Dr. Charles Schwartz
    Last Activity
    01-02-2013 01:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Weightloss slows down at 2nd week

I think I figured out why some of us stop loosing weight after the 2nd week. The first week I dropped 18 pounds. From May 29th to June 5th, I have only lost 2 pounds. I think it's because at the 2nd week after surgery, we start drinking protein shakes and all those vitamins. I'm at my 3rd week, PHASE III and I'm still on full liquids and Gerber Baby Food, one per day. I'm not eating scrambled eggs or cottage cheese yet; I choose not to. Maybe that's why our weight loss slows down. The only difference for me, between my first week out and this 3rd week, is that now I'm taking my protein and supplements. Could that be? Now that I'm fully recovered, I'm focusing on my weight and I have stopped. I know a lot of us sleevers go through that, but is that the reason why we stop so soon?? Any one else stopped at week 2?

Also, what are good recipes or food items that I should be eating already?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weightloss slows down at 2nd week

The body has to have time to adjust, no two ways about it. You just can't go on dropping that weight each day. Compare it to yourself when you need sleep. You can't go without it and survive. I think it might be time for you to try to eat some mushy foods now. I too stalled after the inital weight loss and it wasn't until I increased my calories that I began to drop again. It's trial and error but don't be afraid to eat real food. NOT eating can get us into trouble. Glad to hear you're being cautious though and getting all your supplements in to. I haven't been so great with that. Much continued success.

Gastric Sleeve Member Chief_Geek's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wisbach
    Last Activity
    07-19-2012 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

Last week at our monthly support group meeting we talked about that very same topic. Our Nut told us that most VSG will stop losing weight around the 3 week time frame for a couple of reasons. First the body is rejesting it’s self in that it fighters to hold onto it fat cells as long as possible. Another reason for the slowdown is the addition of the calcium supplement, as this will make most of us become constipated and is from what they call colonic slow transit. As for myself I had to add a fiber supplement to counter this and get thing moving again. Which I use Target’s Fiber Gummies which are really tasty and I use them as my sweet tooth relief everyday as I have 4 or 5 of them every day and spread them out over the course of the day. So I have added 25gr of fiber to my diet to counter the calcium’s effects.

I am starting month 4 and now down to between 1 to 2 pounds lose each week, so you will slow down in the weigh lose department. It’s only normal for your body to fight to keep those each fat cells as long as possible. A little more exercise is needed to keep it moving is what I have found.

Good luck in your efforts and keep us posted!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Patching
    Last Activity
    01-20-2014 09:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Water weight also has a lot to do with it. You probably lost a lot of water weight the first week. Do yourself a favor and throw your scale away or have someone hide it from you. You have enough head games going on without the numbers on the scale playing in. You will lose weight, it will come off.

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    05/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Charles Schwartz
    Last Activity
    01-02-2013 01:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, as soon as my drain tube hole closes and heals, I will begin walking and bike riding. Also, I too have been constipated. Very uncomfortable. I will take your advice and buy fiber gummies. I think I will also begin to eat a little.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Earl Noyan
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Every body is different.
    I lost weight consistantly up until the 5th month, then it stopped. I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks even though I'm still eating properly and exercising. I am going to keep at it though..........I did great for the first 5 months, so I'm ahead of the game.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kelin
    Surgery date
    05/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Posner
    Last Activity
    08-19-2012 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

Fiber gummies, I must get them. I try not to get on a scale. I wait until I go to an appointment so it is not all I am focusing on.

Gastric Sleeve Member yadayadayada77's Avatar
    Name
    Kelli
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Gonzales
    Last Activity
    01-12-2015 11:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

I stopped at 10 days and it lasted for 3 weeks before it just started moving again this weekend. I try to stay off the scale except once a week, but sometimes the temptation is too much! I am focusing on getting all my protein in and trying to make sure I drink enough because this seems to be the key that has worked for others. I don't expect a super rapid loss, but it is nice to see the scale going the right way! If you can try different foods and are hungry for them, I would go ahead and try them. I think it just moves differently for all of us and I have to keep the faith that the "seasoned sleevers" of this site know what they are talking about and the weight will eventually start dropping again as long as I am following the plan and exercising! Since you are less than a month out, there isn't concern of you eating too many calories - but it is great if you are getting in your protein and vitamins..I still struggle with that! Here is a great site for some wonderful recipes using eggs and ricotta cheese theworldaccordingtoeggface: Ricotta & Resolutions
    Kelli