06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 109 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 289 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dr Almanza

Thank you so VERY much for the encouragement & advise. Best wishes for contined success on your journey and a wonderful, healthy life. Keep on posting, you are helping many others, aside from me! Terry

<a href="http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=106154">Mr. Rebates</a>

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member MrsPiggy549's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoPossum View Post
    I am having my surgery with Dr. Almanza on Wednesday May 4th and it can't get here fast enough...I will post on how it went when I get home the following Saturday ok.

Oh and to MrsPiggy...yes I am flying from Florida to San Diego with a stopover in Atlanta. Hopefully the connecting flights terminal wont be too far away or else I will simply ask for golf cart assistance.
    Best wishes for your trip and surgery. Be sure to keep posting; I'm sorta living through you, right now! Terry

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member ranchersdaughter's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-11-2012 09:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 229 Times
    Was Thanked 193 Times in 98 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 251 Times

Hi and welcome to the family!

I'm 20 days post op from Jerusalem Clinic with Dr. Almanza. I loved the whole experience!! They are extremely competent, professional and skilled. They take extremely good care of you!

We flew with a layover in phoenix. However, I know a couple drove from Arkansas, they both had the surgery and drove back that week!

You'll be fine! Congratulations on your decision! I only wish I'd made mine sooner!!!

Christal

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tye
    Surgery date
    04/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 08:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I am also 6 day Post Op and my surgery was done by Dr. Mario Almanza. One of the things that worried some of the other patients was that Jerusalem Hospital is a small clinic. The clinic is equivalent to a surgical center here in the states. Let me assure you that it was kept up very, very well. The employees were constantly cleaning and making sure that the facility was immaculate. The service was awesome. Everyone was friendly and answered all the many questions I had. Once at the recovery house, we had 24 hour care. When I got home I had a fever and was feeling really sick. My husband called Louise (the coordinator) and she told us what to do. My fever was down within a few hours and I have been doing great ever since. So all of that being sd, I want to encourage all of you that are going to have your surgery done through Jerusalem Hospital with Dr. Almanza. You are in great hands. Dr. Andres Bentacourt is the owner of the hospital and his brother Juan Bentacourt is the VP. They make sure that everything you need (even a ride into town to get souvenirs or ingredients for soup) is done and done right. Good LUCK!!

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Again, I want to thank everybody for their encouraging posts. I can hardly wait to be on the other side of the conversation and be the one telling others how simple the surgery & post op was! I still have a few questions: Is a protein shake considered a clear liquid? I've read about people drinking them both pre & post op! Clothing to pack: What is most comfortable to wear post op? Do they give you hospital gowns to sleep in or do I need PJ's? Did you actually feel well enough to go shopping? I LOVE shopping! Also, is it possible to swallow a small capsule, post op? I do take some Rx meds. Thanks!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tye
    Surgery date
    04/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 08:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

MrsPiggy, I don't think it is considered a clear liquid but if you can tolerate it you should be ok to have it. I couldn't tolerate a protein shake until yesterday. I brought all sweat suits. Stretch fabric. I wanted to be as comfortable as possible. They were cotton so they were breathable. I also got a few tank tops to go under them. The weather was pretty cool in Mexico when I was there last week so I would advise to check to make sure it won't be really warm. Just be comfortable. They do give you hospital gowns. You won't need anything to sleep in until you get to the recovery house. I did feel well enough to go shopping but not for hours. It was about an hour or two and we were right back at the house. Walking is good and encouraged. The only pill that I have issues swallowing right now is the antibiotic they prescribed. It's big and it taste HORRIBLE (so I can't crush it). The problem is if you HAVE to take the pill with water because big gulps hurt. I hope this helps. OH and if you have your own pain meds, I would probably take them with. What they had was ok but I wish I had my percocets or viocadin. Some peoples threshold for pain is higher than others. I was in more pain than some of my fellow friends. Better to be over prepared than under right!

Gastric Sleeve Member Minnie Mouse's Avatar
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-10-2012 05:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Was Thanked 206 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 225 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPiggy549 View Post
    Again, I want to thank everybody for their encouraging posts. I can hardly wait to be on the other side of the conversation and be the one telling others how simple the surgery & post op was! I still have a few questions: Is a protein shake considered a clear liquid? I've read about people drinking them both pre & post op! Clothing to pack: What is most comfortable to wear post op? Do they give you hospital gowns to sleep in or do I need PJ's? Did you actually feel well enough to go shopping? I LOVE shopping! Also, is it possible to swallow a small capsule, post op? I do take some Rx meds. Thanks!
    MrsPiggy...Your surgery is above your waistline, so you can wear every day, comfortable clothing. You will wear a hospital gown at the hospital but need a nightgown at the guesthouse. I felt good enough to go downtown to the dentist and go shopping for about an hour the next day after surgery. I didn't have much pain just gas for a couple of days after. I didn't need any pain medicine once I left the hospital. I had to crush my meds to swallow them. The protein shakes I started drinking with 1% milk after I got home(homemade in my blender) for two weeks and then drank protein shakes already made in the cans or bottles on the third week. I had trouble swallowing and sipping fluids the first three days, but on the fourth day before I went home,I was drinking broth that the staff makes for you. They also make a tasty fruit drink with a small amount of yogurt in it. It's all good. I wish you the best. It was a good experience for me. LOL...Bonnie

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by minuevavida79 View Post
    MrsPiggy, I don't think it is considered a clear liquid but if you can tolerate it you should be ok to have it. I couldn't tolerate a protein shake until yesterday. I brought all sweat suits. Stretch fabric. I wanted to be as comfortable as possible. They were cotton so they were breathable. I also got a few tank tops to go under them. The weather was pretty cool in Mexico when I was there last week so I would advise to check to make sure it won't be really warm. Just be comfortable. They do give you hospital gowns. You won't need anything to sleep in until you get to the recovery house. I did feel well enough to go shopping but not for hours. It was about an hour or two and we were right back at the house. Walking is good and encouraged. The only pill that I have issues swallowing right now is the antibiotic they prescribed. It's big and it taste HORRIBLE (so I can't crush it). The problem is if you HAVE to take the pill with water because big gulps hurt. I hope this helps. OH and if you have your own pain meds, I would probably take them with. What they had was ok but I wish I had my percocets or viocadin. Some peoples threshold for pain is higher than others. I was in more pain than some of my fellow friends. Better to be over prepared than under right!
    Thanks so much, your info is most helpful. With all the scientific technology, they don't have a liquid antibiotic to prescribe? I do not react well to heavy duty pain meds, so I'll probably be happy with theirs. I take a (small) capsule for high blood pressure. It is time-released, thus, can't be opened. Hope I can get that down. Continue doing well on your journey and keep on posting. Best wishes, Terry

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse View Post
    MrsPiggy...Your surgery is above your waistline, so you can wear every day, comfortable clothing. You will wear a hospital gown at the hospital but need a nightgown at the guesthouse. I felt good enough to go downtown to the dentist and go shopping for about an hour the next day after surgery. I didn't have much pain just gas for a couple of days after. I didn't need any pain medicine once I left the hospital. I had to crush my meds to swallow them. The protein shakes I started drinking with 1% milk after I got home(homemade in my blender) for two weeks and then drank protein shakes already made in the cans or bottles on the third week. I had trouble swallowing and sipping fluids the first three days, but on the fourth day before I went home,I was drinking broth that the staff makes for you. They also make a tasty fruit drink with a small amount of yogurt in it. It's all good. I wish you the best. It was a good experience for me. LOL...Bonnie
    Hi Bonnie~ Your help has been priceless. My surgery may be above the waist, however, I wonder if my pants will fit over the swollen belly. I might just bring loose-fitting cotton dresses; then I only have to worry about my gigantic panties fitting! Thanks so much, Terry

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    04/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-14-2017 01:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 216 Times
    Was Thanked 374 Times in 244 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 291 Times

I was sleeved by Dr Almanza on the 27th. Great experience overall. I should have stayed at the house instead of the hotel just due to the 24hr care as my pain wasn't managed as well in the hotel.

Feeling pretty good today, still on pain meds every 8 hours but ready to go back to work tomorrow

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToDream View Post
    I was sleeved by Dr Almanza on the 27th. Great experience overall. I should have stayed at the house instead of the hotel just due to the 24hr care as my pain wasn't managed as well in the hotel.

Feeling pretty good today, still on pain meds every 8 hours but ready to go back to work tomorrow
    On pain meds and you're ready to go back to work? What a trooper...Hope you're not a pilot or anything like that! What do you mean by house or hotel? Do they give you a choice of where to stay post op? Please clue me in, as I am clueless! Thanks, Terry

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    04/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 216 Times

Nah only a commercial property underwriter... I can do that in my sleep

They offer the recovery house which has 24 hour care for you but if you prefer, you can ask to go to the Hotel Ticuan (for about $80/night) instead. The minus to this is that you have to go back and forth to the clinic 2x/day for meds which is pretty painful when you have your drain in. The roads aren't very good and the bouncing is pretty painful. In retrospect, I would stay in the house.
    Straight forward. Straight facts. Whether you like the truth or not... I'm not made of sugar coating

Check out my blog at Chronicles of a Lifetime Dieter

GOAL REACHED!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Cheryl ~ What made you choose the hotel in the first place? Did you see the house? Is there a problem there? I'm leaving hubby at home and going on this adventure alone. I do want to be in the safest place possible...More info, PLEASE! Thanks, Terry

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    04/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 216 Times

My hubby came with me and we wanted some privacy. That was really the only reason. I'm a private person when it comes to how I handle pain and I didn't want to listen to others all moaning about their pain while I suffered in silence. So we chose the hotel. From what I heard from the other 3 people that went to the house, it was fantastic. Very homey, staff around the clock to help you with anything you could need. I would really suggest you stick to the house... it will be perfect!
    Straight forward. Straight facts. Whether you like the truth or not... I'm not made of sugar coating

Check out my blog at Chronicles of a Lifetime Dieter

GOAL REACHED!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Terry
    Surgery date
    06/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 126 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'll stay at the house with the complainers...I'll probably be the worst one! Good luck with your journey and continue to post. By June I should be prepared for anything! Stay well, Terry

27. Said thanks:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast