Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Last Activity
    04-06-2011 10:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Any weight regain problems?

Hi,
    Im a candidate for surgery and am deciding which one to choose. I have heard that many gastric bypass people gain their weight back. Im a sweet eater and eat a lot. I aim leaning toward the sleeve but cant find any info on weather sleever patients have struggled with gaining most or all of their weight back. I have heard a lot of conflicting messages about lap banders and I am not sure which one to choose. Is it true that after a few years the stomach expands and its easy to slip back into weight gain?
    I know I need to change my eating habits and have done so with many diets...failed.
    Any advice?

Anyone struggling with controlling their food intake once sleeved? After several years?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nancy
    Surgery date
    08/24/2010
    Last Activity
    05-04-2011 01:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 107 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

Default Re: Any weight regain problems?

Hi, I am/was a sweet eater and ate a lot. I was sleeved 6 1/2 months ago and am down 64lbs. There is no WLS that you can not sabotage they are all tools and you still have to do some work. I still exercise regularly. I can eat way too much of sweets and still have to steer away from them I can eat crackers and chips and not feel much of a restriction slider foods as they are called in the sleeve community are the devil. Does that mean I never have any no but when I do indulge I eat them with filling protein foods. I also help curb my sweet tooth with sugar free pudding that I add a scoop of protein to. I monitor my calorie intake. But it is alot easier after surgery to stick to it. I never feel hunger. I have no real interest anymore in bread something I loved. I feel full after eating smaller meals which helps before surgery I rarely felt full and could eat * a lot* and did because unless I felt full I felt I had not eaten so I would try and stick to one meal a day a 2000+ calorie meal. Now I am happy with three small meals and two snacks a day 1000 - 1200 calories a day.

5. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    04-10-2012 09:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

The taste of a lot of foods changed for me...especially sweets. I was a chocoholic...big time, and sour candy!! But now, I can't eat the sour candy at all...and I have no cravings for chocolate. It's really strange how your taste buds change....but like the person above said, the sleeve is a tool.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    04-22-2012 03:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 338 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

Yes, as others have said, a sleeve is just a tool. I still have a chocolate thing going on right now, but I need so little of anything sweet to get satisfied that I can eat a normal amount.

A sleeve is as easy to cheat as any other weight loss surgery. Drinking your calories would be the easiest way with a sleeve, which is similar to a band. Also, you don't get the "dumping" you get with high fat foods and the bypass, so you can in theory eat really crappy.

The advantage, as stream pointed out, is that most people experience a big shift in their tastes. Lots of people go off chocolate. I haven't gone off chocolate drinks, but I have gone off solid chocolate. I haven't had a candy bar or any solid chocolate yet. The closest I got was I had a chocolate chip cookie yesterday. Well 3/4 of a cookie and then it just turned disgusting and I threw away the last 1/4. Before I would have eaten the whole bag. It is very liberating.

But if you plan to fail with a sleeve, you will. Plain and simple.

9. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank you all. I really hope my tastes change. I have my appointment with the surgeon this Thursday. He mentioned the sleeve as preferable than the lap band for me. Just wanted to find out what those of you who have had it experience.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

By the way..I could never imagine just eating 3/4th of a cookie and getting sick off it. I usually eat a whole box and probably a couple of donuts too.

Surgery date
    02/10/2011
    Last Activity
    04-22-2012 03:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 338 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 90 Times

I know it sounds strange, but Kutssa, I used to down a whole family size bag of peanut M&Ms and then go look for something else to eat. For me, it was that dramatic. I have been nursing 1/2 litre of chocolate milk for 3 days now and I am only about 1/2 way through.

I had 3/4 of a slice of pizza for lunch. (I know this isn't sounding like the most healthy diet, but it was a special celebration) I didn't want any more. I was totally happy. Crazy, I know. Before I would eat a whole pizza and probably have some boneless chicken wings too.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    di
    Surgeon
    Dr Chaudri
    Last Activity
    07-13-2014 08:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times

Kutssa, I also have a major fear of regain, especially after the "honeymoon period" (12 to 18 months). My SIL had the RNY, lost 200 and gained it back, so our fear is real.

I have not missed a day logging onto my 2 favorite sites for support. These sites have helped me more than anything so far. I'm 15 weeks out and have lost 60 lbs since pre-op.

Even though I don't post often, I firmly believe if I stay in touch with the support group, it will reinforce my lifestyle change. Someone has to hold me accountable. This group has offered me so much information, support, and friendship. It's like family.
    tnx, di

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Harsha Chandraratna
    Last Activity
    04-15-2014 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

Hi kutssa, I was sleeved last May and my surgeon was quite sure my new stomach wouldn't increase. I've been very lucky and have had a dream run. I reached my goal just before Christmas (minus 84 pounds) and have settled into an eating pattern which is satisfying to me and I'm now eating more or less (with the emphasis on the less) what I want. Like others here my wants, needs tastes etc have changed and now I am at goal I'm determined to hang around the same weight. That alone is a huge incentive. Good luck - I hope you choose the right way for you.
    Norm.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/01/2010
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 255 Times in 129 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 221 Times

What will keep you from gaining weight back is exercise. You can eat most foods with moderation, even chocolate and as long as you exercise you will work it out.
    Don't ever stop exercising. Don't drink your calories, stay away from those delicious frozen coffee drinks or shakes and from all carbonated drinks.
    I snack on unsalted peanuts, walnuts, almonds and that gives me the same energy and sensation of chocolate.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Did the doctors tell anyone to go on a special way of eating or to just follow something like weight watchers...etc. Im noticing a lot of talk of eating protein first... Do the doctors give examples of foods that fit that category? Special meals?