10/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stanley Hoehn
    Last Activity
    06-06-2016 02:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 38 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 62 Times

Default Post Op and Swallowing Pills and Allergies - Questions from a Newbie

Hi everyone! Well, I'm very excited! My surgery date has been scheduled for 10/29/12. Finally! I do have a couple questions with regard to taking prescription medications shortly after surgery. How did you all do with swallowing pills right after surgery? I have some prescription meds that I need take on a daily basis. 2 small pills for allergies, 1 small pill for high blood pressure and 2 other pills that are regular sized capsules (not small, but not large, either). Were you able to swallow them beginning the day after surgery? If not, how long did it take before you could swallow pills? I plan to ask my surgeon these questions during my pre-op appointment in a couple of weeks, but I still like to hear from experienced sleevers.

My other question is for those who struggle with allergies and who have been sleeved for awhile. As you have lost weight, did you find that your allergies and/or colds, sinus infections, etc. decreased? I've heard a couple of people mention this. All I can say is that I didn't used to have any allergies and it seems the more I would weigh, the more allergies, colds and sinus infections I would have to deal with. I realize our immune system changes over time as well. In any case, I'd be interested in your feedback.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great start to the week!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr TALBOT
    Last Activity
    02-20-2014 08:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 261 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Post Op and Swallowing Pills and Allergies - Questions from a Newbie

I take about 6 tablets, all different sizes, if they can be broken in 2 I do, otherwise I just swallow 2 at a time with no problems.I have since I was sleeved near a month ago now.

Name
    Jill
    Surgery date
    10/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 569 Times in 561 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Default Re: Post Op and Swallowing Pills and Allergies - Questions from a Newbie

Just today I asked my doctor this. One of my meds is very small, like baby aspirin size. The other is a capsule with plastic coating. He said I would not take them the day of surgery or the day after. But when I got home I could take them both. I asked if I needed to open the capsule and said no because it would dissolve quickly. but he said if there were bigger I would need to cut them up or crush them to be smaller.

Start weight: 286 (8/28/12)
    Pre-op weight: 272 (10/22/12)
    Goal to weigh what my drivers license says: 225 (3/9/13)
    First goal weight: 199 (7/20/13)
    Second goal weight: 186 - 100 lbs lost ( )
    Third goal weight: 175 ( )
    Fourth goal weight: 150 ( )
    Final goal weight: remains to be seen

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Buffy
    Surgery date
    12/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Mann
    Last Activity
    10-09-2012 11:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

My Dr had me crush the pills until 2 mo. but you will be surprised I was on 2 meds just for B/P and the day of surgery my Dr told me to stop taking them. Since the day of my surgery till now 10 mo later my B/P went from avg of 190/100 to avg 130/78.
    They probley will take you immed off them as it automatically comes way down.

Gastric Sleeve Member carolann35's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Thomas Bass
    Last Activity
    11-02-2013 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Thanks for asking and answering this question. I have surgery in 2 weeks and was planning to ask my Dr on Tuesday at my pre-op appointment.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Erik Wlison
    Last Activity
    07-22-2013 08:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 91 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 152 Times

For the first month or so I had to take my pills with applesauce. It apparently makes pills easier to swallow. Also if the pill was larger than the tip of your pinky it had to be cut in half. Now, almost 3 months out I can take any pill with just a sip of water. I actually take 3 of my pills at once, as they are all tiny.