Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    12-24-2016 06:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times

Default Being Active

Ok Sleevers I am 58 not very active, have venus insufficiency, feel swelling, over all feel pretty bad. I am 5'7 weigh 240. There was a post on here yesterday about some fellow sleevers who had just gotten back from having this done, three of them are not doing well, one is in the hospital, the post referenced that they believed it was because these others were not active. I have my surgery on this coming Monday, after reading that post it upset me, I know there are risks, but really how may on here are actually really "active" I have a desk job and no I do not exercise primarily because before Christmas I got plantar facilitis, and the venus insufficiency. I am about to talk myself out of it. Are the risks that great....Please help

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Default Re: Being Active

Really brutal answer, but I am not a brutal person.

Do you want to die early? Being inactive and over weight will kill you much faster than the complications of this surgery. Granted that is a general statement, but look at the odds of complication (extremely low) vs the odds of dying early from excess weight (very high).

And complications are just that, complication, not life or death.

Personally, I think you need to come to grips with this being a life or death decision. I do not say this to be mean or negative, its just what it is. Plain old brutal facts.

We all wish for a softer gentler way, but there was none. But seldom have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed this path.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

And I respect your answer. I feel horrible and I know by doing this I will feel so much better. Thanks for you reply

Surgery date
    04/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Chin
    Last Activity
    06-07-2015 08:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

i plan to do water exercise as soon as i'm cleared to get in the pool. i also have plantar facilitis. I do walk, but it hurts and i dont want that to stop me. try chair dancing too. just DO something!! best wishes

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Treatments for Venous insufficiency... (this is internet based, so I COULD be wrong)...
    Wear compression stockings to decrease swelling.
    Do not sit or stand for long periods. Even moving your legs slightly helps keep the blood flowing.
    Care for wounds if you have any open sores or infections.
    Lose weight if you are overweight.
    Exercise regularly.

So, it sound like exercise is a prescription for you for many reasons. Find something you can do. If its not the gym or even walking because of the plantar facilitis, invest in an exercise bike. I can't walk very long either due to hip displasia. My bike is in front of my big screen. 50-60 min every work day before work is a habit now and I get to watch a favorite show DVR'd or n Netflix to boot! Swimming is another alternative, but for me gaining access to a pool is expensive and the chloriene...ugh. The important thing is to find something you CAN do and WILL make a habit of.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Sleevers were you all better after the surgery as far as being active?

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kodi's Mom's Avatar
    Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 06:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 152 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times
    Blog Entries

I was 56 when I had the surgery. My surgeon told my husband and me that my surgery was textbook. I had venous insufficiency with severe edema and dermatitis, sleep apnea, hypertension and diabetes (with the use of insulin bid.) I am now 160 lbs down, CPAP free, A1c of 6.4 (borderline pre-diabetic) without the use of insulin or oral/injectable meds, normal blood pressure and no swelling of feet ankles or lower legs.
    I too was a couch potato. After working 8 hrs I would come home too much in pain to stand to cook so we ate out, had a lot of frozen, processed junk.
    That, too, has changed. I am now able to walk or stand without leaning on something to dissipate my weight. While I get more exercise than pre-surgery, I am still basically "inactive."
    I have noticed that when things go right, people don't tend to post as much as when they are having problems. I am sure though that if you search, you will find significantly more posts from people who have not had complications

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Diana Walker
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2017 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I had my sleeve done nearly 3 1/2 years ago in Mexico. I was 63 at the time, 5'2" and weighed 234, very sedentary, a secretary for a state library, had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, beginning congestive heart failure, fibromyalgia, edema in feet, ankles, and lower legs...I did absolutely fabulous...have lost 102 lbs. and kept it off...no high blood pressure after about the first month, no sleep apnea after losing the first 30 lbs., swelling disappeared within weeks, no more congestive heart failure...need I go on??? It was absolutely the BEST thing I've ever done for myself bar none!!! Everyone is different and everyone's bodies react differently. Only you know your own body and your own reasons for wanting to lose weight and get healthy again. One thing I will say it is definitely a "head game"! Go into it worried and scared and convinced you're going to have problems, and you WILL! Go into it with the idea that you are one tough cookie who's going to take the bull by the horns and soar to great heights and you'll be a WINNER! ChaiDi
    ChaiDi

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

you all have made me feel so much better. I almost called the doctor and cancelled. I know I can do this. One last question have you been able to eat like you did once before but in smaller portions or is everything simply out the door....

Name
    Diana Walker
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2017 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

Eating is definitely different, especially at first. However, being 3 1/2 years out I can tell you that I pretty much eat whatever I want but just MUCH smaller portions now. My big thing is that I know that if I deny myself something, then that is the very thing I will crave and obsess about, so I weigh EVERY day (I know they say not to) but I'd rather know I've gained when it's just a lb. or two and get right back on the wagon than to find about after it's 8 or 10 lbs. and feel like a failure! I go out to eat with my husband, or family and I order just like they do. I just know that I can only take 2 or 3 bites of soup or salad if I expect to have enough room for a few bites of the main course. And I am good with that as long as I get a taste of the things I love! I go into it KNOWING I'll take a good share of it home in a box. If my husband is home (he travels a lot for work) then he can eat it for lunch the next day. If he's gone then I'll pretty much have leftovers for the next 2 or 3 meals! I LOVE my thin self and I am going to keep my sleeve tool working for me for the rest of my life. If that means giving up a few fattening things then I'm good with that! I get to eat the things I really want, just not huge amounts. ChaiDi
    ChaiDi

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a little over a year out. I eat whatever I want, within reason. There are some things I don't eat or bring into the house because I know they will put me onto that slippery slope, but I am okay with that as I don't want to undo all of my sleeve victories. I still eat protein first. I still wait 30 minutes after drinking to eat and 30 minutes after eating to drink. I go out to eat with my husband and take containers with me to put my "leftovers" into to bring home for a second or third meal, depending on what it is. (I have started to take my own containers because it cuts down on the questions from the wait staff: Did you not like your food? Was it not cooked right? Do you want to see the manager?)
    There are still some foods that I have a hard time settling: chicken, pork and fish. But all in all, I would never go back. I am loving my sleeved life.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    wesley turton
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Do you ever get to eat a jelly bean again or a piece of candy, can you ever eat a piece of fried fish and would you want to. Of course I am 4 days away from having surgery. I am ill this week on liquids but not as bad as I was Monday. Just curious, I know I have to change my ways but really every once in awhile??

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    01/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Meng- g Martin, Lee Dr.
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I ate 6 m&ms last night, and on Easter I had some gummy bears lol. I am 11 weeks out. Right now I have no desire to eat anything fried. Just the smell of it makes me sick so I stick to grilled, baked, or crock pot meals. I am not a huge sweet fan so when I crave it I have a tiny bit and I am good to go. It is usually during that time of the month. Everything is in moderation and some things you may have loved before may not even appeal to you now!

Name
    Kathleen
    Surgery date
    04/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Liao
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

I still fry (not deep fry) most of my foods because, other than using my crock pot, it is the easiest way for me to be able to keep the foods moist enough for me to tolerate them. I baked at Christmas time and a few cookies. Thankfully, sweets don't have the same impact on me as they did pre-surgery. But I don't want to get in the habit of having them in the house as I don't want to go down that slippery slope to old habits and weighing 350 again.