Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

to tell or not to tell

1. Crisps
    Crisps
    Hi all you may sleevers, I have just been out for dinner for my daughters birthday, first proper meal out since I had the sleeve in may, to be honest I cant even remember the exact date, I had a lovely spicy chicken Ramen, well you can guess how much of that I ate, 2 slices of the chicken and a few spoons of the broth, it was delicious anyhow, my one big gripe is I wanted to order a kids size portion and wagamamas said no I couldn't, lesson learnt, next time just order it and don't ask.
    , Hubby thinks I should have told them about my surgery. My next thing is that I had a coffee (decaf) with a vey good friend who knows about my surgery, she was talking very loudly and I asked her to be more discreet about what she was saying, she replied I should be shouting from the roof tops about my weight loss, I am very proud of the weight I have lost, I am now 14 and a half stone, I have never lost that much weight any where EVER, she then asked why I hadn't been totally open with everyone about the surgery, did I want people to think I had done it all myself and so on and so on, on reflection of her comments and my husbands. A: It has totally nothing to do with anyone else but me and the people I choose to tell, I STILL HAVE THE FEAR OF FAILING WITH THIS AS I DID WITH EVERY DIET ETC I HAVE BEEN ON SINCE I WAS 11 yrs old,if I did fail, I wont by the way, they will then think oh another failed attempt instead of, Lord she cant even do it with surgery and be even more judgemental about how I look than I am of myself, I honestly cant think of the last time I was 14 stone anything and I am very happy to keep my secret for as long as I choose.
  2. Pam G
    Pam G
    Before I had the surgery I told my daughter, cause she was with me for the surgery and one person at work, a very obese woman.

Since then, my other kids and husband know.
  3. Snippynurse
    Snippynurse
    Hello Crisps,

Having surgery is your personal medical business not to be shared with anyone who you don't feel safe and secure with. People have unrealistic expectations of how much and how fast you should lose. The pressure to meet everyone elses expectations can be overwhelming and cause stress at a time when you don't need it. Having surgery is not a cure for permanent weight loss. We have to follow the rules to achieve our goal weight, keep it off and avoid stretching out our sleeve. Most people don't understand this.
    I also had a friend that felt the need to tell everyone about my weight loss surgery after asking several times to keep it private. What I told her was: " I"m truly blessed to have such a good friend who is happy for me about every pound I loss. I am having a hard time with the people who I am not close to making comments or constantly asking questions regarding the surgery. Right now I am focusing on me and improving myself. Having to stick to a new diet is a lifestyle change that you have to learn to fit into your regular life. Its very stressful. Having these people who don't understand what its about watching everything I eat and and how much I'm losing is just added pressure I don't want in my life right now. My medical history is not anyones business and I just want to keep it private right now. Maybe after I reach goal I"ll feel differently, I"ll let you know when Its ok to share". Since then she has not told everyone she we mutually know.

Some people just need to understand your view when they can't see that its different than thier's.
  4. Gracedivine
    Gracedivine
    I agree with you i fell yhe same way about telling people for the exact same reasons
  5. Triple love
    Triple love
    Hi Crisp,
    I have only told my family. I've lost 56 lbs and gone from a 2X to a size 16. I am so shocked and hurt that not hardly anyone has asked if I've lost weight! My family can't believe how great I am looking but my friends don't mention it! My sister says that women, even your friends, are jealous. So I continue not to tell anyone. I think it's a good thing.
    la