Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    07-28-2019 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

Default This is What it is like to be Sleeved

If you wondered what the diet would feel like from someone who has done it, then here you go!
    I wont lie about this. You will feel deprived. You will feel sorry for yourself. Especially the first couple months. But it does get better and better as you are able to eat a little more as time goes on. The biggest thing is that you lose weight!
    It is NOT like diets of the past where you deprived yourself but lost slowly and hit the 30 lb barrier where you would give up as your body put back on all the weight you worked so hard to lose.Then You would gain it back in less then half the time it took to lose it, and don't forget the extra 10-20 it gave you as punishment for dieting in the first place!
    Once you are Sleeved, it all changes. The deprivation you feel is balanced by the happiness and joy you feel over the fact that the weight-loss happens SO quickly compared to before. As the pounds melt off and the scale keeps going down even AFTER you get to the 30lb barrier! Your clothes start getting so baggy and falling off! You will miss food and binging, but you are NOT hungry! you are FULL! So this is one diet you will never regret! Because it WORKS! In only 1 year you will be down 100 lbs or more, You will look and feel great ! You will be able to eat anything you want to, only in a SMALL amount, but it wont bother you as much because you will love being thin! I hope you find my perspective helpful, Love Rainbow

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Tarheel2012's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    GT
    Surgery date
    02/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-05-2020 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Default Re: This is What it is like to be Sleeved

Rainbow...thank you so much for this....I am recently sleeved and definitely lucky so far...no complications, pretty good tolerance of most foods and liquids! I've also lost 38lbs so far...scary and amazing! Last week was my company’s big conference and I found myself for the first time being very anti-social and stayed in my room eating tuna/chicken, protein shakes, vitamin water and water! There were several comments made about how great I looked but mainly about my absences from the many open bars, lunches, dinner and breakfast buffets. I felt a little sad like my life social life was over and I would be stuck in this weird vortex of social awkwardness...thanks for giving me a little insight to the possibilities of post sleeve life!

Name
    Joshua
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Bass
    Last Activity
    08-06-2012 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 110 Times
    Was Thanked 225 Times in 138 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel2012 View Post
    Rainbow...thank you so much for this....I am recently sleeved and definitely lucky so far...no complications, pretty good tolerance of most foods and liquids! I've also lost 38lbs so far...scary and amazing! Last week was my company’s big conference and I found myself for the first time being very anti-social and stayed in my room eating tuna/chicken, protein shakes, vitamin water and water! There were several comments made about how great I looked but mainly about my absences from the many open bars, lunches, dinner and breakfast buffets. I felt a little sad like my life social life was over and I would be stuck in this weird vortex of social awkwardness...thanks for giving me a little insight to the possibilities of post sleeve life!
    I'm right at 5 months post op - and 115lbs down. I promise the votrex of awkwardness is temporary. LOL. My wife and I have both been sleeved (she was sleeved 2 months ago). When we get invited to dinner at a restaraunt, we just share a plate or take HUGE doggy bags home. I still drink alcohol - and eat whatever the hell I want. Just in small doses. Nothing will ever taste as good as losing this 115lbs so far feels.
    Follow me on my blog: http://www.exfatcat.blogspot.com

Follow the Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/exfatcat

Join our Gastric Sleevers Site on FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gastric-Sleevers

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdavido View Post
    i'm right at 5 months post op - and 115lbs down. I promise the votrex of awkwardness is temporary. Lol. My wife and i have both been sleeved (she was sleeved 2 months ago). When we get invited to dinner at a restaraunt, we just share a plate or take huge doggy bags home. I still drink alcohol - and eat whatever the hell i want. Just in small doses. Nothing will ever taste as good as losing this 115lbs so far feels.
    true dat!

Gastric Sleeve Member supersmile37's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    04-10-2012 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 39 Times

I totally agree. 5.5 months out and down 90 lbs. Woo hoo! I eat what I want in small doeses. If I eat out o share with someone else and they don't usually notice.

AND I CAN SAY I AM FULL. I NEVER FELT FULL BEFORE. That is the best about the sleeve.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Amy
    Surgery date
    02/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Craig Chang
    Last Activity
    03-31-2012 10:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

When did you start drinking alcohol again? I would love a glass of wine, or a beer sometimes!!!

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Blog Entries

Ha ha Be Careful Mamiex5! I am 2 years out and can Barely drink 1/2 glass wine with out getting Plastered! Everybody is different, but until you know how the sleeve is gonna effect you take is Slow and Careful! On the flip side i am a cheap date! And a cheap drunk!

Gastric Sleeve Member Rescued-one's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    10/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hodges
    Last Activity
    01-13-2013 08:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

I, on the other hand, may be a cheap meal date, but can still tolerate as much alcohol as I could before. It MIGHT hit me a bit faster, but that is all the change. I wish I was one of those who responded like Rainbow....but that's ok. I second what she said, you need to take it slow at the beginning and just see how you respond. enjoy!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Gastric Sleeve Member Leaseagrl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michale
    Last Activity
    02-18-2012 02:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

My weight loss has been much slower.... 7 months out and 45 lbs gone.... 35 more to my goal weight. But glad I did it!

Gastric Sleeve Member Liliana Arleen's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ryan Tyner
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 79 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 82 Times

Thanks for sharing your point of view makes me happy to read this from someone who had surgery while ago

Surgery date
    03/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Fernandez
    Last Activity
    08-10-2014 02:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 120 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks Rainbow your posts are always so insightful. I really think I am prepared for the physical, and emotional side of this journey thanks to the many wonderful posts I read. My surgery is 3-6 and I am so excited I can't wait. I had a big test yesterday. My position in my job was eliminated after only having it 3 months. This after looking for a job from my previous elimination of 2 1/2 years ago. Normally I would look to food for comfort and I almost went there last night but my husband said don't mess up now you have done so good. I am on my pre-op diet. And I didn't go there. I was proud that I didn't fall apart and go back to my bad ways with food as comfort. Thank you for all the wonderful advise you give. Newbies like me really count on it.

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Blog Entries

Ha ha i posted this somewhere else but it really apply s here too! The Bottom line is if you are hardcore and wanna loose faster you will be more diligent on the low-carb protein thing. If you are feeling deprived and missing certain food, that's where your sleeve steps up to the plate and says: "Go for it! but i am warning you, if you even take one more bite then i think you should i will make you pay! Don't worry i am here for you, i will help you to keep losing weight no matter what you eat, but do pause a minute and remember; if you go overboard i WILL make you puke your guts out and wish you were never born BWAAAH ha ha ha ha!" Bottom line for me is no food is off limit- but the AMOUNT i eat at a time is another matter entirely. And if i wanna go hardcore then i eat even less by only eating things with protein that make me not even hungry at all! But even when i relaxed and enjoyed carbs - i still lost!

17. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Rainbow...I can't find your other post on NUTS, but today I had PISTACIO's for lunch. I thought about you with each nut I ate...haha! And...you are right about one thing...instead of eating like TEN POUNDS (kidding) of pistacios, I ate about a half cup and was done! Yummy!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Shawn
    Surgery date
    05/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-24-2024 04:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 32 Posts

Thanks for the information about what it is like. I just found out about the sleeve surgery for the first time today. I am wondering what it feels like after the procedure, physically? Is there a lot of pain post-op?