Dr Craig Taylor
    Last Activity
    12-29-2015 09:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 208 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Very Nervous

At my wits end !!. I am only 56 ...I feel at least eighty.
    In the last four years I have had 2 knee operations for substantial meniscus tears, one knee replacement , one hip replacement & now a torn Achilles' tendon.

My body is basically crumbling under my weight. I have a BMI of 52 ... 140kgs (308 lbs ... Top weight 324 lbs).
    I have come to the conclusion that I need to do something DRASTIC !!! but am Very nervous about considering gastric sleeve surgery as I have been reading many conflicting reports.

What are the negatives ?
    Do the positives outway the negatives ?

Really would love / NEED (!!) some feedback
    Thank you

At the moment you might not see the light at the end of the tunnel , but at least if you are in the tunnel you will eventually see the light.

Not everything that is faced can be changed but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sociologist's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Margaret
    Surgery date
    11/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Borland
    Last Activity
    03-01-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 263 Times in 255 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 170 Times

Default Re: Very Nervous

I was sleeved almost three months ago and it was the best decision I could have made. My highest weight was 219 and I am 5 feet tall and 57 yrs old. My bmi was 41. I was lucky not to have diabetis or hypertension but the arthritis in my hips, knees, ankles and feet were seriously putting a damper on my quality of life. I teach college and just lecturing for three hrs made my lower body hurt so bad I would come home and prop my feet up because of the swelling. Like most folks here, I had gained and lost the weight many times. I needed to do something else because all of thd yoyo dieting had taken its toll on me. I thought about yhe surgery off and on for two yrs before I decided on it. Two of my coworkers had it and provided me with a wealth of information.

It is not always an easy road to travel. There will be days when you feel awesome and days you will wonder what the hell you did to your body. For me, the good has far outweighed the bad. Best of luck in your decision:-)
    Margaret
    1 month: 25 lost (194-10 day stall)
    3 months: 9 lost (173-halfway to goal!)
    5 months: 7 lost (161-1week stall)
    7 months: 4 lost (152-4 week stall)
    9 months: 1 lost (145-1 month stall)
    10 months: 0 lost (145-2month stall
    14 months: 0 lost (145-7 month stall)

My goal: 145...originally 129 but my body said no!

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Balette
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 12:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I would make a list of what you are afraid of and see if there is a bariatric surgeon where you live. Many offer free seminars and free consults to review concerns. I am in the stage of waiting for an insurance decision and I have no concerns. I am ready, I have read, studied, watched the surgery online many times, and talked to many people about the change they made. No one I met regrets doing it - a few regret they didn't do do it sooner. The success they have had comes from knowing this is a life long change and not a quick fix.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Rita
    Surgery date
    04/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Craig Taylor
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your encouragement ... I have been thinking about this option for over a year now but only decided to follow through with seeing a surgeon in this last month ... Appointment at the end of Feb :-) ... I will keep reading & talking to others now that I have discovered thus forum .. Thanks again.

At the moment you might not see the light at the end of the tunnel , but at least if you are in the tunnel you will eventually see the light.

Not everything that is faced can be changed but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Julie Kim
    Last Activity
    02-08-2014 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Karani - I really understand where you're coming from. I worried for years about whether or not I should do something drastic like the sleeve. I had surgery abut four months ago, and it is (with the exception of marrying and having my daughter) the absolute best thing I have ever done. Seven years ago, I weighed 350 pounds. I was able to lose 90 pounds over the course of those years, and couldn't go any further. I was sick of being 36 and feeling 66. My knees are vastly improved. My breathing is so much better. I am not sore all the time, or tired. I feel I can walk through a store or my office without feeling like a side show attraction. I can't fully express how much better, overall, I feel. Here are some negatives: my skin (looks crepey and saggy)...but no one can tell, as it's under my new (smaller) clothes. I will never be able to afford plastic surgery, so I'm stuck with the skin, but it's a small price to pay. Some people are judgmental, and will accuse you of "taking the easy way". These people aren't worth keeping as friends or (if they are in your own family) should be ignored. The cost of buying new EVERYTHING cannot be ignored-new bras, underwear and even shoes, not to mention shirts and pants. Find a good consignment shop!
    Make sure you pick an excellent surgeon, who should put your mind at ease. But by all means, go for it! It is scary, painful (at first), and life changing. But, that's what you want, right? Change your life for the better.
    Best of luck,
    Cara

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

For me the positives WAY outweigh the negatives! I'm 47 and was basically doing nothing but sitting in my house and going to work because I hurt everywhere. I was taking no less than 10 prescriptions for asthma, anxiety and blood pressure. Fast forward 4 months and I am 60 lbs down, (still have 30-40 to go), but I feel like I "look normal" now and I certainly feel fantastic! I can wear a size 8 now which I still can't believe! I LIKE to exercise and actually miss it if I don't get my morning cardio.

This has been a COMPLETE lifestyle change. I cook differently, always looking for ways to maximize protein. I have an app on my phone that yells at me when it's time to take one of the many supplements that I'll take for the rest of my life. I have to remember to get one or 2 protein supplements per day to ensure I get my 75g of protein. Yes all of the above gets old sometimes, but the trade off is so worth it!

At 4 months, I've not really had any of the "bad" experiences that sometimes happen. I was in only the hospital overnight and back at work the next week. No leaks, no hair loss that I can tell, I tolerate almost all food very well in small amounts, (Chinese fried rice is not great, but Sushi rice goes down fine), I can eat bread, pasta, fruit skins, steak, whatever. The only prescription I take is Omeprazole for reflux, and those symptoms and GREATLY improved. I hope to eventually cut back that does or give it up entirely.

