Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Athletic Snacking - How to snack and keep your eye on the prize!

1. NViousGeek
    NViousGeek
    With your sleeve firmly in place your diet priorities will change. You just won't be able to stomach as much as you did in the past. Your priorities on what you want to eat will change because of this. Protein will become king in your diet and you will get much more satisfaction out of protein than you will out of something that is largely carbohydrate rich.

I'm going to list 3 great 'snacks' that you can get reasonably priced at Costco.

Almonds
    What makes them great is that 1/4 of a cup of almonds has 6g of protein with 3g of fiber and only 6g of carbohydrates. A good way to determine if the carbs are worth eating is by how much fiber it has with it. 50% fiber is pretty darn good! Blue Diamond makes a number of flavors that are fantastic. I really like the Wasabi & Soy Sauce flavor they pack a punch that makes them hard to overindulge on.

Korean BBQ Pork Jerkey (Golden Island Natural Brand can be found at Costco or Amazon)
    Pork Jerkey? Yes! Pork Jerkey. And here is why; it's more protein dense and it doesn't have much sugar in it. A one ounce serving packs 8g of protein. With only 5g of sugar and 11g of total carbs. Amazingly enough it even has 2g of fiber. What are these.. magical pigs? I would suggest, YES! They must be.

Say Cheesse! I buy the Cello brand cracker cut slices from Costco.
    They are quite the bargain, cost wise and snack wise. A 1oz serving (depending on which cheese you select) will pack 6-8g of protein.
    The French Swiss type happens to pack 8g and it is my favorite of the 4 cheeses included. If you don't have issues with cheese, this is a great snack for you and it may hit the spot because it has some fat in it that will make you feel satisfied.

So why do I recommend keeping your eye on sugar and protein density? Because with your sleeve; those things will help you keep your cravings at bay and will help keep the scale moving down.
    Hopefully this help you all out!

Hit me with a message if you have any questions!
  2. robcombs1
    robcombs1
    Thanks for the tip!
  3. ProHeadhunter
    ProHeadhunter
    I am glad you mentioned this. I was an avid cyclist prior to my children and my fat. I plan to saddle up again but I was worried how to fuel before and during my ride. I plan on doing Seattle to Portland in July. My thought was to put protein in my water but it's going to be hot and probably won't fair well.
  4. NViousGeek
    NViousGeek
    Hi ProHeadhunter,
    I think you bring up an interesting point. I will write a post that specifically addresses this. Fuel alone is a good topic.