Surgeon
    Dr. Peter Garza
    Last Activity
    04-17-2012 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How much pain are you in after the sleeve surgery? BE HONEST!

As everyone has said, everyone's experience is different. In my case I experienced very little pain beyond the gas pains everyone gets. I took no morophine in the hospital, and took the liquid vicodin I was prescribed after discharge one time more as a precaution (i wanted to prevent pain that would keep me awake at night) than due to any pain I was feeling at the time. The pain in my abdomen 1 day out from surgery was similar to the pain I have felt after working out my abs at the gym. I had virtually no incision pain. The gas pain is uncomfortable, but you can help yourself out a ton with that by getting up and walking around as soon after surgery as you are up to it. I was up walking around 6 hours post op. Everyone is different, but mine was,, the pain was almost a non-issue. Nothing like I expected going in.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aceves
    Last Activity
    05-26-2012 12:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times

I had pain at my drain site as well as gas pain and horrible headaches(headaches only through day 2). The IV pain med kept it under good control. Once they removed the IV I took sublingual pain medication until about day 5 or 6. After that pain was minimal. Every day got a little better. There is just no way of knowing exactly how much pain you will be in. I was able to move around just fine. I probably aggravated things by doing a little too much.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-26-2014 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

On a scale of 1-10, my worse pain was probably a 4.. and that was the first day when I would get out of bed... I have a pretty high pain tolerance.. The sooner that you can get up and walk really helps.. I took the pains meds at home only for the first day... Everyone is different.. I was very lucky and did not have any problems with gas, or nausea... I guess the hardest part was drinking water, because the taste of it totally changed.. It took me awhile to find things that actually tasted good...But I was also a Diet Coke Addict, and really missed that taste... The first couple of weeks can be rough..... trying to figure out what you can tolerate and how much....It was honestly one of the best decisions that I have made.. My only regret would be not knowing about it and doing it sooner... Good luck to you...

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I had my surgery on Jan 6th. I won't lie, I was in terrible pain from the gas for the first day and a half. It felt like I had a soccer ball right under my sternum. It even hurt to take a deep breath. It was awful. Also, I threw up every time I moved (ie got up to go to the bathroom) the first night, all night. Once I got up for the day (the day after surgery) I was done with the dry heaving. But, it seemed like I was the most uncomfortable one at the recovery house, so don't let my experience freak you out. There were others there who were fine.

Also, I had a drain and it did not bother me one bit. I found the removal made me kind of nauseus, and I didn't like that sensation of it being pulled out one bit. But, while it was in I had zero problem with it.

I did my leak test two days after, and did not throw the liquid up. It is bad, but manageable.

I have been following the diet as outlined in my packet, even though I fail to get enough fluids in pretty much every day. I haven't had any pain or nausea since before I left Mexico, and am losing weight like a champ. You've just got to get through the initial discomfort, and you should be home free if you follow the rules (don't eat too fast, keep liquids and food separate, don't introduce foods before you are supposed to).

You'll be fine! I was scared too, but I got through it. When you are freaked out, go get on the scale and imagine what it will be like to see your goal weight on the screen instead of whatever number has prompted you to seek surgery

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Gina
    Surgery date
    02/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    01-19-2012 01:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I am completely freaked out...but I won't let that stop me. I genuinely appreciate all of the honest and informative answers. :0)

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Teresa
    Surgery date
    01/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Yadegar
    Last Activity
    01-04-2013 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a lot of pain on my side and my shoulder due to the drain they put in. It was so bad for me but once they took out that drain I felt so much better. I was very nauseous and throw up the second day. The IV pain meds made me sick. They put me on some other strong pain meds (sorry I can’t remember the name) they worked so well and when my drain was out and I started feeling better then gave me the Tylenol with codeine. Today I am doing great, lots of gas still and some weight gain and swollen from all the fluids they gave me in the hospital. But I know it will get better.

Take Care, I'm wishing you all the best and praying for you.
    Teresa Life Is Good!!!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Rw86347@gmail.com's Avatar
    Name
    Rodger
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    David Kim
    Last Activity
    10-30-2013 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts

I told my doctor I get sick from anesthesia so please give me fenergan when I wake up. The fen. didn't work I was sick. However when I asked for more drugs they gave me narcotics and that worked!!! I was shocked. I expected it to make me sicker. I think my stomach thought it's pain from being cut was really just me being sick. Every time I got sick I asked for more narcs. That worked. When I went to do the leak test 5 others were with me. They were all throwing up. In fact I think I felt better than them.

After they allowed me to drink water everything improved greatly. By the third day I tossed the pain killers.

now it is all a narcotics blur. don't be scared. you will get an IV. Next thing you know it is done. If you feel bad ask for pain killers. You will sleep it all off.
    Join with me on MyFitnessPal --- my name is rw86347

Gastric Sleeve Member Marquisha0116's Avatar
    Name
    Marquisha Roy
    Surgery date
    01/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gail Wynn
    Last Activity
    04-26-2014 03:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

My procedure was performed on 01/16 and was discharged on 01/18. I am happy to post that I had no pain, no vomiting, no nausea. I am 2 days post op and feel really good. I am able to take liquidation well and will start my puree diet tomorrow. I did experience discomfort with the gas/bubbles the 1st day after surgery, but it was bearable. Walking before and after surgery really helped with this and now I'm not experiencing it at all. I was like you and very concerned about the pain after surgery. Everyone's body reacts differently to surgery. But again I am proud to post - No Pain No Vomiting No Nausea. So get to walking and thinking positive that you too will experience little to no pain like I did. Good Luck!

Name
    Drew
    Surgery date
    06/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ken Hollis
    Last Activity
    01-19-2012 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

First 24 hours I was in a morphine haze. Day 2 I was on vicodin and it hurt when I stood up or sat down. Day 3 I took 1 dose of vicodin and was tired f sleeping all of time and being a zombie when I was awke, so I stopped it and never took any more pain meds. I do recommend it at bedtime, though, because I didn't sleep well for the next 7 nights. If I could it it again, I would certainly take it to sleep better. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Andrea
    Surgery date
    12/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Singh
    Last Activity
    02-01-2012 03:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Gina, herevis the best advice I can give you. Don't compare what to expect with anyone else pain or weight loss. You will drive yourself crazy on the 2nd part. As far as the pain and threshold of it I have a very high threshold and was in pain. No dire pain yet pain none the less. You'll do great and maybe not the few days after you see what a great decision. All the best

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I came home the morning after surgery. Trying to lay down in my bed brought tears to my eyes because your abs are really sore. I slept in the recliner the first week and that was fine.

Other then doing something like that that used those muscles, I didn't feel a lot of "pain" more soreness. The negative feelings were more related to being a little queasy (day one, it was more then a little queasy), being super tired and generally not feeling great that first month. I too had gas pain, but lots of walking helped with that.

It is my opinion that fear of the pain is probably one of the least of the worries of getting this surgery.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    06/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Craig Taylor
    Last Activity
    03-04-2021 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times
    Blog Entries

Day 1 an incredible amount, I needed to get a morphine shot to get it under control. Day 2,3 I had tramadol/panadol intravenously, but the pain had reduced significantly. Day 4 a couple of soluable paracetamol morning and night and some oxycodone when I walked too far. Day 5 some paracetamol. Day 6 onwards didn't need anything. Pretty smooth sailing from that point out.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Buffy
    Surgery date
    12/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Mann
    Last Activity
    10-09-2012 11:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 36 Times
    Blog Entries

day 1 I had no pain however day 2 they put me in a step down unit and took away my pain meds, I was in the worst pain I have ever experienced. I had 3 children without pain meds and did ok. This was really tuff for me cause I have a high pain tollerance but day 2 was a killer. Good news day 3 I went home
    and pain was night and day difference I was sore but it was very tollerable. I did not have a drain as my Dr said he has a low enough leak rate that he doesnt believe in making the patient uncomfortable by putting them in.
    I am now 4 weeks post op and I have had alot of trouble as I cant keep anything down I throw up 4 times a day fight to get half of my liquids in. I have regrets as I lost much more weight on the pre-op then I do now its very frustrating. Make sure you do all of your homework I was on a year weight list for the surgery so I felt obligated when it finally got time and wish I would have listened to my gut. Im sure everything will evenually work out my Dr thinks the tube to my stomach is too small so he may have to balloon it bigger not what I signed up for:} Dont be afraid of the surgery its like having a baby you forget the pain by the next week-thats really the easy part. Good luck to you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Andrea
    Surgery date
    12/21/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Singh
    Last Activity
    02-01-2012 03:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Buffy, your the first person that I have heard mention thhis. I have pain every time I eat. Even 1 slice of deli ham. My doc says he wants to do a egd tube and stretch my stimach as well. I freaked out thinking then itll be to big and wont loae any of the weight. Did your doc say how much they stretch it

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Richards
    Last Activity
    04-10-2012 04:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had pain the entire time I was in the hospital, even with the morphine; and after going home with the Loritab elixir. Wasn't able to sleep in my bed for nearly 2 weeks because it was too high to climb into and it felt like my side was ripping apart everytime I tried to climb into it. After about 2 weeks the pain was more tolerable, I was back at work and I didn't need to pain meds as much. I feel great now, it just took my body a little longer to get over the trauma I guess. I've started the treadmill at the gym and can't wait until my 6 weeks are over so that I can get back to lifting weights and doing more aerobic type exercises - I like belly dancing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast