Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Dr. Almanza would still be my #1 choice.

1. Curvynurse
    Curvynurse
    My surgery was with Dr. Almanza, when he was still with Jerusalem Hospital, on 1/15/14. I was still there when Dr. Betancourt passed away. I am reading a lot of panic, confusion and paranoia amongst the ranks, so thought I'd give you what I can.

Dr. Almanza is still a world renowned surgeon. The surgery he performed on me was well done and is working beautifully. Only complaint I had was my incisions opening after I removed the sutures. This was fairly easily handled with butterfly bandages and some gauze to absorb any discharge.

While I was in TJ, things were very chaotic due to the impending death of Dr. Betancourt. We were short on nurses, so "30 minutes" frequently became 2 hours. I attribute the issue to the focus being (appropriately) on Dr. Betancourt. Jerusalem Hospital is/was a family owned enterprise, so all the people in charge were/are related to the deceased. Even with the distraction, most of the care went very well for most of the group. I am a nurse, so I spent some time "helping" with bandage changes and B12 shots, but no biggie. These were nothing the patients couldn't have done themselves, if necessary.

I can make no comment on the new hotel, as I've not stayed there. I can tell you the staff Dr. Almanza worked with was truly exceptional, for the most part. In clinic, they were fairly nonchalant, being accustomed to patients in pain/discomfort. At the hotel, they were badly overworked and behind, but always very pleasant. My first day I couldn't hold anything down. They brought a hydration bag to my room (I paid about $25 dollars to avoid returning to the clinic) and provided me with mango juice. Couldn't drink the stuff, so they brought me apple juice on 3 separate occasions. I have extremely sensitive skin, so the paper tape they were using on my bandages was making my skin absolutely raw. We consulted on the issue, with the nurses finally agreeing the best thing to do was leave the wounds open to air, as much as possible. Always with a smile, even though I speak no Spanish and their English is fairly accented.

Bottom line friends....do not expect American style medicine. No one will be hovering over you, making sure every little thing is perfect. You have to be proactive in your own recovery. Take your wound wash (be sure to have it out for TSA), take your bandages, take your tape. Be prepared to change a bandage. It's not that difficult. Take your Gas-X strips and USE THEM. WALK.....WALK.....WALK.....WALK. This simple task helps clear the gas from your back, abdomen and shoulders more effectively than you would imagine. You will be uncomfortable for 1-3 days, depending on how you recover. The more you focus on your discomfort, the more uncomfortable you will be. Distract yourself as much as possible and sleep when you're tired.

Good luck. If you have questions I haven't addressed, please feel free to contact me.
  2. southernchick
    southernchick
    So did you have a passport?
  3. skoggy
    skoggy
    Curveynurse, I agree with your analysis of the care provided. Do not expect to be waited on and be proactive. I had my surgery done on February 10/14, the first week of the move to Dr. Almanza's new diggs. My needs we're met and sometimes I had to call the nurses station or go down myself,which was fine with me. I feel good knowing I had surgery with one of the best in the world doing the sleeve procedure
  4. BrendaBear
    BrendaBear
    Thank you for this post. Its reassurance I needed. My surgery date is March 3.
  5. elongwa
    elongwa
    Awesome post, my experience was very similar, except that my incisions didn't open but I think I left my stitches in for a few days longer than necessary.

I forgot my wound wash and gauze at home, but my friend who was with me went to a drug store around the corner and purchased some for $5.

My surgery was 1/6, prior to Dr. Betancourt becoming ill, and my experience at the hotel was similar, 30 minutes easily turned into 2 hours - but knowing that we planned our requests with the expectation of waiting. That happens in US hospital's too...so it really wasn't something that bothered me much.

I would still recommend Dr. Almanza for this procedure, and hope that my sister will one day head to Tijuana for the same surgery and I can go as her companion and support person!

Erin
  6. decemberroses
    decemberroses
    skoggy--I would love to hear how things went at the new place. I am scheduled for March 11, and can hardly wait!
  7. Mktmathis
    Mktmathis
    Mu surgery is scheduled for 3/21/2014. I cant wait! your post really made me feel better! I dont expect it to be like the US, its Mexico PEOPLE!