Dr. Redmann
    Last Activity
    10-21-2012 11:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hypoglycemia symptoms??

Has anyone experienced symptoms of hypoglycemia? I read today that it is common in people who lose weight rapidly.

The reason I ask is because lately I've been so tired and I get an average of 8 hours of sleep a night. When I was only a few weeks post-op and having this problem the doctor told me to eat more protein, but I'm getting in around 80-90 grams of protein a day and my blood work showed that I was getting enough as well, so I know that that is no longer the problem. I'm also slightly anemic and have a low vitamin B level but I take an iron chewable, a sublingual B12, and a B complex every day as my vitamin routine. I don't want to tell a doctor that I'm tired, mainly because it seems like all they do these days is jump to the first conclusion of depression. Which I am not depressed, that much I do know.

Today I started to get really tired, my face got flush, my heart started beating rapidly, and my hands were shaking uncontrollably (and no, there was no hot guy in the vicinity lol). It had been about 3 hours since I had eaten lunch so I ate a protein bar, but it only got worse. So then I thought maybe my blood sugar was down (this is not the first time this has happened), so I drank an Ocean Spray juice which has like 57 grams of sugar. I felt a little bit better, but still not quite right. Finally I tried the good ole peppermint trick and I finally felt back to normal after about 10 minutes. When I got home I actually took my blood sugar and it was well within normal range.

I plan on talking to my doctor when I go for my 4 month post-op appointment in May, but I wanted to know first if anyone else has had this problem and what you've done to take care of it??

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/28/2012
    Surgeon
    dr josh roller
    Last Activity
    03-30-2015 03:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hypoglycemia symptoms??

I am extremely tired all the time but I am only 4 weeks post op, so I'm hoping it gets better. At work today I almost feel asleep & had to come home at noon just to lay my head down for 30 mins to be able to make it through the day! My theory is we were so used to sugar & caffeine pre op then after surgery our sugar & caffeine intake is literally zero! Do you walk or get any kind of exercise? They say walking helps which I agree.. This has been such a trial & error for me. Still learning everyday!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Robert Marvin
    Last Activity
    11-17-2012 10:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

How about you iron intake. My daughter is anemic so the doctor has prescribed iron tablets, twice a day.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-21-2012 02:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

You can purchase a glucose meter and check your blood sugar, can pick one up for $20.00 or less! Everytime you don't feel good check it and record all info, time date what the reading is and how your feeling! Then give to your doctor for review

Name
    Val
    Surgery date
    01/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 556 Times
    Was Thanked 320 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14,570 Times
    Blog Entries

I was hypo pre-op. Now, my levels are always perfect. It's weird to have spent most of my life having to worry about my levels dropping too low and now not having to worry about it at all. Being hypo is not fun. (BTW, I have heard of people w/the bypass becoming reactive hypo post-op which is one of the many reasons why I chose the sleeve.) Best wishes!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tina
    Surgery date
    04/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Robert li
    Last Activity
    04-09-2013 07:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 248 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,883 Times
    Blog Entries

I know my hormones have gone pretty wacky from my surgery and also I am finding my body is telling me to drink more water. Maybe its part hormones and needing more iron. I would give a call to the doctor just to be safe. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-21-2013 11:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I have type II. Been off meds for 4 months but still get hypoglycemic from time to time - feels like shit. Prob partly due to drinking alcohol at night. You need to test yourBS as you/re getting sickly to see where it's at. I carry some glucosetabs in the car and have a couple if I need to - but it still takes about 20 minutes to recover.

Name
    Eric
    Surgery date
    04/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hill
    Last Activity
    04-06-2014 07:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

My wife has issue with low blood sugar since her procedure 6 years ago. It can be dangerous so I think you should contact your doc sooner than later. Her symptoms sound like yours and for several years now we carry a meter and a glucose loaded syringe all the time. if it gets below 40 she will pass out. She did not have the sleeve but a different procedure. Getting a meter is a real good idea and that hot guy you mentioned to hold it for you.