Dr. Stephen Merola
    Last Activity
    03-02-2014 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Unable to eat or drink 3 mos post-op

Hello all,

I had the sleeve surgery on 5/29/12 and was doing very well for the first 3 weeks. Suddenly, I developed abdominal pain and nausea. I was admitted because I wasn't able to eat or drink, upper GI tests were normal and I was sent home. Ever since that admission I have been unable to tolerate anything thicker than water. Within the last two weeks,I've lost the ability to drink water.

I've been vomiting and have had to have a PICC line place in order to receive hydration and nutrition. Another admission and more tests show that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the surgery or the stomach, but the doctors have no idea why I can't drink or eat anything. Has anyone experienced any symptoms like these after having a sleeve gastrectomy? Please write back if you have or know anyone who has had issues like these, we are desperate for answers.

Thanks,

Franklin

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Curtis Peery
    Last Activity
    05-11-2019 12:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to eat or drink 3 mos post-op

Really sorry to read this Franklin - let us know if the cause is found since it may help another sleever. I will pray for you!

Name
    Francesca
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Simon Dexter
    Last Activity
    09-20-2013 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,721 Times
    Blog Entries

I can't remember what it was called but someone blogged about this last week. It turned out that the bit (valve?) that is from the bottom of your stomach going to first part of bowel was very tight and needed dilating & stretching a bit.

I'm sorry I can't remember what it was called but someone else is having similar problems

Twitter - @GoldieLookinF

Surgery date
    09/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weaver
    Last Activity
    01-27-2013 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to say that there is someone in my local support group that is having this problem. They have decided that it is psycholgical and she is being treated for it. She goes to a class with other people with eating disorders and eats with them (as best she can) and other forms of activities designed to get past this. She is doing better but it is a long, slow process. I hope this helps.

Gastric Sleeve Member overweighttoolong's Avatar
    Name
    Nancy Hellman
    Surgery date
    06/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Trevedi
    Last Activity
    05-02-2014 09:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 121 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 214 Times
    Blog Entries

Franklin,
    I could have written your post verbatem. I had the sleeve done June 19th, and July 12th started vomiting whatever I ate. I had 2 lengthy hospital admissions, with multiple tests done and "there was no mechanial reason found for the vomiting" translation no strictures or twisting or anything of the sort. I too now have a PICC line for 12 hour daily TPN infusions for nutrition. I went to the gastroenterologist last Friday who diagnosed me with post-surgical gastroparesis (inability of the food to move through the stomach and through the intestines as it is supposed to do). There are 2 medications that can be used to treat this problem. The one drug I am allergic to and the other drug is only available from Canada, so the doctor and I are pursueing getting the med from Canada. If you have further questions feel free to private message me.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member overweighttoolong's Avatar
    Name
    Nancy Hellman
    Surgery date
    06/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Trevedi
    Last Activity
    05-02-2014 09:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 121 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 73 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 214 Times
    Blog Entries

what I should have also said was that the gastro doc said that this post-surgical gastroparesis can happen after any surgery, he has seen it after thoracic surgery as well as heart by-pass surgery, it does not mean that anything at all went wrong with the surgery, the nerves and muscle necessary for the motility just haven't "woken up yet" and that is what the meds will help with.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-26-2014 10:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

I am new to this site all though I did not have this surgery I did have the lap-band. Any way my daughter has had this surgery and is right now in the hospital for the 3rd time with these same symptoms. The doctor has no ideal what is going on with her. So thank you all for posting this gives me hope that together we will find out what is going on. As for the one that posted a poss. pill that may help I would like to know the name of the meds. I have passed on this site to my daughter in hopes that by showing her doctor he will go forward and work on a plan to fix this. Will keep you updated, thanks again

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen Merola
    Last Activity
    03-02-2014 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi Laterdog,

I'm very sorry to hear that your daughter has been having these issues. I kow just how fustrating it is to be sick and not have a clear idea of why. In my case, i was in the hospital four times for a total of six weeks spent inside. During the last admission, about two weeks ago; the GI doctor performed another endoscopy and found I had a tear in my esophagus due to the vomitting. He also found inflamation from my esophagus down to my duodenum. I have an extra pocket on my stomach that has developed from scar tissue and the GI doctor believes this is what is causing the inflamation and some of the pain.

The medical doctors put me on two meds that have helped, the pills are Regulan and Compazine. Regulan helps to reactivate your GI track when it becomes paralyzed. This is very common after a gastrectomy, the nerves and the stomach are hurt and they just stop working. If the doctors haven't done so already, ask them to put your daughter on Regulan, it may help. Plus have them check for tears in her esophagus and scar tissue in her stomach. It sounds odd, but the surgeons tend to focus on obstructions and strictures and other things that are mechanically wrong with the surgery and never look at the side effects of having 80 percent of your stomach removed. I hope this helps. Please keep me posted, i'll forward any new information that I get to you.

Franklin

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Franklin thank you so much this has helped, her doctor will be in to see her today and with this new info maybe we will get some where. I will keep you posted.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    01-30-2013 07:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Have you gotten well? My mother is experiencing a similar issue. Had the GS done on Oct. 1, 2012 and has been hospitalized 4 times for dehydration, low potassium and vomiting. She's also had a PICC line 2x. I'm trying to find something she can drink. She complains about a low tolerance to water and mostly all drinks being to sweet (e.g. crystal light). Please provide me some insight on your status.

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

I have read others who complained about this. You are not alone in this. Hope your doctor can help you.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member teresaloves2trvl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brad Snyder
    Last Activity
    01-03-2016 04:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am afraid I may be headed down the same road. Have already been re-admitted once for dehydration and I am still having issues. I can still drink water, thankfully, but not enough. And I tend to get a very uncomfortable full feeling that makes me stop drinking. Please update us on what happened.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hi still working through the issues now 6 months later... My daughter said to try water down apple juice... We have found that her sleeve is too narrow they are just now putting a balloon in there to streach the stomach... Push your dr. hard they have let her go so long with out food or water and she now can not walk due to a lack of b1 and b6 vitamin. Try to make sure that your mother take vitamins any way she can get them...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-03-2019 03:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hello,
    I had a gastric sleeve with severe complications. Woke up from surgery and could not drink or eat anything. I have been on jtube for nutrition for 2 1/2 years. If you have had the same complications please let me know how your are doing or coping. For the others that have posted in this feed, your doctor may not have told you your Vagus Nerve was cut or damaged. Would love to hear from anyone that has experienced this. Thank you.

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Quote Originally Posted by teresaloves2trvl View Post
    I am afraid I may be headed down the same road. Have already been re-admitted once for dehydration and I am still having issues. I can still drink water, thankfully, but not enough. And I tend to get a very uncomfortable full feeling that makes me stop drinking. Please update us on what happened.
    So this can develop many months after surgery? I note you had surgery in 2013.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast