,721 Times
    Blog Entries

My mum came with me to the hospital & left when I went down for surgery. I was on my own other than hospital staff until I went home. I was only in for 2 nights. ICU the first night & the next day I was walking around as much as possible. I never really thought about it till now. I has a great stay in hospital I had 2 private nurses, 1 for ICU & 1 for my room. Orderlies were always nipping in so I wasn't alone as such, still had my privacy.

Twitter - @GoldieLookinF

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Hmmm I haven't really thoguht about it till you brought it up. My dad is taking me to the hospital but I dont know if he is sticking around or what. I guess he most likely will cause he's dad. He will bring my son up later to see me. Otherwise, I dont know. I know when I don't feel good or whatever I prefer to be by myself and just relax and sleep and do what i'm supposed to do. I hope it works out the way you want it too.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

My mother traveled with me to Mexico and stayed with me th entire time-a bed was in the hospital room for her. I wouldn't have had it any other way, but that's just me. I just feel like when I'm in pain and drugged up I want someone there with me in case the nurses are too busy to come to me right when I need them. I have also found that hospital staffs care for me better when someone is there with me. If your boyfriend can't stay then maybe someone else could go with you.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center