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Good luck with your decision.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Surgery date
    01/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gluck
    Last Activity
    11-28-2015 06:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 202 Times
    Blog Entries

What is great for me is to see the change in my life so quickly. I was 327 pounds at 5'7" tall. I have lost over 50 pounds since I started this investigation in November of 2013. Had the surgery 25 days ago. I also have had knee and hip issues (no replacements), but now I can stand for long periods of time with out my ankles swelling or aching, I can climb stairs without panting like I just finished a marathon and I feel better than I have in years. I am 65 years old and these changes started happening within 5 days of my surgery. I used to take 3 pills for blood pressure an 1 pill for cholesterol. Now 1 pill for blood pressure which is a bout 120 over 70. I am so happy about having this surgery that I can't remember any negatives (by the way the surgery and recovery was almost pain free which is the case most of time with the surgeon and staff I had do mine) This is a big decision, but your choice is to do nothing and watch your quality of life get worse or do somrthinfg that may make you feel good again.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Leann
    Surgery date
    04/10/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Emma Patterson
    Last Activity
    09-18-2016 03:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 154 Times in 143 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 323 Times

I was 57, at 309 pounds and needed a hip replacement. I was so afraid that the hip replacement would not work/last due to my weight. I talked to my primary care physician and away I went on this journey. Never for one second have I regretted my decision. I know now that I am going to live a longer and healthier life, I've been off all of my blood pressure medicine for over 6 months (had been taking it for 20 years). I no longer will be seeing the world go by from the car window, I'll be out living life.

Please don't hesitate to keep asking questions, you will find lots of answers, information and support here on the forum.

Dec. 19, 2012 - 309 pounds
    April 10, 2013 - 266 pounds
    April 12, 2013 - 272 pounds (I gained 6 pounds after surgery but have been steadily losing since then)
    November 21, 2013 - 209 - 100 pounds lost!!!!!
    January 1, 2014 - 205 - down is down after the holidays
    January 30, 2014 - 199.4 - first time in the 100's in over 30 years!

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karani View Post
    In the last four years I have had 2 knee operations for substantial meniscus tears, one knee replacement , one hip replacement & now a torn Achilles' tendon.

My body is basically crumbling under my weight. I have a BMI of 52 ... 140kgs (308 lbs ... Top weight 324 lbs).
    I have come to the conclusion that I need to do something DRASTIC !!! but am Very nervous about considering gastric sleeve surgery as I have been reading many conflicting reports.

What are the negatives ?

Thank you
    I am 43 and just had sleeve. So far everything is going great. No issues, no pain. (2nd day out ad gas pain). I'm down over 40lbs including the pre op weight loss. I feel great. Should be off meds soon.
    Uncle who is 61 had sleeve just over 1 year ago. He is down over 120lbs. Loves it said he feels like he is 40 again. No meds at all anymore.
    Aunt had by pass just under 3 months ago. Almost 60. She's down over 50lbs.Loves it. Never felt better. Off all meds.
    Cousin had by pass about 10 months ago. He's 35. Lost over 130lbs already. Goes to gym, runs around with kids. No meds.
    Friend had lap band, about 5yrs ago. He's 44. He lost about 75lbs at 1st, and gained about 40 back. Just went to Dr. last week, the tube for lap band twisted. Wasn't working correctly. Had repaired. Hopefully he gets back on weight loss train.
    Friend had bypass 4 years ago. She's 46. She lost over 140lbs. No meds. Loves life never felt better. Does 5k runs, the mud runs, goes to gym. Looks amazing, made her look younger.
    Good luck with your decision.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Karani View Post

What are the negatives ?

Thank you
    Okay, I am gonna give it to you straight - JUST DO IT!!!!

I am 49 now, had my surgery in Dec 2011. You cannot even FATHOM the difference between weighing 300+ and like ANYTHINg under 200.

My highest recorded weight was 332... my weight when I started my pre op diet was 308. at 5'5" that was substantial poundage.

i really mean it when I say I was on on a road to early death with a side trip through disability. now, people are shocked I am 49, they think I am younger. I can hike, ride horses, work out at the most intense class at the gym.. it is incredible the transformation. But here is the dirty little secret.... even if you don't get downt to a "normal / healthy weight" - just getting smaller makes such a difference in quality of life.

What are the downsides - well, it isn't always easy. You have to face alot of food issues. As far as I am concerned, beats the crap out of early death and disability.

Click on my profile. I suspect you will recognize yourself.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Jorrie Jordaan
    Last Activity
    07-16-2014 04:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

you wont regret it!! Honestly will be the best decision of your life)

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Rita
    Surgery date
    04/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Craig Taylor
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you for taking the time to write to me .. I am so amazed by all the wonderful support there is on this site… after today I am 99 % sure of my decision to go ahead with the surgery but am seeing the surgeon in two weeks to make sure I am happy with him & all is ok for me to go ahead with it all ( I have read good reports about him).
    so good to see that people are doing so well with this surgery … a few years ago it was seen as a very radical procedure & to be used as a last resort .. I am glad that it is seen as a fairly safe procedure nowadays, which can make such a positive difference in peoples lives.

Name
    Rita
    Surgery date
    04/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Craig Taylor
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you for taking the time to write & encourage me … i am looking forward to meeting with the surgeon in two weeks & getting on with the next phase of my life as soon as possible … i am hoping that it can only get better from here.