Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-23-2012 09:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Bad Pain - Reality Check Needed

Hey folks. I am 6 weeks out from my surgery. Been pretty good with my diet up until now - I thought. No energy to speak of, I am just getting by I suppose.

Recently I started adding a few bites of "real food" into my meals. As in 2 or 3 small bites of a sandwich usually without the bread (I only tried this twice!). I was just trying to get away from the same old same old. But whenever I eat something that is solid, even if it is very well chewed I really pay for it afterwards with pain and cramping. It feels like all the blood in my body has gone to my stomach to just grind away on what I ate. It is horrible!

I always thought that we could eat whatever we wanted after surgery but in much smaller portions. Isn't this true?

The worst was on Saturday. I took my wife to a restaurant I mistakenly tried some steak! Now I only had 3 bites of well chewed steak, and also a little salad and some well cooked veggies. All in all it was a small amount of food eaten very slowly. I felt fine... until after I left and was driving. That dreaded "Heck No!" feeling hit me and I almost blacked out while I was driving. Literally! I had to pull over into a parking lot and suffered through 30 minutes of pain until it resided - then I was fine.

Has anyone else felt this type of pain where you feel close to blacking out? So obviously I am messing up. Am I really that daft? Did I just fool myself into thinking I could "eat normal" but small?

If I stick to soup, yogurt, cooked veggies and most salads I am fine. Is this my destiny?

Please set me straight! Thanks for you help!

- Ken

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLacey's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Yu
    Said "Thanks" 294 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 105 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad Pain - Reality Check Needed

i'm not sure about this.I'm almost 6 weeks out & I do eat what I want mostly. If my tummy has a problem it comes right back up. I've eaten a lil bit of steak. I've eaten sushi. I've never really felt actual pain in my tummy though. Just soreness which I'm still feeling from straining a lot. I've been sneezing a lot lately so it's a painful experience. I to have no energy & I hate it! Maybe in time things will change. Best of luck to you!

Name
    Caroline Cooper
    Surgery date
    04/11/2012
    Surgeon
    dr almanza
    Last Activity
    12-07-2012 03:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Hi, i had my surgery back in April and I had a lot of trouble with food. I didn't get to eating solids until about 2 months post op. Even though it has been over 3 months with my surgery, I find i am still having trouble with food. I still can't eat steak. It all takes time and you have to pace yourself. Somedays will be better than others. I hate that i can't eat and drink at the same time. it is painfull. I think you should try going back to full liquids for a week and try introducing food again. I started with crackers and popcorn. Hope you feel better.
    Caroline

Gastric Sleeve Member angelamarie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/20/2012
    Last Activity
    07-29-2013 11:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I am just over a month out and I have been eating "regular" food. Have you talked to your doctor? The pain doesn't sound right, as bad as you are describing. Some gas pain I might expect, but I would think you should be able to eat some food by now. I would stay away from the kernels in the popcorn for a while though. What does go down good, anything?

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Obviously, something is NOT RIGHT. Maybe call your doctor???

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-24-2012 11:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Msvetrn View Post
    Obviously, something is NOT RIGHT. Maybe call your doctor???

I second Msvetrn's suggestion. I'm only 5 days out anyway, so not much help being on full-liquid diet at moment...for next 2 weeks...grrr. Pray you get better with this soon though.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-13-2014 03:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times

I am 3 1/2 mos out...I can eat anything...bread is slightly uncomfortable, but that's it. Everyone is different...it should get better, but a call to the Doc is in order just in case!

Name
    Lee Ann
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Davidson
    Last Activity
    10-23-2016 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

I looked up your showing 6 weeks out if I'm right. My dr gave me this very detailed book and it says soft foods through six weeks and then introduce regular food on the 7th week. My dr just said it takes time for your tummy to get adjusted. I hope all is fine. I would see a dr just to have them check everything is fine though.
    “It’s not the mistakes in life that are important; it’s what we learn from them.” ~Donna Guthrie

Preop 17 pounds lost
    The rest is all surgery baby :-)
    My sleeve is my new best friend

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Mama
    Surgery date
    06/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr A Belkouchi
    Last Activity
    08-02-2012 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am exactly 30 days post op, yesterday I ate solid food for the first time, the soft boiled egg wen down ok, no real issues other than the usual cramping from swallowing, but my daughter was so excited that mama could eat she gave me one of her french fries, oh lord did that hurt, and the pain stayed till I had my nightly cup of hot tea, is that normal? How long is this going to last? I was exhausted from trying to eat yesterday that I decided to stay on liquids a bit longer, I think I might incoporate a few bites here and there but soft foods and liquids seems to be best right now. Is anyone a few months down the line from me able to tell me if the pain went away after a while or does it linger? How long until I can have brocolli again? I really miss brocolli

Hello fourm friends, I had a gastric sleeve 06/27/12 to correct a bad gastric binding done in 2002. Since then I have expierenced very bad vomiting, including blood, displacement of my stomach and constant fear of eating as well as the inability to eat most healthy fiber rich foods like raw veggies, grain,meat, rice, pasta, and anything acidic. My hope for my new stomach is that I can now eat healthy foods without fear.